Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Okay - I''ll bite. What all did you discover Sprint6? Cylinders #1 and #2 certainly don't look too good.

I’m probably wrong, but if something is wrong I would have to say coolant leak looking at the piston tops of 1 & 2.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Thanks 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

46 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

I’m probably wrong, but if something is wrong I would have to say coolant leak looking at the piston tops of 1 & 2.

That's certainly better than piston to valve contact. 

So are you thinking head gasket leak or worse?

Correct me if I am wrong but those are iron heads with an aluminium valve cover, correct? 

Could a little magnafluxing be in order here just for some peace of mind?

Edited by Frosty

No No, nothing major. I've been putting off a slight oil issue for sometime now and decided now or never. It was a correlation of gaskets and seals with a minor puff during long term idleness upon start up that was increasing. Once into it I then found the Cam Housing (No Valve Cover on the OHC 6)(Also a zero lash non interference valve train) gasket was beginning to fail which was making quite the mess. As an aside I felt the head should be gone through and we did find a few guides with minor issues so all new went in as well as new Viton seals. This all comes after 16 years of almost trouble free operation since my last go through, so just out of warranty by a few days :D  Anyhow its something that wasn't going to correct itself. So my punch list is now getting shorter ;) I got ahead of myself by not cleaning the pistons up first but what fun is it if you can't do it over, Funny how one thing leads to another, and another and...

40449916344_378ef1f007_o.jpg

OVERHAUL 3 (2).jpg

OVERHAUL 5 (1).jpg

OVERHAUL 5 (2).jpg

OVERHAUL 4 (4).jpg

OVERHAUL 4 (5).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (4).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (5).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (6).jpg

Edited by SPRINT 6

On 4/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, SPRINT 6 said:

No No, nothing major. I've been putting off a slight oil issue for sometime now and decided now or never. It was a correlation of gaskets and seals with a minor puff during long term idleness upon start up that was increasing. Once into it I then found the Cam Housing (No Valve Cover on the OHC 6)(Also a zero lash non interference valve train) gasket was beginning to fail which was making quite the mess. As an aside I felt the head should be gone through and we did find a few guides with minor issues so all new went in as well as new Viton seals. This all comes after 16 years of almost trouble free operation since my last go through, so just out of warranty by a few days :D  Anyhow its something that wasn't going to correct itself. So my punch list is now getting shorter ;) I got ahead of myself by not cleaning the pistons up first but what fun is it if you can't do it over, Funny how one thing leads to another, and another and...

40449916344_378ef1f007_o.jpg

OVERHAUL 3 (2).jpg

OVERHAUL 5 (1).jpg

OVERHAUL 5 (2).jpg

OVERHAUL 4 (4).jpg

OVERHAUL 4 (5).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (4).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (5).jpg

OVERHAUL 11 (6).jpg

That explains the carbon wash off on 1 & 2 piston, as usually coolant, water injection or oil are the things that do that. Much better to be oil! Really nice job!

So I've thrown in the towel on the current Holley carb on the GTO. This is the second car that I have purchased that came with a basic base model Holley 750 that have both given me endless headaches and on the previous car I purchased a new Holley 770 cfm Street Avenger, removed it from box, set the idle and idle mixture screws and the car ran flawlessly for years w/o nary a hiccup. My budget these days is as bad as I can ever recall can't afford a brand new carb or even the Fitech I originally planned to put on my car so I have watched Craigslist everyday for months now and today it finally paid off. New in the box Holley Ultra Street Avenger 770 CFM and man is she a beauty. Billet metering blocks and base, 4 corner idle mixture adjustment, clear bowl sight plugs. I'm not a fan of the Spectre dual feed so I have plans to trade that out for something better. Would you believe $275 ? with the hardware and a chrome 14" air cleaner? I also want to track down a period correct day 2 FRAM HPG1 canister fuel filter as the car didn't come with any type of fuel filter.

carb_zpsholje2r2.jpg

Edited by 360Rocket
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, 360Rocket said:

