Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

see page 4 of my 64 rebuild Wrong way, there some pics half way down the page on what i had to do to my wheel......btw

i was inspired by Last Indian and what a magic work of art he made his steering wheel .....

you justA go maddddd with all the sanding :stars:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Keep your head up buddy! You’ll get there! 
A couple things with the lights are possible. Have you turned the the 194 LEDs that don’t work around in the socket? Some LEDs are polarity sensitive. Also take a good look at the contact prongs of the sockets that interface with the Mylar circuit board! If those cooper prongs aren’t shiny it could be a connection issue. Lastly, and I’m sure you have, but double check the led bulbs to make sure they actually work, they wouldn’t be the first bulb that didn’t work straight out of the box!

Hey look at it this way; you have assembly and disassembly of the dash down pat so if things get to slow you can always start a side job!😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

Hey look at it this way; you have assembly and disassembly of the dash down pat so if things get to slow you can always start a side job!😁

Don't you just love a wise guy!?!?!?

image.png.7bfac86b354b2ec5330a78f64f7ab054.png

You have a few good points Last Indian, I must admit. I will try it. I am just tired of yanking it back in and out though. I'm afraid each time I do that I will damage something else. That is still the original wiring harness. Nothing is so simply that I can't screw it up.

My fear for the turn signal is if the problem is in the wiring of the steering column. I don't really relish the thought of having to disassembly the steering column  in order harness to replace the turn signal wiring harness. Or better yet spend even more money and get a new tilt column with a new harness! Yeah that's the ticket!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Don't you just love a wise guy!?!?!?

image.png.7bfac86b354b2ec5330a78f64f7ab054.png

You have a few good points Last Indian, I must admit. I will try it. I am just tired of yanking it back in and out though. I'm afraid each time I do that I will damage something else. That is still the original wiring harness. Nothing is so simply that I can't screw it up.

My fear for the turn signal is if the problem is in the wiring of the steering column. I don't really relish the thought of having to disassembly the steering column  in order harness to replace the turn signal wiring harness. Or better yet spend even more money and get a new tilt column with a new harness! Yeah that's the ticket!

Frosty, do you think you can leave the gage cluster out of the dash and use some wire with alligator clips to connect the plug-in harness to the gage cluster to try and troubleshoot the issue? I’ve done this before! It take several wire & alligators clip assemblies to do this, but it beats the in and out cycle.

also I’ve pulled the wire harness on the old steering columns before and unless yours is different that those you only need to pull the wheel and the horn assembly down to the turn signal switch! Then unplug the connector down at the bottom of the column and the whole harness, connector and will come out the top! But maybe yours is different.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Frosty, did you replace the main light switch ? Check you have power coming off that switch for the dash lamps , and just try turning the main light switch dimmer in case it’s that  which is causing that issue 

also check your earths to your indicators 👍

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, Last Indian said:

Frosty, do you think you can leave the gage cluster out of the dash and use some wire with alligator clips to connect the plug-in harness to the gage cluster to try and troubleshoot the issue? I’ve done this before! It take several wire & alligators clip assemblies to do this, but it beats the in and out cycle.

also I’ve pulled the wire harness on the old steering columns before and unless yours is different that those you only need to pull the wheel and the horn assembly down to the turn signal switch! Then unplug the connector down at the bottom of the column and the whole harness, connector and will come out the top! But maybe yours is different.

Last Indian - I may have to pull the cluster one more time and test bulbs and circuit board one more time as well as perhaps test or continuity test what is coming thru the plug to the cluster and thru the steering column. With the nasty. cold weather setting in, this now maybe a spring job. I've done the alligator clip trick on other cars before. It's an old stand by, but it works!

On 11/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Frosty, did you replace the main light switch ? Check you have power coming off that switch for the dash lamps , and just try turning the main light switch dimmer in case it’s that  which is causing that issue 

also check your earths to your indicators 👍

Yes, Kiwi, I did replace the headlight switch, but I kept the original one as well. Interesting thing with these LEDS, they don't dim. They are either on or off period. So for the tach, fuel/water temp/oil pressure the bulbs are on. So that tells me power is getting to the cluster, I think Last Indian may have a point about the bulbs or contacts on the speedometer. I just have to figure out what it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yes, Kiwi, I did replace the headlight switch, but I kept the original one as well. Interesting thing with these LEDS, they don't dim. They are either on or off period. So for the tach, fuel/water temp/oil pressure the bulbs are on. So that tells me power is getting to the cluster, I think Last Indian may have a point about the bulbs or contacts on the speedometer. I just have to figure out what it is.

