Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

TH350 to 200R4 Conversion

Has anyone done this swap? I need some advice. I am planning on putting a 2004R in my 1979 TA with the Olds 403. I need to know what crossmember will work with this swap? Do I need to find a TH400 crossmember or can I just move mine back the six inches. Any advice on this swap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You will need to upgrade your stock shifter to include a new dedent for the overdrive. A $100 kit from Shiftworks should do the trick, you can re-use the stock tranny cable and shifter to keep it stock appearing.

The TH350 and TH200-4R are the same length but the mounting location for the cross member for the 200-4R is 6 inches towards the rear, so you will need a special cross member. You can re-use your stock drive shaft though.

You will need a T.V. cable that you attach to throttle linkage and the transmission and a lock-up wiring harness kit for the lock-up torque converter. You may also need speedometer cable gears to keep your speedo accurate.

You can contact a company called Bowtie Overdrives. They have conversion kits for both 700R4s and 200-4Rs. Call them and ask them for advice. They also sell the parts I've mentioned. They sell a second gen Camaro cross member for the 200-4R, it should fit your Firebird, but you should verify it with them.

With the cross member moved back 6 inches, pay attention next to your exhaust and catalytic converter to insure there is no interference with them.

http://www.shiftworks.com/firebird68-81.htm

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/

• Like 1