Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

G6 GXP

I had my 2008 G6 GXP coupe out today. GM certainly made a huge mistake(again) by letting Pontiac die instead of Buick. This is the finest driving Pontiac I have ever owned. I've owned or own a Trans Am, Grand Prix's, Grand Am's, Fiero's, Sunbird's and even a 6000STE. The G6 out shines/out performs them all. Quiet, smooth, responsive are just a sampling of the words I use to describe my driving experience as well as "Hot damn!" Pontiac go it all right with this car.

post-1333-0-19121900-1378346717_thumb.jp

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

We are all still mourning the lose of Pontiac. Hard to believe we are coming on the 3-year anniversary of her passing.

Enjoy you G6 GXP while you still can.

Nice to see you enjoy the GXP. But better than a Trans Am? I don't think so.

Pontiac fell onto the chopping block because of GM's own doing. Buick lived on because they were outselling Pontiacs, plain and simple. Mainly since, Buick is a global brand, Pontiac was mostly North American only. We all loved the brand, but GM wanted a bailout and had stipulations for that bailout. Keep what sells and kill what doesn't.

• Founders

Glad to see you love your GXP! It is definitely a great car.

We all loved the brand, but GM wanted a bailout and had stipulations for that bailout. Keep what sells and kill what doesn't.

:agreed:

While the GXP does not have the head snapping torque of the Trans Am, it's 1998 Vs 2008 technology. I've had both up to 120 MPH and the GXP was quieter and rode better than the T/A. However the T/A's grip of the road overall was MUCH stiffer at this speed.

Both are one helluva ride!

US 23 north between Toledo, OH and Ann Arbor, MI is a great stretch of highway to test your ride as well as 422 west here in Butler, PA. The GXP at 120 MPH did not feel like I was doin' 120. The Trans Am_ I felt every bit of that 120. The GXP with it's 113 inch wheel base & 18 inch rims Vs 101 w/b & 16's. Don't get me wrong I love my Trans Am. But my GXP has got that "mmmhmm" factor on interstates & highways.

Got to get 'er up to 120! Let it rip for about 2 miles_awesome rush. I had a 1990 Grand Prix coupe that I used to set the cruise @ 110 & only 2500 RPM.

I have a sister in Ann Arbor so I've used US 23 many times. I'd head back to PA early Sunday morning while everybody was either in church or still in bed. I'd set the cruise at 110 & be home in about 3 hours.

• 1 month later...

I put my Trans Am in the garage and covered it.(gotta get an opener) Sits next to my convertible. I think I'll take my GXP down to my garage and leave the house garage open for my Sunfire this winter. This 3 stall garage is huge. Going to be a great place to store my 'war chest'.

While the GXP does not have the head snapping torque of the Trans Am, it's 1998 Vs 2008 technology. I've had both up to 120 MPH and the GXP was quieter and rode better than the T/A. However the T/A's grip of the road overall was MUCH stiffer at this speed.

Both are one helluva ride!

I don't even think it's fair comparing the LY7 to the LS1. Stock for stock they may seem similar, but the LS1 wakes the hell up with just bolt ons and a tune. LY7 G6s, those guys struggle to get into the 13's with lots of money invested. Plus, front wheel drive is just full of fail when it comes to performance.

I know the 2002 Camaro SS anniversary my shop has, with just the SLP Loudmouth, SLP intake, short throw and 4.10 gears, the thing is an animal compared to stock with just those basic mods.

• Founders

I think it's not only technology but purpose as well. The TA was built more for performance than the G6, the G6 is just a sporty looking grocery getter :lol: . I love my G6 but facts are facts.

Yeah, the G6 GXP was more bark than bite.

I mean, no manual with the GXP trim? But hey, it's not the first time GM went HERP DERP with planning performance models.

It was just sad when I was browsing the G6 forums and I saw two G6 owners with the LY7, dumping over $8K into them for just a low 14 second car. Handling aspects weren't even helped with all the suspension bits out there for it.

It can't be the Epsilon chassis either, because Saab figured it out somehow with it's 9-3, the Aero models don't even seem like they share the same skeleton as the G6 and Malibu.

Now I'm just rambling. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say they got it all right. I still can't get over those hideous rabbit teeth in the front grill. Other than that, it's a very nice car. A kid in one of my classes at school has one in all black.