Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

interchangeable rear end

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You can use a caprice up to I believe 88 as that B body went until that year. They started in 77. Just be mindful of the rear end gear ratio so you do not have to fiddle with the speedo gear in the transmission.

I punch the gas round a curve and i heard a snap. The it started thumping hard as i accelerated. Before that i use to hear a humming sound from the rear end while accelerating. Has 400/th350

I punch the gas round a curve and i heard a snap. The it started thumping hard as i accelerated. Before that i use to hear a humming sound from the rear end while accelerating. Has 400/th350

Are you thinking of replacing the rear end with a used replacement rear end as a cheap alternative rather than opening it up and replacing any damaged parts?

That may depend on the salvage yard and the availability of these rear ends in your area. That may work. As notallthere warns, you may get a different rear end gear ratio from what you have now and that will impact your speedometer.

Is the car driveable? Or have you stopped driving it until you get it fixed?

Sounds like the limited slip is binding on turns. If it comes apart, does'nt take much to pop the clip and the whole tire and axle slips out like in a cartoon. :slap: I wouldn't be drivin it! Rear end shop should fix for around 800.00. (that's around here) And you get a warranty. Junkyard swap will cost you 4-500.00 installed.

I think at this point, I would go purchase a posi unit from (say) Summit Racing to replace the limited slip with whatever gear ratio you have and re-build it with a reputable mechanic and spend the $800 or so that JUSTA is suggesting. A junk yard rear end will get you done the road for sure, but you have no idea of how many miles are on it, there is no warranty, guarentee, or peace of mind that it will last. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Finally, my last piece of advice is this - do your homework.

1. Determine what gear ratio you have in your original rear end. This will help figure out what you are looking either in a salvage yard rear end or ordering replacement parts.

2. Set a realistic budget for parts and labor (removal and installation), especially if you are doing the work yourself.

3, How long can you be without the car - especially if this is a daily driver?

Just as a point of reference, most totally new rear ends complete are around $1200-1500 and up.