Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tilting Steering Wheel

hey guys and gals, i have been gone off this site for a while, i did a few things to my grand am during that time. But i came across a problem recently. The tilt for my steering wheel will not stay in the position that i want. it kind of tilts more to the left while going up. i checked out ls1.com and they said probably the dowels but im not sure. Does anyone know what it could be? I took off the shroud and nothing fell off or out. i can give more details if you have questions but its getting late. I have a 98 Grand AM SE V6 3.1.

Thank you.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Pictures or videos of the situation help us visualize the problem you are having. The dowels could be the problem.

Do you have a shop manual for your GA or perhaps Chilton/Haynes manual for it? You will want to have the proper assembly & disassembly instructions if this turns out to be something more than mounting or alignment.

it goes up and down the locking lever doesn't seem to be locking the column. What photo/video site are you guys using or can i just upload it straight from my computer to FP?

There are four bolts way down in the column that come loose on the tilt. I have done this repair a few times. This is the best rebuild book and I have been using it for a while.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Page 14 shows the bolts/

There are four bolts way down in the column that come loose on the tilt. I have done this repair a few times. This is the best rebuild book and I have been using it for a while.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Page 14 shows the bolts/

Nice one bud!

• 9 months later...

ok guys so i ended up just replacing the entire column. thank god i did because when i pulled the original out it kind of just fell to pieces. thanks for the help guys.