Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Havoc's '48 Farmall "Progression"

havoc1482

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now through accidentally discovery I found I have a cutout relay and not a voltage regulator. Now I need to replace the light switch label from "O-D-B" to "L-H-D-B". The work never ends uhg

Yummy!!

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVO4hrdY2Sg

Since it was warm I went to change the oil in the final drives and I find this:

One bullgear oil pan is EMPTY and the filler plug for the other is stripped. Awesome.

1794767_10202235213016394_1073593583_n.j

1779779_10202235213176398_130488343_n.jp

Any suggestions for getting it out? Its a 1/2 recessed square plug.

With the pan down, you should be able to see the back of the plug. How much room do you have from the plug to the gear?

With the pan down, you should be able to see the back of the plug. How much room do you have from the plug to the gear?

I dunno. I'll have to check. You thinking I might be able to back it out from the inside? Replacing the plug is the easy part. Getting it out will suck.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm caked oil

I know right? You should have seen the ice chunks that fell out!

Clean it well and weld a cheap extension to the plug and back it up..

If only I had a welder lol

I'm gonna remove the pan and coat both sides of it with WD-40 and let it sit for a while. I might be able to get enough bite on whats left of it to turn it out.

That was my 1st thought too Joe. But then was thinkin my LIL110 stick welder would splatter into the exposed threads and my mig's nose is a LIL big to get in close enough. Wondering if there is enough room between plug and gear to get a wrench and nut up there. Drill it through and start the nut from the back side, tighten from the inside, once tight will turn the plug out. Once broken loose, should be able to spin it out the rest of the way from the front. You could grind a nut down to fit the size of the wrench....If there's enough room between the gear/housing???

So, basically, you're saying that If there is enough room between bull and plug that I drill straight through, drop a bolt through and nut it on the other side and wrench it out? I can take a look. I can't imagine there is anymore than a quarter inch between inside wall of the housing and gear though.

Justa remember, it will only work on the nut side to back the plug out in the right direction. If it doesn't want to bust loose, Don't wreck your set up. Propane torch around the treads till its glowing, then wrench on the nut and bust er loose. If you have room for the wrench to fit up in there, you can always grind the nut down to the width of your wrench. Justa don't try to start the grinded side of nut. Threads are wrecked. Will start fine from the GOOD side. Good Luck!

I wasn't able to do anything to the gears today, too damn cold to be getting under the tractor. I did however see if it would start up in this cold weather.

This is the first attemp to start the tractor in single digits since the top end was overhauled. I used to NEVER start in weather like this

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQq9DEmKGTk

as to the video.. shrinkage you say..lol

those 4* days suck but on those days i'm usually driving a fork truck outside emptying steel hoppers. you don't wanna drive fast since the fork truck bounces around like a front end loader but you wanna get back inside because it's balls cold outside..

Reminds me of when I plow with the tractor. Wanna go fast because its cold, but I don't wanna go fast because the air stings my face and if I catch something with the plow my face makes contact with the steering wheel haha

Also, I got the plug out. I hammered my 1/2 drive extension into it so it and turned it out slowly with a torque wrench. Then I spent about 20 minutes trying to pull the extension out haha.

1920535_10202246257732505_2128884599_n.j

Finally I got fed up and put the plug in a vise and gave the extension a good wrack to the side and it flew off across the room haha.

Reminds me of when I plow with the tractor. Wanna go fast because its cold, but I don't wanna go fast because the air stings my face and if I catch something with the plow my face makes contact with the steering wheel haha

yeah that's the part that sucks.. every now and then i have to go outside when it snows and even with the safety glasses on i've caught a few snow flakes right in the eye. lol the only thing fun about a fork truck and snow is every time i stop and start going again it lays like 6' of burnout in the snow..

• 3 weeks later...

I was hungover on a Tuesday. I'm slowly losing control of my life. Next time I'll be making chocolate pudding at 2am.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0itt3NmBb_4

• 2 weeks later...

Got rain into the magneto, bad gaskets. It damaged the rotor and cap contacts. I tried to remedy but I ended up destroying them both in the process haha. Had to order new ones. Hopefully it will fix the issue

All you had to do was spray it with WD-40.....It displaces water.

Not necessarily. Tractor was running great until I left it out in the rain for about 3 days. After that she wouldn't fire. I figured something that got wet that wasn't supposed to. I narrowed it down to a weak spark, so something was clearly wrong in that area. I popped the distributor cap off to check it, didn't notice much, cleaned it anyways. I then took the rotor cap and nudged the center of the arm a wee bit out (so it would be closer to the center point on the cap) and It fired right up. It was running just fine for about 1 minute, then it shut off, I had the gas off, oops haha. So I turned the gas on and she fired right back up again. After that the tractor ran for about an hour until I finally shut it down. I went to start it again and nothing. She just turned and turned and turned. I pulled the cap off again and found little metal shreds all over the inside. They were around the entire inside, like the rotor decided to machine the center of the cap.

If you have metal shavings under the cap...Check your distributor bearings for play on the shaft. Rotor won't grow, movement in shaft is the only way it could hit. You failed to mention the rest of the story. WD is an old trick to dry out wires/cap if your stranded.