Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS GM recalls 218,000 Chevy Aveo models over fire-prone lighting

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Recalls, Safety, Chevrolet

2007-chevy-aveo.jpg

The recall train keeps on rolling for General Motors. Hot on the heels of its recent 2.4 million-vehicle recall of various models, it's now calling in 218,000 Chevrolet Aveo units from the 2004-2008 model years because they could catch fire.

The problem concerns the daytime running light module in the instrument panel. It could overheat, melt and cause a fire. According to GM spokesperson Alan Adler, "We are aware of some fires," and the company "is still investigating." Adler wouldn't comment about how many fires were reported or when the automaker was first aware of this issue because of the ongoing analysis. However, he said the issue has not caused any injuries or fatalities.

GM also doesn't have a fix for the problem with the DRL module yet. The company says in its recall statement to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the remedy "is still under development." Adler wasn't sure when it would be ready, but he said Aveo owners would receive notification in the mail "relatively soon." They will receive a second letter later to schedule the repair.

In a separate letter about the Aveo's problem to NHTSA (viewable here as a PDF), GM said its Executive Field Action Decision Committee decided to conduct the recall on May 16. Scroll down for the recall report.

Continue reading GM recalls 218,000 Chevy Aveo models over fire-prone lighting

GM recalls 218,000 Chevy Aveo models over fire-prone lighting originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 21 May 2014 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=zLVAtc3J4qo:-XbWk5rPE1Q:wF9xT autoblog?i=zLVAtc3J4qo:-XbWk5rPE1Q:V_sGL
zLVAtc3J4qo

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/zLVAtc3J4qo/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Are DRL's a law in any state? Vaguely remember seeing it somewhere... Not like they're needed and you do have a good excuse "I could catch fire"

GM voluntarily started installing DRLs back in the 90s as a good safety item. In Canada, DRL became mandatory in some foggy coastal provinces prior to that.

I am not aware of any state or federal laws mandating DRLs, but other manufacturers followed GM's lead. I am told DRLs consume about .25 to .5 HP to operate (mind you this was back in the 90s when the first came out - I hope they've gotten more efficient)