Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My 08 dodge Challenger / Superbird

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Professur said:

Hey, it's not my party.

Just asking for clarification on what you meant.

15 hours ago, Professur said:

Well usually when a guy spends that much time blowing something up, it's got three holes in it.

Got it...thanks.

• Like 1

A bit of sad news. Yesterday, I took my first good look at the Parisienne ... Looks like the rockers on the driver's side are holed. That's it ... even if they were repoped .. there's no way I'll ever have the time necessary to fix that.  Sucks, but I'm gonna have to call it.

Well that sucks....those French Canuckistani iron moths are really viscous.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Probably was eaten from the chassis side to the inside. Or does your door/windows leak?

Edited by Frosty

Didn't have the time to investigate ... but it doesn't matter. I already had to redo the floors. Making new ones by hand would be difficult. Making replacement rocker panels by hand ... damn near impossible. But even if it was easy ... I simply don't have enough hours in a day to spare for a car that wouldn't be my primary classic, or a daily driver.

So stupid me looks on Kijiji and finds ... a 1990 Pontiac Firefly convertible for $800. Why do I do this to myself?

39 minutes ago, Professur said:

So stupid me looks on Kijiji and finds ... a 1990 Pontiac Firefly convertible for $800. Why do I do this to myself?

Cronic case of sadomasochism?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

I think you're right. It's not even the turbo, although they've got the turbo hood and trunk lid. Suggests the engine isn't original. Also suggests under 60hp. I tried one of these some years back ... in automatic. Walked away from it .. hell, I could have walked away from it while it was pulling away at full throttle, it was so gutless. But I put that down to it being an automatic. I did also once drive a manual Firefly with the intercooled turbo. Wasn't anything to make me consider trading in my Colt. But a ragtop for summer ... might be worth it. After all .... NOS is a pretty simple install.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/longueuil-rive-sud/1990-pontiac-firefly-cabriolet/1264185034

Sadly, this ad doesn't tell you which engine it is: 1.0L I3, 1.0L I3 turbo, 1.3L 8V I4, 1.3L 16V I4, 1.5L 16V I4, or 1.6L 16V I4.

So given your luck, it might be the truly gutless wonder 1.0L I3. Funny how there are no pictures of the engine or the interior? You'd think he could open the door and the hood, and perhaps the boot too.

Also the pictures look like the ragtop needs to be replaced given what I see on either side of the windshield, but that is not surprising for a ragtop that is 27 years old.

With a 160k, do you think the motor will hold up to NOS for very long? Still I like where you going with it.

Emailed the owner. It's the 1.0l The only pic of the inside has the driver seat upholstery separated at the seam.  The roof is $295 US for fabric and plastic window. A set of walmart seat covers deals with the inside. Engine-wise ... the Suzuki engine does have a decent aftermarket support .. and that block should be easy enough to replace with a more modern sibling. Probably wouldn't even need a cherry picker .. just Clint Eastwood it right outta there.

Call me Kreskin. Can you post a video of this to YouTube? I want to cook some popcorn and watch you do it. Probably a lot more entertaining than the new "Mummy" movie. Almost as funny as Letterkenny.

Edited by Frosty

Of me puling the engine? If If If .. sure will .. if.Just read up ... fully dressed, including flywheel and clutch it comes in at 138lbs.

Edited by Professur

Great. Can't wait for the premiere!

Of course now that means you have to explain to the wife why you want to spend $800...and what that means to the driveway situation. I don't envy you that particular task.

Well ... I just called the guy that buys my scrappers and arranged for the jeep to leave monday morning.  That'll give me the weekend to come to terms with surrendering the Parisienne. Of course ... while I was being stupid on Kijiji, I did come across a '95 3.4l Firebird. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/laval-rive-nord/1995-pontiac-firebird-other/1271706641?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Decisions, decisions.

I vote Firebird. Not just because I own one. Sheet metal, seals, suspension, and drivetrain parts are much more readily available. You have whole plethora of catalogs to choose from to get parts for this car. The Firefly/Suzuki/Geo - not so much.

Also T-tops are the next best thing to a convertible. Or look for a convertible Firebird with a V6.

Bullshit .. t-tops are just sunroofs with guaranteed leaks. They're as close to a convertible as a Can-Am Spyder is to a motorbike ... that is to say, not at all. You know the only way to keep a t-top from leaking? Fill the inside of the car with water right to the top.

Now that said ... the '95 would make a nice home for a 3800 with supercharger. Pretty much what it should have come with from the beginning. But it's an automatic. I want to row.

We built two supercharged 3800 Firebirds back at Flint V6 Engineering. They both hauled serious ass. One was a convertible. Both went to the crusher sadly. It's definitely possibly.

How long can you hold your breath while driving?

Edited by Frosty

Longer than I can hold someone else's. I dunno. The Firefly is just so much more rare and unique. The 'Bird is a dime a dozen

True and the parts are more available and less expensive and time consuming to find.

Granted the Firelfy would turn heads, especially in the states. Just how readily available are these parts?