Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

10 hours ago, stratman said:

Great work, Rick... Red Rocket is one of the finest '67 GTOs out there! Will you be entering it in any Pontiac shows this year?

IMG_7930.JPG.97bf04bd779ed0ca9dbb7623073

IMG_7919.JPG.607cfcd11e5e47db8f232c92963

Thanks Pat, lots of opportunities this year. for car shows. POCI is at Texas Motor Speedway in July, and will most likely participate in the DAPA show at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum again. Then there are the every Saturday breakfast club meetings and monthly car shows. I decided not to participate in the Dallas Autorama this year, but planning to next February. Thanks for the compliments. Hope all is well with you.

15 hours ago, Ringo64 said:

Sorry, somethings up with the exif property here that detects the tilt of your phone. Still trying to fix it.

Goat looks good though!

Thanks. and for all your work on the site! 

• Like 2

Well the weather had fallen back to normal and delayed my progress. However I was finally able to wrap up the VTR install today. The following is installation information for those who may want to install this in their 1966 Tempest/Lemans/GTO; This is a Factory and/or Dealer option referred to in the 1966 Accessory brochure as REAR DECK LID RELEASE option code 244 with a suggested retail price of $12.35 from the factory and $12.55 from the dealer. This is the second design over the first release option that was a manual pull cable, similar to the 1965 version. This Vacuum actuated unit was used in 1966 only. The 1967 release was a new power controlled unit. The system contains a glove box mounted vacuum canister "CONTROL" with a 3/32 ID vacuum hose/line approximately  6-8" long then to the reducer and increases to a 3/16 ID hose/line that runs along the passenger side of the floor and then under the rear seat within the factory wire protector/cover utilized for all rear accessories. There was no clear hose retaining guide, so I used HD cloth tape. The line then runs within the underside channel along the deck lid gutter over through the rear light harness clips and behind the latched support/bracket to the "POWER UNIT". This makes option #35 for my '66 and one that has been a long time coming. It is a very basic system that has amazing vacuum considering it uses approximately 23' of hose. Sorry for the long post but I just love the Factory gadgets :D   

CONTROL & POWER 3.jpg

GLOVE BOX SUPPORT PROVISION 5.jpg

POWER UNIT INSTALLED 6.jpg

POWER UNIT INSTALLED 8.jpg

POWER UNIT INSTALLED 10.jpg

RESTO-GUIDE DECK RELEASE INFO 3.jpg

RESTO-GUIDE DECK RELEASE INFO 1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I started the first refresh of the Indian since the initial restructuring mods in 2004. This is to gut the underside from the engine back and replace all lines, gas tank, hoses, etc... Pluse a few structural upgrades in the back & a few suspension upgrades front & back. Replacing all the weatherstripping/reveal molding, etc... A couple interior mods and in general a good cleanup of what you never can get to without a tear down! 

Hey Frosty thanks for the parts!😁!! Well it had your picture on it!

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Patiently waited and finally the weather gods allowed me to get the interior back together, and to think this all started with a simple VTR :rolleyes:  A littel more detailing and ready to hit the road. The Season Opener is Sat the 1st and was beginning to think I would need some yellow caution tape.

done.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this weeks completed projects on the GTO as follows:

Made a new set of spark plug wires that wern't 6-8 inches too long.

Located, purchased, restored (sandblasted, repainted) an original radiator fan and clutch. Replaced a very noisy flex fan.

New%20Image_zpspmer2ybf.jpg

Bought all the brackets to provide a place to mount a front license plate and had them powdercoated. I installed a plate of my own layout and design.

fb896c77-a80a-449e-98d0-ea759b6edba9_zps

Just for looks, it was a rare option on the car as well. You gotta really love this restoration stuff, after all the parts, powdercoating, hardware, decals, and the plate my total ticket was close to $200 just to say I have a front plate on the car. lol. We gotta be out of our minds.

