Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I'm home...!

Hi everybody,

I'm a huge Pontiac fanatic (I guess that's pretty common here) so I'm pretty pumped to have found this site. I am 26 years old and did not have the pleasure of growing up with the legacy Pontiacs (GTO, Trans Am etc.) but I am quite familiar and envious of those who own any of the classics or the modern cars. I am still quite frustrated with GM's decision to discontinue their best franchise, but life goes on, and I someday hope to own a G8.

I should confess, I don't currently own a Pontiac (yeah, I know...)

I drove a Pontiac from 2008-2014 until I unfortunately was involved in a car accident and totaled my 2005 Pontiac Grand Am (I plan to have pictures up soon). Truly dreadful day for me (thankfully nobody was hurt) and I've since moved on to a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. A lot of things factored into my decision to go the Hyundai route, one of which being finances (I got a 'family loyalty' discount since my parents both drive Hyundais) plus I genuinely do like the car, but I still miss my Pontiac and am saving up to one day buy a G8 or other Pontiac vehicle.

While I'm not against GM by any means, I refuse to support them unless they someday bring back the Pontiac OR even sell the rights to somebody else. Why have the trademark if you're not going to use it, that's my gripe.

Anyway, I look forward to get to know the other members on the board and perhaps even learn more about the Pontiac brand and its history (and hopeful future).

Some of my friends think I'm nuts because of my love of Pontiac. Interestingly enough, a few of my friends who don't follow automotive happenings didn't even know that Pontiac wasn't being made anymore. After my car accident, many asked why I didn't get a new Pontiac and I had to tell them there was no such thing. I just found that interesting, that some people still assume Pontiac is an ongoing thing. I still see a ton of them on the road and hope to continue seeing them.

That said, I'm glad to be in a community where my fandom won't be perceived as "crazy". I have to say, I'm the only one in my inner circle to sport a Pontiac shirt, racing hat, not to mention my Firebird keychain which I love. Yes, I'm a geek.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You don't want to see it post accident (quite ugly, but yes I do actually have a picture of the wreck), but it was a nice one in it's time. Silver Grand Am with the spoiler (I don't believe it was the GT trim though) and ran great the entire 6 years I owned it. I really wanted to get it over 300,000 miles (or more) but it only made it to 158,000.

Before that, I had a 98 Chrysler that was gifted to me from my Grandmother who barely drove it. Nice car but the engine started knocking at 50,000 which turned out to be a blessing in disguise because that's when I went shopping for my Pontiac

Welcome to FP. Few could be more bummed about the loss of the Pontiac brand then me. Retired from Pontiac Motor Division while we were building the G6. My daughter wanted one of the last cars DAD built. So after ordering I got the build number and got her into the plant and follow the build on the line. She was even able to install a few parts along the way. My 1st NEW car was my Sunbird, which I still have, a 9yr 66 GTO restoration...still ongoing. She will always have her G6 as well. By now, most peeps here are going....WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT.... But I'm not going to go off on you about what your driving now. Sounds like your someone that will pick up a Pontiac. Saving, restoring, rebuilding is what will keep the Pontiac brand alive. Old Pontiac's never die...they become legends! Nuff said.

...and follow the build on the line...

post-15-0-32590200-1431798821.gif

seriously tho, thats awesome.

• Like 1

That is seriously awesome, Justa6. I'm honored to be talking to a former employee of Pontiac and thank you for your service. The G6 is a nice car, for sure. I hope she gets a long, long life out of the G6 (which I'm sure she will) and I know I would've kept my Grand Am until 300,000 miles and beyond had it been in the cards. It was a V6, 3.4 L engine, did well on gas (better than I thought it would) and never gave me any problems. The only minor issue were the brakes, I had to have them redone almost every 20,000 miles and I had to change the headlights more often towards the end of the car's life but again, I'm not complaining. It was an honor to drive a Pontiac for over 6 years and I'm planning to get a G8 in the future (when the price comes down... if the price comes down) just to have as a 'casual driving' car (while I let my Elantra get all beat up from the commuting I do)

Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures of anything on this computer (I'm using my parents' computer for the time being, since my laptop needs to be replaced). Looking back on it, I do wish I had taken more pictures of 'Ponty' (I nicknamed the car 'Ponty Mython') but isn't that how it usually goes? You never know what you got until its gone.

