Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

We are a community of Pontiac enthusiasts. The purpose of our community is to keep alive the Pontiac spirit by sharing (or showing off) our cars, discussing Pontiac, helping each other work on our cars and find information, plus attend various meets/shows/etc... To aid discussion, sharing, event planning and selling of parts/cars/anything, we have various parts of the website to aid this from Forums to an online Garage to Classifieds to even a Document Download Repository. You can find links to these in our navigation above based on what each section helps with (discussion, local events, learning, etc...).

We invite you to contribute, find help or just view some of our member's amazing cars! Don't forget, we also have great contests from time to time (like our Pontiac of the Month and yearly calendar contest) and our Pontiac This OR That, a fun game where you choose the best of two randomly selected Pontiacs from our online garage.

We look forward to seeing you around!

Sign in to follow this  
gandhi_2006

Tilting Steering Wheel

Question

hey guys and gals, i have been gone off this site for a while, i did a few things to my grand am during that time. But i came across a problem recently. The tilt for my steering wheel will not stay in the position that i want. it kind of tilts more to the left while going up. i checked out ls1.com and they said probably the dowels but im not sure. Does anyone know what it could be? I took off the shroud and nothing fell off or out. i can give more details if you have questions but its getting late. I have a 98 Grand AM SE V6 3.1.

Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Pictures or videos of the situation help us visualize the problem you are having. The dowels could be the problem.

Do you have a shop manual for your GA or perhaps Chilton/Haynes manual for it? You will want to have the proper assembly & disassembly instructions if this turns out to be something more than mounting or alignment.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

So instead of going up and down it goes up and left?

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

it goes up and down the locking lever doesn't seem to be locking the column. What photo/video site are you guys using or can i just upload it straight from my computer to FP?

There are four bolts way down in the column that come loose on the tilt. I have done this repair a few times. This is the best rebuild book and I have been using it for a while.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Page 14 shows the bolts/

ok thank you i really apprectiate it guys. I will let you know what i find.

There are four bolts way down in the column that come loose on the tilt. I have done this repair a few times. This is the best rebuild book and I have been using it for a while.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Page 14 shows the bolts/

Nice one bud!

ok guys so i ended up just replacing the entire column. thank god i did because when i pulled the original out it kind of just fell to pieces. thanks for the help guys.

Sweet, glad you got it figured out!