Between the inner valence support bracket that has the plate bracket mounts on it and the plate bracket itself, that's $100. $40 in powder coating, $40 in decals. $10 for the plate, $10 for mounting hardware. The good thing is, I got good parts and did the job right so hopefully I don't have to deal with it again. The fan, used, $60. My friend has a sandblasting cabinet and I just bought lunch for its use. some masking tape and a good black enamel, again, mounting hardware. So maybe $100 in the fan.

NOW you know why these cars are demanding so much money!!!

9 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Looks soooo good. OH for the love of PONTIAC!

Thank you Steve. I really like the way this car is coming together. I purchased the filler piece that covers the space between the radiator support and the front nose to direct even more air thru the radiator. She ran around town all day at 185 degrees with the new clutch fan. Wither the old flex fan, Quieter, smoother running too.

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Had new snow last night.  Most melted off today.  Hope we are now done with it and I can start messin with my rides.

Hopefully gonna burn some tax money this weekend on a new set of shoes fitted to some Cragar SS's

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 360Rocket said:

Hopefully gonna burn some tax money this weekend on a new set of shoes fitted to some Cragar SS's

Kinda like Ritz crackers.....Everythings better when sits on a Crager.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Kinda like Ritz crackers.....Everythings better when sits on a Crager.   

its just such a revered and classic wheel. Thanks for the support.

• 2 weeks later...

Just dragged Lucy out of winter storage tonight. Threw the fully charged Optima battery into her, hooked it up, started her right up and took her home. I am planning on meeting up with JUSTA and possibly Indymanjoe in the morning for the first local car show of the season.

I doubt I will make very many car shows or cruises this summer with the kid's impending graduation and open house, plus his baseball tournaments talking every available weekend in June and July. However, after that, I hope to make up for some lost time in August and September.

I do have a special event planned for Lucy in early May that I hope I will be able to pull off. A lot will depend on the weather closer to that weekend..

Edited by Frosty

Met up with Indymanjoe and JUSTA today at the car show at Bowman Chevrolet. Nice show. No registration fee. Free food. Free Bounce house. Couldn't keep Joe out of it. We didn't win nothing even though we were right next to the DJ booth.

Lucy is running a little rough, she needs a tune up - bad. I have everything for the tune-up except a new distributor cap.  I got an even bigger surprise when I went to put the top down. It didn't go down. It didn't move at all. It didn't do anything. No sound from the motor. So I crawled under the dash hoping it might be a fuse. I had some suspect but not blown fuses (the insides appeared to be contaminated). With JUSTA's help, I replaced those fuses, but to no avail. So now I have to figure out if I have a loose wire, a bad switch or a failed power top motor. I won't be able to even look at it again late next week.

Arrrghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter is hell on rides even when properly stored.  Last week after hearing about todays show. I pulled the GTO out for the 1st time.  After the trans squeeling like a power steering pump when I had to pull the car out right after Christmas. I was expecting the worse.  Fired right up, no squeel and moved fine.  Letting it warm up to check the tranny fluid (lost about 2 oz over the winter) I did a light check only to find 1 headlight working. Nothing else inside or out. Can't say how many hours put in to checking every wire in the car.  Finally have everything working except my pass side front turn sig.  Yes the parking light is working...no turn sig.  Good enough to meet up with the guys for todays show.  Hope I'm not overstepping, but Frosty couldn't get his top to go down and after messing for at least an hour, the windows no longer worked as well.  He was able to get the windows working again.  Wish AMC would keep it's GREMLINS from infecting other brands.

• Like 1

So back under the car working on restoring the chassis up to my standard so everything striped to bare metal, primered and recoated in some form of restoration paint. Rotors, calipers, frame, control arms, coils, sway bars, inner fender wells, etc.

chassis%20resto%201_zpsgsva04w4.jpg

also discovered that elusive engine knock that has been kicking my butt for months, thank GOD it wasn't internal. A cracked lower crankshaft accessory drive pulley. Wrong bolts and no reinforcement ring used caused cracks around 3 out of 4 of the pulley bolts. This will be another upcoming project after I restore the other fenderwell and order a new pulley.

lower%20pulley_zpsncemltq3.jpg