Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Its funny because I went online to try and find the reinforcement plate with not much luck, so just on a hunch I went to the original motor sitting in the corner of the garage and BINGO, not only the plate but the original bolts holding it to the balancer as well. Just gotta find some room on a credit card to order a new pulley. I looked up the numbers on the pulley and wouldnt you know, Its not even for a GTO but a Trans Am, lol. Its amazing what people will throw together and sell on the internet, ha ha.

2 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Its funny because I went online to try and find the reinforcement plate with not much luck, so just on a hunch I went to the original motor sitting in the corner of the garage and BINGO, not only the plate but the original bolts holding it to the balancer as well. Just gotta find some room on a credit card to order a new pulley. I looked up the numbers on the pulley and wouldnt you know, Its not even for a GTO but a Trans Am, lol. Its amazing what people will throw together and sell on the internet, ha ha.

...and what unsuspecting people buy off the Internet too!

• Like 1

The car was thoroughly inspected before purchase but you certainly can't catch it all. I was the dumbass that drove it for 2 years and never caught it so in the end, its really on me.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Truly a buyer beware market. I know the guy that inspected it for you too! :D

and he is good people too.

Justa keep swingin til ya can't swing no more.  Even as messed up as I am, refuse to quit until I'm no longer feared or respected.   Have no idea how I missed the cracked pulley.  Must be slippin in my old age. :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTA6 said:

Justa keep swingin til ya can't swing no more.  Even as messed up as I am, refuse to quit until I'm no longer feared or respected.   Have no idea how I missed the cracked pulley.  Must be slippin in my old age. :huh:

C'mon brother, I would have never expected you to catch that one. I bet it happened when I put on new belts and tightened up the squeaky power steering pump. belt. Hell I didn't even notice that the pulley required or was missing a reinforcement plate. No worries my brother.

Now Frosty, to answer the volleyball question with a theory? Have you ever noticed in every picture with the volleyball team that Justa is always surrounded with hot volleyball women? Just sayin'. He works smarter, not harder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Now Frosty, to answer the volleyball question with a theory? Have you ever noticed in every picture with the volleyball team that Justa is always surrounded with hot volleyball women? Just sayin'. He works smarter, not harder.

I give you credit on that one 360. That is an excellent observation. My counter question to your theory then is why is JUSTA his shoulder hurting?

3 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Uniforms are waaay better than Baseball.  :D

Yeah no cups or cleats. No chew or pine tar either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

I give you credit on that one 360. That is an excellent observation. My counter question to your theory then is why is JUSTA his shoulder hurting?

The blue pills are effecting the wrong muscle?

On 4/26/2017 at 0:34 PM, notallthere said:

Road trip to the next volleyball tournament.  I will bring stump water.

Coulda used some stump water.  Came in 3rd overall in my mens league tournie tues.  Last night we missed making the playoffs by one game. 1st time we will not make the playoffs in my coed league in 19 years.  Wish we had our full team instead of using subs. Wish they made a pill for that, 360.:P

11 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Last night we missed making the playoffs by one game. 1st time we will not make the playoffs in my coed league in 19 years.  Wish we had our full team instead of using subs. :P

Just like the Red Wings, eh buddy?

Glad that I decided to park this car until I found out what was wrong. Not too many RPM's left in this pulley!

6c3b3f90-50f9-4479-a40f-251799cab4d0_zps

pulley%202_zpsftfu07xg.jpg

On 5/2/2017 at 4:16 PM, 360Rocket said:

Glad that I decided to park this car until I found out what was wrong. Not too many RPM's left in this pulley!

6c3b3f90-50f9-4479-a40f-251799cab4d0_zps

1 hour ago, 360Rocket said:

New/used pulley stripped and ready for the powdercoater shop.

new%20pulley%20stripped_zpsujsb9u1v.jpg

Yeowza! We definitely don't want to grenade any motors here! Good thing you found it when you did.

I am having no luck with Lucy right now. She needs a tune up but I've even had time for that yet as I am still working on getting the top to work. I installed the new hydraulic lines I got from NPD Saturday afternoon since it finally stopped raining here. Transmission fluid totally soaked and saturated the original replacement sound deadener and dynomat  underneath the rear passenger seat. So I had to cut that up and throw it away just to soak up the remaining spilled fluid and then I cleaned up area with brake cleaner.

Once I got the new lines run and in position, I tried to hook them up to the original lift rams. The bottoms went in fine, but the top are plastic threads and they would not start and I was afraid of stripping them. I got out the old hoses back out and sure enough, there is a difference in thread size and pitch between the old and new hoses.

So after the Bearing Burner's Swap Meet on Sunday, I had to run back down to NPD and buy two new rams. The new rams do work with the new hoses and the top fitting is made of metal and not plastic. So instead of $106 for new hoses, I am into this repair for about $350 (not including replacing the small piece of dynomat and sound deadener) . So my plans to run Lucy down Route 66 this weekend to the Pontiac-Oakland Museum in Pontiac Illinois have officially been scrapped.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yeowza! We definitely don't want to grenade any motors here! Good thing you found it when you did.

