Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Rodger that.....3 Amigo's have clearance for landing on M-15 right.

Hope you boys have a great first show out!:driving::pop_corn:

Edited by Last Indian

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Sadly I wasn't able to wrap this up before the local SPRING DUST OFF Show 😞 First time in years I've missed it. However I am underway with the reversing process...

OVERHAUL 14 (8).jpg

Cleaned up, dailed in, running smooooooth. Will change out that fuel injection line soon for something braided I'm sure but for now it feels good to drive her again.

engine%204_zpsqxvpx5w8.jpeg

• Like 2

Took my dash veneer in to a furniture repair shop.  Also took the lid off my console so he could stain/match the dash to the console.  Ordered my LED dash lights.  Will install lights when I get er torn down.  Hope this doesn't take weeks to get it back like some of the furniture I've dropped off to be repaired.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Cleaned up, dailed in, running smooooooth. Will change out that fuel injection line soon for something braided I'm sure but for now it feels good to drive her again.

engine%204_zpsqxvpx5w8.jpeg

Really looks good 360!

• Like 1

Went for a Drive!  Still a few bits to finish up, but all the big ticket items are behind me... 

39973928130_8055a8456c_o.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SPRINT 6 said:

Went for a Drive!  Still a few bits to finish up, but all the big ticket items are behind me... 

39973928130_8055a8456c_o.jpg

How did she run?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

How did she run?

Quite Nicely :D Here's a  cheesy and quick phone vid...

26919543347_a53157c607_o.jpg

Edited by SPRINT 6
  • Like 2

Put a different timing curve in the distributor but didnt make it to the track yesterday. The butt dyno feels like an improvement..This weekend will tell the real story. My buddy with the camaro isnt happy as last weekend i still beat him consistently LOL  I pulled my plugs and after 18k they still look perfect. so an Oil change was all i needed. Cant post pis or vids because Michelle used her phone and she cant send them to me..sucks being old.LOL 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 4:10 PM, Frosty said:

I dropped off Lucy to the shop to have all the hard brake and fuel lines replaced that I got from Inline Tube.

Just got an interesting update on Lucy. The shop called and said my original brake and fuel lines are immaculate. No need to replace them. They are in better shape than most new cars.  I have a vent tube problem on the rear differential, the flex lines between the front calipers and for the rear diff has the protective nylon starting to split and they need to be replaced, and the master cylinder is leaking behind the main seal and needs to be replaced. So I guess I don't need new hard lines after all.

Edited by Frosty

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Just got an interesting update on Lucy. The shop called and said my original brake and fuel lines are immaculate. No need to replace them. They are in better shape than most new cars.  I have a vent tube problem on the rear differential, the flex lines between the front calipers and for the rear diff has the protective nylon starting to split and they need to be replaced, and the master cylinder is leaking behind the main seal and needs to be replaced. So I guess I don't need new hard lines after all.

Are you sayin that was 90W gear oil blasted all over the bottom of your car?   You would have smelled that 2 parking spots away.  That was brake fluid.  

12 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

I have a brand new Master cylinder. yours if ya want it . 

If they have problems getting one Joe, I will call you. Thanks for letting me know.

8 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Are you sayin that was 90W gear oil blasted all over the bottom of your car?   You would have smelled that 2 parking spots away.  That was brake fluid.  

I hear ya'. I think I will call over there again later this morning and get another update.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:42 PM, JUSTA6 said:

Lucy is ready to pickup. I asked about the brake fluid vs. gear lube. He said was definitely gear lube leaking but the gear lube was not burnt, it was clear. So that is why didn't stink according to the guy I talked to.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Lucy is ready to pickup. I asked about the brake fluid vs. gear lube. He said was definitely gear lube leaking but the gear lube was not burnt, it was clear. So that is why didn't stink according to the guy I talked to.

Really not buyin that one buddy.  Keep an eye on it.  Why was the biggest wet spot closer to the rim than the differential?  You had to stop on the way there to add Brake fluid.  It was low again when ya got there. Diff lube would drip straight down out of the bottom.  No pressure to blast it everywhere. 

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I don’t disagree with you. I’m JUSTA telling y’all what the man said.

Frosty I gotta agree with JustA! Unless you are running an unusual rear lube you would smell the anglamol, skunk smell, from a rear end lube leak. Plus if you feel the fluid and it’s rear lube it should feel slippery, but if it’s brake fluid it will feel like it’s etching your finger tips when you rub them together.

JustA little input! You have rear drums right? You might have one of several possible issues! I’ve seen brake lines with hair line cracks by the flare nut. I’ve seen wheel cylinders leak only on pedal application. So if you brake issues haven’t been resolved, try this. Get some brake cleaner and clean both rear assemblies, in and out. Then take a drive come back and check for a leak, I think you get what I mean.

I am totally on board with what both of you guys are saying. I have my own suspicions too. Especially since gear lube should smell somewhat - even it it isn't burnt and it clearly didn't smell at all when we crawled up under the car at Bowman's.

We're cool. I plan to keep a close eye on it.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I am totally on board with what both of you guys are saying. I have my own suspicions too. Especially since gear lube should smell somewhat - even it it isn't burnt and it clearly didn't smell at all when we crawled up under the car at Bowman's.

We're cool. I plan to keep a close eye on it.  

Part of the Anglamol additive chemistry in gear lube is mercaptan, which is the skunk smell. Also I’ve never seen clear rear axle lube, but if the brakes have leaked enough that fluid would be clear from adding brake fluid! Be safe buddy!

3 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Part of the Anglamol additive chemistry in gear lube is mercaptan, which is the skunk smell. Also I’ve never seen clear rear axle lube, but if the brakes have leaked enough that fluid would be clear from adding brake fluid! Be safe buddy!

Thanks Last Indian. I am very aware of mercaptan. My front diff on my Envoy had a leaking seal between the pumpkin and the axle shaft. So gear lube would splatter on the underside of the driver's side exhaust manifold. You could smell the mercaptan at a dead stop or very slow speed with the window down. Uggh. It's not a smell you forget.

As I said, when he mentioned it being gear lube and no smell and knowing what JUSTA and I saw at Bowman's, I had my own reservations. My spidey sense called bullshit.  I have every intention on keeping my eye on that rear end. When I get the chance I will clean Lucy's diff with brake cleaner, watch the brake fluid level, and then see what happens next.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...