Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

We look forward to seeing you around!

Sign in to follow this  
mack

2001 Grand am

Question

Driving down the highway I saw lots of smoke coming out of my engine bay, when i pulled over and looked under the hood i had oil on the driver side just behind the power steering pump pretty much every where, i took some to look for a possible leak cause and was unable to find any immediate problems, but there is a lot of oil, no noise accompanied the oil leak, any ideas or experiance on what the problem could be? an extra note the power steering pump and sealing surface aria is clean i just dont know if its an oil line, valve cover, or head gasket or mabey something i missed completly

13 answers to this question

Are we talking 4 or 6 cylinder here? Either way, if you have that much oil all over, the leak should be fairly obvious. Try looking while the engine is running but I'd be very careful about driving it very far until you find the leak. Maybe top off the oil even before starting it to ensure you aren't too low to begin with.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Clean the oil. Start your car in the driveway and just look under the hood. See if you can spot the location.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Letting us know if it's a four or six cylinder is going to help out immensely. I know the V6 wasn't known for oil leaks like that.

Also, pictures will really help us figure out where the leak could be as well.

Letting us know if it's a four or six cylinder is going to help out immensely. I know the V6 wasn't known for oil leaks like that.

Also, pictures will really help us figure out where the leak could be as well.

Wasn't the 01 SE available with just the I4?

Wasn't the 01 SE available with just the I4?

v6 was always available on SE's. I actually think 05 was only v6's....

v6 was always available on SE's. I actually think 05 was only v6's....

Ahh, I wasn't sure. I don't know much about anything but the x-bodies.

Ahh, I wasn't sure. I don't know much about anything but the x-bodies.

:slap: How dare you know nothing about a platform you don't own :P

SE's could have either or.

The SE was available with the L61 or LA1 even in 2005. I know the SE coupe was dropped after 2002, so finding L61 SE coupe (2002 only) is quite the nice find.

But anyway, OP let us know what engine it has.

2.4L inline 4. and i did find the leak, the oil pressure switch was leaking by the electrical component, lost almost 3 qt of oil. but it was an easy fix, only had to take off the plenum to get to it, it took more time to get the car to where i was going to work on it and do all the running around than it took to repair it

8 bucks for sensor, and 1 oil change all is good and in working order

Excellent, good to hear you found it

2.4L inline 4. and i did find the leak, the oil pressure switch was leaking by the electrical component, lost almost 3 qt of oil. but it was an easy fix, only had to take off the plenum to get to it, it took more time to get the car to where i was going to work on it and do all the running around than it took to repair it

I had a feeling it was an oil pressure switch. I forgot with the LD9 it's more up top. I'm used to imports with it being in the oil pan...wait, mine was in the oil pan though.

Oh GM.