Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I was a teacher today.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I was captured explaining to some greenhorns about engines using my tractor as an example.

1460219_10201474368835765_1297336965_n.j

FROSTY ARE YOU PROUD OF ME!?

Yes I am Havoc.

Who and what exactly were you teaching them?

Some friends I had over. How timing works and the Otto cycle. I actually also explained the difference between diesel and petrol engines and what a "runaway" diesel is and how to stop it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Nothing handson to do. It was a lot of pointing and talking and then answering questions. Homework was to help me with the rebuild of the Touch Control system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I always enjoyed opportunities to teach auto mechanics. Years ago, I knew two sisters who wanted to learn, so I used to take old junk parts we had around, explain them, have them tear them apart and put them back together. Taught them most of what I knew. One day, my 65 Impala wagon needed a carb rebuild. They wanted to do it, so I showed them to the tools, gave them the kit, and let them have at it. They got it right the first time, but(if I must say so myself) they DID have a good teacher, after all. ;)

I've taught a good amount of my friends the basics of car maintenance.

Brakes for example, I've shown some of my car illiterate friends how to do a brake job, they were baffled how simple it actually is.

I had the distinction, in my late teens and early twenties, of being the go to guy when my friends had serious car issues. My grandfather owned his own shop for many years and taught me all about cars. Since I've owned newer vehicles than he ever did, my knowledge has now surpassed that of his time, but that was where initial my love of cars, auto mechanics, and driving started. You certainly wouldn't have found any of my "emergency procedures" in any manual, but they always got a car down the road in times of need.

You're lucky...I'm an anomaly in my family. There's no car guys or mechanics in my family like me. Everything I've learned and experienced, I've gone out of my way to learn and experience for myself.

There were quite a few car fanatics and hot rodders in my family, but my grandfather was the main influence on me. He would do stuff like buy a 1/2 ton Chevy pick up and stuff a 455 Olds motor and tranny in the body. The '66 3/4 ton Dodge Camper Special was another fun one. That one got its 318 replaced with a 440 out of a '73 Chrysler Imperial. So, when I was building a '67 two door Plymouth Fury II ride, out came its 318 and in went a 383. Ah, the good old days...............

And my aunt's husband stuck a 390 cubic inch Ford police engine into a '78 LTD body, originally equipped with a 351 Windsor.

You're lucky...I'm an anomaly in my family. There's no car guys or mechanics in my family like me. Everything I've learned and experienced, I've gone out of my way to learn and experience for myself.

This is the same for me. I learned myself and from a few people I got to know over the years. Including the people on this site