Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS Study: 1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car [w/poll]

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Safety, Technology

182525293.jpg

Autonomous cars are coming - it's just a matter of when and how quickly they will be adapted by buyers. To help find the answer to the latter, CarInsurance.com polled 2,000 licensed drivers, which returned some very interesting results regarding self-driving cars.

Perhaps the most interesting statistic pulled from the study is that one in five drivers (20 percent) are willing to completely give up driving if autonomous cars were currently available. Since a self-driving car is also expected to operate in a safer manner compared to humans (especially those distracted, aggressive or drunk), car insurance rates could also drop when these cars hit the market, and 33 percent of those in the study said they would buy an autonomous car if rates dropped by 80 percent - a rate reduction that had 90 percent of respondents "very likely" to consider such technology.

Digging a little deeper, the study found that just over half of those polled put more trust in autonomous vehicles designed by automakers (as opposed to communications or software companies), but the majority still had reservations about cars that are able to drive themselves. Three-quarters said that they can drive better than a computer and that they wouldn't trust an autonomous car to take their kids to school, and almost two-thirds said that computers don't have the decision-making skills of humans.

So, what would passengers of autonomous cars do with all their free time in the car? According to the survey, about two percent would "hold on for dear life." What about you? Scroll down below for the official press release, and then take part in our informal survey below.

View Poll

Continue reading 1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car [w/poll]

1 in 5 say they would never drive again if they had an autonomous car [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=ymUh1E7VQ6k:PkUVLGCjNzE:wF9xT autoblog?i=ymUh1E7VQ6k:PkUVLGCjNzE:V_sGL
ymUh1E7VQ6k

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/ymUh1E7VQ6k/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

I go back and forth on this. I think its great for those who hate driving (or can't) but I hope it never becomes a law that you can't manually drive a car.

There are a lot of situations I'm not sure you could program for while driving.

interesting...dont think id give up driving. especially if they look like that.

I don't trust a machine lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

cuz theyre all out to run you over?

Oh hell no. I like driving wherever I want to. Ever just drive, to...you know, drive?

I dunno how many times I've just gotten in my car and drive with no destination. Just because.

Oh hell no. I like driving wherever I want to. Ever just drive, to...you know, drive? 

I dunno how many times I've just gotten in my car and drive with no destination. Just because.

This. I do this all the time, sometimes to just clear my head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk