Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

SPRINT 6's 1966 LEMANS 2DR HT

2018 August
of the Month

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Sign in to follow this  
Ringo64

RSS This awesome Terrafugia electric vehicle will fly, someday [w/video]

Filed under: Etc., EV/Plug-in, Hybrid

terrafugia-flying-car-hybrid.png

We're trying to figure out how the term "range anxiety" will apply to the Terrafugia TF-X flying car. Is it going to be applicable to the pilot or to others in the sky? The reason we ask is because the vehicle is a plug-in hybrid, so those batteries better well be charged up. But, according to the potential manufacturer, flying the vehicle will require only five hours of training, so getting too close could produce a different kind of anxiety.

Massachusetts-based Terrafugia says the four-seater plug-in hybrid plane, despite what we think are some awful short wings, will be capable of vertical take-offs and landings, Design & Trend reports. It will have two 600-horsepower electric motors and a 300-horsepower fuel engine that should give it a range of at least 500 miles. The company says only five hours of pilot training will be required because of the plane's connection to a data network that will essentially control the aircraft's flight path. Either way, the plane will fit in a single-car garage. Which is nice.

The name Terrafugia should be familiar because we've been covering the company since the first prototype was announced in 2006. The company made news last year with a test flight demonstration for its Transition flying car. That model is supposed to start sales in 2015 or 2016 carrying an estimated price tag of $279,000. While we wait for that, you can check out a nicely CGI'd video of the TF-X hybrid below.

Continue reading This awesome Terrafugia electric vehicle will fly, someday [w/video]

This awesome Terrafugia electric vehicle will fly, someday [w/video] originally appeared on Autoblog Green on Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:03:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=ce99hCUNRE0:_ezpn_z2PM8:wF9xT autoblog?i=ce99hCUNRE0:_ezpn_z2PM8:V_sGL
ce99hCUNRE0

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/ce99hCUNRE0/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Looked cool but none of us will ever be able to afford something like that

Didn't we try a flying car back in like the 50s? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

See a huge problem, batteries currently weigh... a lot. To make flight time worth while, the amount of batteries you need will be... a lot. Guess using a hybrid model you exchange some batteries for a gas-powered engine but still that's going to weigh... a lot.

Be interesting to see what happens with this. I just don't think we're ready, nor would I be comfortable to fly, erm glide, in this.

Meh wife has her pilot's license and I can go flying any time I do not want to go.