Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS Report: GM design boss Welburn says Lincoln isn't a Cadillac rival [w/poll]

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Cadillac, GM, Lincoln, Design/Style

c67ce6463ce4da11af9f0014c2589dfb.jpeg

General Motors Vice President of Global Design, Ed Welburn, had some dismissive words for a certain cross-town luxury brand during an interview with Car and Driver. When asked about his thoughts on Lincoln, Welburn deflected, before saying, "I don't consider Lincoln to be a competitor for Cadillac."

"They're not a global luxury brand. I don't consider them a competitor. Are they a competitor for Buick? Quite possibly. But not for Cadillac," GM's head designer explained. Welburn, who's been at the helm of GM Design North America since 2003 and is the first to hold the position of VP of Global Design, has been instrumental in the styling renaissance at GM, so predictably, Car and Driver's interview with him focused on the design aspect of cars.

During the interview, Welburn explicitly denied plans for a reborn Cadillac XLR, even as a new Chevrolet Corvette is hitting the market and strides are being made with Cadillac's V-Series performance arm saying, "We have a lot of cars that we're working on for the Cadillac brand. The XLR is not one of them right now."

Predictably, there was also talk of the gorgeous Elmiraj Concept. "I think Cadillac needs to be a full-line luxury brand. There are categories that we don't participate in, presently, that we will in the future," Welburn said. "We have more vehicles under development today than at any other time in the history of the brand. But I'm not going to tell you which ones we're going to do. There's a lot that we're working on. And we're certainly looking at that [points to the Elmiraj] for production."

You can read the entire interview over at Car and Driver. Meanwhile, we've put together a little poll for you below.

View Poll

GM design boss Welburn says Lincoln isn't a Cadillac rival [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=o8Hu7x72YEE:RPGLJXTJ5Kw:wF9xT autoblog?i=o8Hu7x72YEE:RPGLJXTJ5Kw:V_sGL
o8Hu7x72YEE

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/o8Hu7x72YEE/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!