yes thats your clue mate... it has to be on the circuit board or the led itself😋

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

LEDs are an odd duck no doubt! I have some in the car, but not a lot! I can’t use them on the turn signals they won’t work! Get this one I have them for interior lights! Two back lights over each rear door two footwell lights & two overhead map lights! These all come on and work fine if I open a door or if I turn the headlight switch to on for the dome light, but if I turn on either one or both of the back lights independently with the switch at each light; the light is real dim and flashes rapidly. The front map lights they work fine either way! Go figure!:bump:

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

LEDs are an odd duck no doubt! I have some in the car, but not a lot! I can’t use them on the turn signals they won’t work! Get this one I have them for interior lights! Two back lights over each rear door two footwell lights & two overhead map lights! These all come on and work fine if I open a door or if I turn the headlight switch to on for the dome light, but if I turn on either one or both of the back lights independently with the switch at each light; the light is real dim and flashes rapidly. The front map lights they work fine either way! Go figure!:bump:

Murphy's Law strikes again! Never let technology know you are in a hurry to get somewhere

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I'm helping the kid on his '06 Hummer H3. He is swapping out all the interior incandescent bulbs for LEDs. He has a burned out 192 courtesy light bulb on the passenger side footwell. We simply can't get the damn bulb out.

It almost feels like it has some sort of mechanical grip on it. The bulb is so smooth that grabbing it with needle nose pliers, it slips right off. I've tried putting electrical tape, duct tape, masking tape, and painters tape on it and it all slides right off the bulb and won't stick. I tried a spritz of WD-40. No luck. I've tried prying at the base of the bulb with a small flat screwdriver. Nadda.

I'm out of ideas. I hope you guys have some different suggestions.

• Like 1

Almost hate to admit this and it would be absolute worst case if nothing else works bro. I had a bulb years ago that I couldn't get to release. I wrapped a towel around it and broke the glass part off. (towel to keep glass out of carpet). I was then able to spray a bit of WD into the sides around the base and using a pair of needle nose from inside the bulb I worked the base out of the socket. Not sure if you can or want to go that route. But like I said, Its the last option. Good luck.

Look bucko, this was the kids idea AND this is on a 35 year newer vehicle!!!  Wise acre!  :yoda:

At least with Lucy I can get the bulbs in and out!!! They just don't work for some reason (not beyond calling it human error at this point).

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Look bucko, this was the kids idea AND this is on a 35 year newer vehicle!!!  Wise acre!  :yoda:

At least with Lucy I can get the bulbs in and out!!! They just don't work for some reason (not beyond calling it human error at this point).

No can bulb get out?    HMMMM   I'm Justa thankful during the season that I'm not screwin with theses bulbs.:clapping:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

OK,  so you didn't learn a thing from Lucy? :slap: NOT worth screwin with the LEDS. :rofl: Thankz to you I'm NOT swappin over my dash to LED.  :badGT:

yeah same here :rofl:

Okay - I'm helping the kid on his '06 Hummer H3. He is swapping out all the interior incandescent bulbs for LEDs. He has a burned out 192 courtesy light bulb on the passenger side footwell. We simply can't get the damn bulb out.

It almost feels like it has some sort of mechanical grip on it. The bulb is so smooth that grabbing it with needle nose pliers, it slips right off. I've tried putting electrical tape, duct tape, masking tape, and painters tape on it and it all slides right off the bulb and won't stick. I tried a spritz of WD-40. No luck. I've tried prying at the base of the bulb with a small flat screwdriver. Nadda.

show us a picture of what your looking at Frosty

2 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

yeah same here :rofl:

show us a picture of what your looking at Frosty

i would expect a 2006 vehicle would possibly be a push in bulb

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTA6 said:

OK,  so you didn't learn a thing from Lucy? :slap: NOT worth screwin with the LEDS. :rofl: Thankz to you I'm NOT swappin over my dash to LED.  :badGT:

I used LED's in everything on my dash except for turn and hi-beam! all gauges, clock, and glovebox!

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wdl182 said:

I used LED's in everything on my dash except for turn and hi-beam! all gauges, clock, and glovebox!

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

they look very cool, 

but also bright, can you dim them ?

• Like 1

found this video on a h2 hummer frosty

it shows your foot well light is a push in bulb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, wdl182 said:

Not as bright as they look, but working on dimming and don't do alot of night driving unless I have too! Thanks

From what we have been learning, this is not plug N play???  Your dash looks great.  What did you have to add to make em work?   Many older car peeps have problems esp with tail lights, turnsigs, wouldn't expect much of a problem to replace the peanut bulbs as we used to call em on the line.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 2