Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS This is what Microsoft's latest Windows In The Car looks like

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Technology, Videos, Infotainment

microsoft-windows-car.jpg

Following Apple's unveiling of CarPlay at this year's Geneva Motor Show, Microsoft used its recent Build developer conference to reveal how it plans to allow the integration of its smartphones with automobiles. Instead of automakers using Microsoft programming to create their own infotainment interfaces, this would port your mobile phone's screen onto the car's touchscreen but with the look of the Windows "Metro" UI.

The system uses the Mirrorlink standard, which is (also) a rival to CarPlay, the major difference between the two being that Mirrorlink can port Windows, Android and Blackberry phone systems, and Google has its own Open Automotive Alliance dedicated to Android integration. Automakers won't have to choose just one, having come together to establish open standards that can incorporate the different systems.

Microsoft's concept provides almost complete control of what's on your phone, throws in GPS data like speed limits and some vehicular controls, and will let developers create apps that adhere to safe driving protocols. The system doesn't have a name or an arrival date yet, but Microsoft is testing it out on the road right now. You can watch it be demonstrated - and yes, crash, since it's pre-production software - in the video below.

Continue reading This is what Microsoft's latest Windows In The Car looks like

This is what Microsoft's latest Windows In The Car looks like originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 07 Apr 2014 13:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=6QhMe5ibTvk:yue-IlonZRE:wF9xT autoblog?i=6QhMe5ibTvk:yue-IlonZRE:V_sGL
6QhMe5ibTvk

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/6QhMe5ibTvk/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I don't need something else trying to tell me I'm driving too fast thou..

Yeah! That's what blown head gaskets are for!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• Founders

I'm interested this what Microsoft has to offer as it sounds like it will all around encompass more devices from a porting perspective. Apple said that you will be able to use some features if you're not running iOS but no all of its CarPlay.