I am having no luck with Lucy right now. She needs a tune up but I've even had time for that yet as I am still working on getting the top to work. I installed the new hydraulic lines I got from NPD Saturday afternoon since it finally stopped raining here. Transmission fluid totally soaked and saturated the original replacement sound deadener and dynomat  underneath the rear passenger seat. So I had to cut that up and throw it away just to soak up the remaining spilled fluid and then I cleaned up area with brake cleaner.

Once I got the new lines run and in position, I tried to hook them up to the original lift rams. The bottoms went in fine, but the top are plastic threads and they would not start and I was afraid of stripping them. I got out the old hoses back out and sure enough, there is a difference in thread size and pitch between the old and new hoses.

So after the Bearing Burner's Swap Meet on Sunday, I had to run back down to NPD and buy two new rams. The new rams do work with the new hoses and the top fitting is made of metal and not plastic. So instead of $106 for new hoses, I am into this repair for about $350 (not including replacing the small piece of dynomat and sound deadener) . So my plans to run Lucy down Route 66 this weekend to the Pontiac-Oakland Museum in Pontiac Illinois have officially been scrapped.

Sorry to hear your trip will be Lucyless, but hope you have a good time with the gang. Tell Marcel I said Hi and grab my shirt if they haven't sent it already. Thankz buddy.

4 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

New/used pulley stripped and ready for the powdercoater shop.

new%20pulley%20stripped_zpsujsb9u1v.jpg

Don't install it upside down....:P

• Like 1

Hey is that bearing burners swap meet a vintage and classic parts swap meet? We have one here the first Sunday of every month that I attended this past Sunday, I haven't been in years. Good time, didn't find or buy anything I did or did not need.

Hope to see your luck turn for the better Frosty. I haven't driven the GTO in over a month. Its the longest I've had her on the stands and off the road since I've owned her. Hope to have her tires rolling down the road next week.

13 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Sorry to hear your trip will be Lucyless, but hope you have a good time with the gang. Tell Marcel I said Hi and grab my shirt if they haven't sent it already. Thankz buddy.

Don't install it upside down....:P   (OR BACKWARDS!)

I will grab a shirt or some other swag for you. I have a new Sta-Bil bag for ya' already. I will definitely tell Marcel you said "Hi". What's your shirt size?

12 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Hey is that bearing burners swap meet a vintage and classic parts swap meet? We have one here the first Sunday of every month that I attended this past Sunday, I haven't been in years. Good time, didn't find or buy anything I did or did not need.

Hope to see your luck turn for the better Frosty. I haven't driven the GTO in over a month. Its the longest I've had her on the stands and off the road since I've owned her. Hope to have her tires rolling down the road next week.

Yes it is a classic car and vintage swap meet. It use to be held at the GM Technical Center grounds for years. It was one of the largest area swap meets around. Two years ago they had to cancel it because they no longer had anyone in their club that was an active or retired GM employee (a requirement to host a show on GM property). So they now moved to the Knights of Columbus property in Shelby Township, near the old Packard Proving grounds and the home of Inline Tube. Last year it was a real dud because it rained real bad and kept vendors away. This year the vendors were stronger but it still was not like the Tech Center days.

I am not certain how soon before I can work on Lucy again. The wife is starting to get real anal about cleaning the house for the kid's high school open house that is 2 months away. She wants me to start limiting my nights out during the week because the kid has tied up every weekend with travel baseball between now and then too. So time we would spend cleaning the house on weekends is shot with baseball. I am going to be a serious grouch when that party gets here if I am not already in jail. :angry:

Edited by Frosty

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I will grab a shirt or some other swag for you. I have a new Sta-Bil bag for ya' already. I will definitely tell Marcel you said "Hi". What's your shirt size?

Yes it is a classic car and vintage swap meet. It use to be held at the GM Technical Center grounds for years. It was one of the largest area swap meets around. Two years ago they had to cancel it because they no longer had anyone in their club that was an active or retired GM employee (a requirement to host a show on GM property). So they now moved to the Knights of Columbus property in Shelby Township, near the old Packard Proving grounds and the home of Inline Tube. Last year it was a real dud because it rained real bad and kept vendors away. This year the vendors were stronger but it still was not like the Tech Center days.

I am not certain how soon before I can work on Lucy again. The wife is starting to get real anal about cleaning the house for the kid's high school open house that is 2 months away. She wants me to start limiting my nights out during the week because the kid has tied up every weekend with travel baseball between now and then too. So time we would spend cleaning the house on weekends is shot with baseball. I am going to be a serious grouch when that party gets here if I am not already in jail. :angry:

I ordered a medium shirt when I replied that I wasn't going to make the weekend.  Good luck with all you have going on.