The accident happened last October, when I was merging onto the highway. The guy in front of me (driving a Ford F-150, go figure) came to a dead stop because his hood flew up on his face. I had about 2 seconds to react -- not fast enough. I was probably going about 40 when I hit him. I actually barely felt it, there was a loud bump and the windshield cracked, but then I got out of the car and I knew almost right away it was totaled. The passenger side was almost completely taken out in the front, headlight, front bumper, everything gone, side mirror gone, etc.

Being the warrior it was, it still drove far enough for me to get off the road and onto the shoulder safely, (on 3 tires, mind you). I know I shouldn't be as mad as I am but what fueled me further was the guy in front of me had multiple offenses on his driving record. He was an older guy and had a suspended license, and many dui's. I don't believe he was drunk that night (although nothing would surprise me, honestly) and he was out because he was taking his dog for a ride (it was a nice looking Saint Bernard though, I couldn't be mad at that face). So, just a victim of bad timing and circumstances. Of course, his truck was fine, but ironically, he couldn't drive it home because when the police showed up to get the report, it came to light that his license was suspended, so his truck had to be towed home.

Strangely enough, not even a week later, I saw a white grand am for sale in my area on someone's front lawn. Tempting until I saw the condition of it. It was a 2000 model, but had a crack in the front bumper and the inside looked like dogs had ravaged it. I didn't want a salvage project at that point.

That is seriously awesome, Justa6. I'm honored to be talking to a former employee of Pontiac and thank you for your service. The G6 is a nice car, for sure. I hope she gets a long, long life out of the G6 (which I'm sure she will) and I know I would've kept my Grand Am until 300,000 miles and beyond had it been in the cards. It was a V6, 3.4 L engine, did well on gas (better than I thought it would) and never gave me any problems. The only minor issue were the brakes, I had to have them redone almost every 20,000 miles and I had to change the headlights more often towards the end of the car's life but again, I'm not complaining. It was an honor to drive a Pontiac for over 6 years and I'm planning to get a G8 in the future (when the price comes down... if the price comes down) just to have as a 'casual driving' car (while I let my Elantra get all beat up from the commuting I do)

Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures of anything on this computer (I'm using my parents' computer for the time being, since my laptop needs to be replaced). Looking back on it, I do wish I had taken more pictures of 'Ponty' (I nicknamed the car 'Ponty Mython') but isn't that how it usually goes? You never know what you got until its gone.

The accident happened last October, when I was merging onto the highway. The guy in front of me (driving a Ford F-150, go figure) came to a dead stop because his hood flew up on his face. I had about 2 seconds to react -- not fast enough. I was probably going about 40 when I hit him. I actually barely felt it, there was a loud bump and the windshield cracked, but then I got out of the car and I knew almost right away it was totaled. The passenger side was almost completely taken out in the front, headlight, front bumper, everything gone, side mirror gone, etc.

Being the warrior it was, it still drove far enough for me to get off the road and onto the shoulder safely, (on 3 tires, mind you). I know I shouldn't be as mad as I am but what fueled me further was the guy in front of me had multiple offenses on his driving record. He was an older guy and had a suspended license, and many dui's. I don't believe he was drunk that night (although nothing would surprise me, honestly) and he was out because he was taking his dog for a ride (it was a nice looking Saint Bernard though, I couldn't be mad at that face). So, just a victim of bad timing and circumstances. Of course, his truck was fine, but ironically, he couldn't drive it home because when the police showed up to get the report, it came to light that his license was suspended, so his truck had to be towed home.

Strangely enough, not even a week later, I saw a white grand am for sale in my area on someone's front lawn. Tempting until I saw the condition of it. It was a 2000 model, but had a crack in the front bumper and the inside looked like dogs had ravaged it. I didn't want a salvage project at that point.

It's great to see young guys/gals with the passion. You will be the future of keeping the legend alive. My daughters have been brought up at carshows, my son in FLA is a gearhead too. My grandson drives a slick LIL Malibu that he luv's, but is not the all out racer his DAD is.

Glad you were not hurt, sounds like it was pretty intense.

• Founders

Yikes, that sounds like just bad timing all around. That stinks, guy should have known better to slam on his brakes on the highway. Oh, well sure it was a reaction to the hood flying up. Like JUSTA said, the main thing is that you weren't hurt. Even though we love these cars more than life itself sometimes, they can be replaced and we can't.

It's great to see young guys/gals with the passion. You will be the future of keeping the legend alive. My daughters have been brought up at carshows, my son in FLA is a gearhead too. My grandson drives a slick LIL Malibu that he luv's, but is not the all out racer his DAD is.

Glad you were not hurt, sounds like it was pretty intense.

