Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Winter Storage

Hello all...

In certain parts of some of our varied and wonderful countries, winter storage is a necessity. With regards to putting the car up on blocks/jack stands, I've heard both that 'the suspension is built to hold weight vs. just hang there' as well as 'take the weight off the tires and springs to preserve them'.

Currently I put mine on wheel dollies. This allows me to push it up against the garage wall, thereby gaining some real estate for storing other things. I have also put it up on jack stands in the past. Here in Winnipeg, Canada she can sit for 4 to 5 months depending on the seasons...

Thoughts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I usually leave them on the suspension. Ms Notallthere's Fiero gets tarped and left in the driveway as the Chevelle is in the way currently. We start it once a week and bring it up to temperature. Pull forward three feet then back three feet. As for on the tires or off. New tires I see no difference as newer tires are not as fragile as they used to be. If you have all original polyglass then yes off the tires for storage. Modern radials are not necessary just check the tire pressure from time to time.

I have two cars and only one set of wheel dollies. So the ;86 Trans Am gets the wheel dollies since it still has 2 original tires on it. The Lemans has fairly new B F ch T/A Radials on it, so it gets to sit on all 4 wheels. I don't have the luxury of room to jack the car up and move around it all winter either.

I am due for an oil change, so I intend to change the oil on the Lemans before I put it do bed for the winter. I know some guys are religious about an oil change just before bedding their classic ride down for winter to minimize sludge sitting around in the crankcase all winter.

myself,my garage is heated.I would however store it with a full tank,Sta-bil added and at least once a month let it idle till its up to temp.I like the idea of forward park then reverse like notallthere suggested.wheel bearings need loving to.lol As far as jack stands..the old springs lasted for 40yrs why shouldnt the new ones last at least 20? my 2cents..

You will find as many different opinions as we have cars here. Up or down.... I slide a cement block under the A-arms and rear end. ANY tires will develop flat spots sitting for extended periods. Bia's plys such as my Mickey Thompsons are much more prone to this. Blocks only raise the car 1-2 in and also prevents condensation from developing under the tires as well preventing rott. You also want the car to sit on its own suspension, lifting on the frame lets the suspension extend with no weight. Top off your tank (and use Sta-bil) to prevent any or as little as possible air in the tank, preventing room for condensation. Fog the engine til it smokes, this also brings Sta-bil throught the entire fuel system including your fuel bowls on carbed engines. This eliminates the need to start the engine. While starting the engine clears the lines of old gas, it plays hell on your exhaust!!!! Go start your DD and walk back and look at the water/condensation comming out the exhaust. Water, metal...do the math. If the car is not run long enough to heat up and dry out your exhaust, your very expensive exhaust is at risk. Fogging also coats the inside of your exhaust! Keep your battery up every couple months with your charger. Make sure you test your anti-freeze to prevent cooling system prob's. Also keep all the dry packs you find in new electronics and even your JERKY. Place them in a box on your rear seat. Cover the car to prevent UV damage to interior. Storing your baby outside presents its own prob's as its constantly under attack from moisture. Including your brake system and drivetrain. Blocks will allow you put the car in gear if your going to start it now N then. Cover with a good cotton cover before covering with a plastic tarp. This saves your paint from the beating that will be given from wind and plastic tarp. I use these basic's on all my toys from snowmobiles to dirt bike. See ya in the spring.

My winter regiment: move to Florida, drive cars year-round til the storm gets ya and washes you away. :D

added the part you left out. :P

I've never been to concerned about tires and suspension sitting for a long period. It hasn't been an issue for me. However the fuel left in the tank, lines and carb bowl is. The Ethenol in fuel today absorbs water and can corrode your fuel system badly. I can drain the tank but how do you drain the rest?

I've never been to concerned about tires and suspension sitting for a long period. It hasn't been an issue for me. However the fuel left in the tank, lines and carb bowl is. The Ethenol in fuel today absorbs water and can corrode your fuel system badly. I can drain the tank but how do you drain the rest?

Let it run until it uses what's left in the lines/carb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I mean, I use this method to rid the lines of fuel in my tractor after I flip the cut-off valve. It can't be too much different from a car conceptually, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I fill the Beaumont with premium add seafoam run 15min put in corner of garage cover on disconnect battery every few weeks push ahead or back to keep tires changing position

do not start till snow is gone

I throw a bottle of Heet gas antifreeze and water remover and Sta-Bil into the gas tank and then top off the tank before putting it away for the winter. I take the battery out of the car and put in the garage - off the floor and on a battery tender all winter. Sta-Dri packs in the interior and trunk to remove moisture and humidity and mildew, and detour little critters from wanting to make the Lemans their new home.