Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

brandyv73's 1968 Firebird

2019 June
of the Month

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done this swap? I need some advice. I am planning on putting a 2004R in my 1979 TA with the Olds 403. I need to know what crossmember will work with this swap? Do I need to find a TH400 crossmember or can I just move mine back the six inches. Any advice on this swap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You will need to upgrade your stock shifter to include a new dedent for the overdrive. A $100 kit from Shiftworks should do the trick, you can re-use the stock tranny cable and shifter to keep it stock appearing.

The TH350 and TH200-4R are the same length but the mounting location for the cross member for the 200-4R is 6 inches towards the rear, so you will need a special cross member. You can re-use your stock drive shaft though.

You will need a T.V. cable that you attach to throttle linkage and the transmission and a lock-up wiring harness kit for the lock-up torque converter. You may also need speedometer cable gears to keep your speedo accurate.

You can contact a company called Bowtie Overdrives. They have conversion kits for both 700R4s and 200-4Rs. Call them and ask them for advice. They also sell the parts I've mentioned. They sell a second gen Camaro cross member for the 200-4R, it should fit your Firebird, but you should verify it with them.

With the cross member moved back 6 inches, pay attention next to your exhaust and catalytic converter to insure there is no interference with them.



  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.