So I've thrown in the towel on the current Holley carb on the GTO. This is the second car that I have purchased that came with a basic base model Holley 750 that have both given me endless headaches and on the previous car I purchased a new Holley 770 cfm Street Avenger, removed it from box, set the idle and idle mixture screws and the car ran flawlessly for years w/o nary a hiccup. My budget these days is as bad as I can ever recall can't afford a brand new carb or even the Fitech I originally planned to put on my car so I have watched Craigslist everyday for months now and today it finally paid off. New in the box Holley Ultra Street Avenger 770 CFM and man is she a beauty. Billet metering blocks and base, 4 corner idle mixture adjustment, clear bowl sight plugs. I'm not a fan of the Spectre dual feed so I have plans to trade that out for something better. Would you believe $275 ? with the hardware and a chrome 14" air cleaner? I also want to track down a period correct day 2 FRAM HPG1 canister fuel filter as the car didn't come with any type of fuel filter.

carb_zpsholje2r2.jpg

Hope it solves your prob's bro. It is pretty.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I think I'm going to discover that all this trouble was as simple as the car not having a fuel filter on it. That's next on the list before a single drop of fuel runs thru this new carb.

So I got the carb installed and wired. I had plans to pull the intake manifold and have it powdercoated but its just not in the budget for now. I couldn't stand the mottled bare aluminum look anymore so I just taped off the rest of the engine and attachments and feel I did a pretty good job of painting the manifold still mounted to the engine. I'll get it powdercoated later down the road but for now rattle can will have to do. I still need to plumb it and I'm still not sure to mount the fuel filter up near the carb or mount it inline back by the tank. Of course we had to have issues. When installing the air filter stud my Gearwrench came apart and dumped the ratcheting parts down the carb throat. no magnets, no claws, no balls of tape on the end of a screwdriver were removing those parts the easier way so off came the carb to retieve parts before they ended up in the engine. Here's a quick pic.

IMG_1193_zps9koje6iq.jpg

360 - for what it's worth, I would put the fuel filter close to the carb. That way you have easy access to it when it comes time to replace the filter versus crawling under the car.

If you use a see-thru filter container, you can also see when it starts to get dirty and keep an eye on the quality of the gas you are buying.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :yoda:

Edited by Frosty

Agree with Frosty.  I have a glass N chrome filter that comes apart to replace the paper element.  Would look great with the rest of your fuel intake system.  Believe its Mr Gasket to match with some of your other parts. Good luck buddy.

Replaced a fuel line on the truck today that looked like an oscillating sprinkler head.  This is so I can turn the truck around put in the garage for heart surgery. 

54 minutes ago, notallthere said:

Replaced a fuel line on the truck today that looked like an oscillating sprinkler head.  This is so I can turn the truck around put in the garage for heart surgery. 

Go fast goodies? Or over do maintenance parts?

Brodix heads, 268h comp shaft cam, tweek the carb to get rid of the part throttle bog.

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Go fast goodies? Or over do maintenance parts?

15 hours ago, notallthere said:

Brodix heads, 268h comp shaft cam, tweek the carb to get rid of the part throttle bog.

So it is the former, not the latter. Good to know. So you can do even smokier one legged burn outs! 

Fired the GTO for the 1st time in 2018.  Weather is looking up for Saturday N the 1st show of the season @ Bowman Chevy.  Looks like Joe N Mike won't make it.  Guess it's me N U Frosty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Fired the GTO for the 1st time in 2018.  Weather is looking up for Saturday N the 1st show of the season @ Bowman Chevy.  Looks like Joe N Mike won't make it.  Guess it's me N U Frosty.

From the corrections dept..... Justa talked with Joe and he's going waay outta his way to meet up with us @ Bowman before heading to the track and trying to break his car.  Been a looong cold winter and will be great to meet up and get caught up about everything Pontiac.

59 minutes ago, Frosty said:

JUSTA - What time and where are we meeting so we can pull in Bowman together?

Meet at 9:15 in the Rite Aid parking lot across the street. Like we did last year.  Worked well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Surely you can't be serious.  

image.png

But that's not important right now.

Edited by Frosty