It seemed worse than it was. Considering how fast I was going and how quick it was, and the fact that the Ford truck was built so tough (some pun intended), I would've assumed more injury had I not been there myself. It really felt like just a bad speed bump, as weird as that sounds. I hear Pontiacs are actually pretty safe cars (although I'd imagine that varies by model). My mom had a Pontiac in the 80s before I was born which got into a bad accident (actually flipped over) and she was okay. Another friend of mine recently got into an accident in her G6 and was fine, the car also survived.

I realize that's a small sample size but given what happened and how bad the car looked, you would've thought there would be a major injury. Thankfully I didn't have anyone in the passenger seat that night because that side looked worse.

Awesome -- what year was your Grand Am? Definitely an excellent car.

In a weird moment I had today, I guess you could say I "saw a ghost". I saw a silver Grand Am on the road, looked to be similar to mine and eerily enough it was completely smashed up on the right side, missing a headlight (I didn't think you could drive like that) and almost reminded me of what my car would've looked like if I had somehow salvaged it. I mean, obviously this one was still on the road (mine was missing 2 tires and had a lot of other issues) but I was like "damn... I love seeing Pontiacs on the road but that just made me sad"

I love the black Grand-Ams (mine was silver) because they remind me of the batmobile (as does the 2000s firebirds) That is a nice looking "heap" I'll give you that. I had some minor issues with mine but nothing too overly expensive. Usually brakes or tail lights 

Mine was an 03 GAGT sedan. It looked pretty, but was a FORDing heap.

So many things constantly went wrong with it.

I blame the owner. lol2.gif

My '03 GAGT is still going strong and all she needs is a good paint job to make her look new again.  Wouldn't hurt to find a newer set of rims for her too (wish I had never sold those AT Italias's now that I was able to keep her.....)

I blame the owner. :lol2:

My '03 GAGT is still going strong and all she needs is a good paint job to make her look new again.  Wouldn't hurt to find a newer set of rims for her too (wish I had never sold those AT Italias's now that I was able to keep her.....)

Dude, when I sold mine, the LIM gasket was going bad again, it needed ANOTHER cat, it was eating oil, my flowmaster rotted away, blower motor took a crap, an SES light that would not go away, rear defroster was toast...ugh. So much kept going wrong at once. It had to go. :/

Dude, when I sold mine, the LIM gasket was going bad again, it needed ANOTHER cat, it was eating oil, my flowmaster rotted away, blower motor took a crap, an SES light that would not go away, rear defroster was toast...ugh. So much kept going wrong at once. It had to go. :/

I'm just picking on you anyway.  I know that some of the GA owners went through numerous headaches.  I had a few small ones myself but not all at once so it was easily fixed before the next issue.  I've been fortunate and I hope to keep her running smoothly for years to come.  Probably helps that I'm normally driving the G8 and the wife normally drives her T&C minivan.  The GAGT has only driven a few thousand miles in the past year or so...

I'm just picking on you anyway. I know that some of the GA owners went through numerous headaches. I had a few small ones myself but not all at once so it was easily fixed before the next issue. I've been fortunate and I hope to keep her running smoothly for years to come. Probably helps that I'm normally driving the G8 and the wife normally drives her T&C minivan. The GAGT has only driven a few thousand miles in the past year or so...

Yeah, don't let problems snowball out of control. My last job, it just drained any energy I had in my free time to work on it. Honestly, I was getting sick of it anyway.

I'm just picking on you anyway.  I know that some of the GA owners went through numerous headaches.  I had a few small ones myself but not all at once so it was easily fixed before the next issue.  I've been fortunate and I hope to keep her running smoothly for years to come.  Probably helps that I'm normally driving the G8 and the wife normally drives her T&C minivan.  The GAGT has only driven a few thousand miles in the past year or so...

So jealous lol,

The G8 is my favorite modern Pontiac (my favorite classic being the GTO) and something I'm very interested in getting in the future (money permitting). As for the Grand Am, i heard all these stories prior to buying mine about all the numerous problems and I thought about it but in the end Im very glad I went the route I did. I did have a "Service Engine" light for a very odd reason (EGR valve malfunction or something)... I never even had the part replaced but it eventually went off and stayed off for the life of the car. Other than that, I just had to change brakes a couple times and the headlights started going out more frequently towards the end but I couldn't complain. Never any maintenance bill above 400 (and that was only once, for the brakes). Car would still probably be running today if not for the accident. 

I'd be curious to know how long those engines last in terms of miles. I've heard they can go over 300k