Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

LED Questions/Concerns

I have been looking at adding LED lights to my exterior, tail lights, side markers, and front turn signals. I have been looking at replacement bulbs only with the understanding I'd need to get a new flasher unit. The site is...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1975-pontiac-firebird--/48-532--/

What I'm wondering, and I'll call the place but was looking to hear what others have to say as well, is do I just buy one bulb and it will replace the multifunctional bulb already there?

I have also looked at RestoreAMuscleCar and FbodyWarehouse products.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

one bulb would replace one bulb (like normal) and should do the same job (with the flasher unit most likely). there shouldnt be any issues with side markers or front turn signals in terms of light direction. but with tail lights, do not use directional bulbs as they would look like a red dot in the housing and does not light it up in there. is there any specialty kits or thought about creating your own?

I've been looking at some specialty kits and may just go that route since buying the individual bulbs, in the end, will cost almost as much. There are two other companies that have been suggested from other forums Digi-Tails for the rear and VLEDS for front turn signals and side markers.

I have heard others debate this on other forums. It has been said that that LED bulb replacements are the most economical and literally replace the existing bulb, but they also give off the least amount of light (from a LED perspective). An LED bulb still gives off more light than the stock incandescent bulb however.

The next solution would be a LED conversion card (an LED circuit board that spans the entire tail light lens - thus lighting more area that the bulb can) that would fit inside the entire tail light lens assembly and plug into all the bulb outlets and work with the stock lights, turn signals, and brake lights. The next step would be to buy a complete LED assembly - which replaces the entire tailight (bulbs and lens as a unit). This assumes that these units are commercially available for your car.

As you can see, you can get progressively more expensive - depending on what you want to pay for and what you want other drives to see. At $5-6 a bulb I would start there and see how much you and friends like and can see your tail lights. Besides, isn't that the view of them you want everyone to see anyway??????