Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

What did you do to your Car today?

Killed the battery in the Phoenix trying to start her. Put it on charge, came back, dumped a crap ton of gasoline in the carb and tried again. Ran for about 30 seconds and died. Did it again and she finally ran on her own gasoline. Blowing smoke out the back, gas in the tank is pretty old. I wanted to warm the engine up for a oil change. 

The belt that runs from the Crank to Fan to Alt is sqeaking bad now. I loosened it to see if the Alt was resisting, but it still spun freely with a flick of the finger. Whadda suppos it could be? Fan hub? Are they sealed bearings?

Are you sure? Could it be the A/C belt or the power steering belt and/or pumps?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Lucy goes to the paint shop tomorrow. The paint on the engine side of the hood is delaminating after 20 plus years. I am also getting a small scratch in the rear lower valance panel fixed. One other part is getting painted too.

Are you sure? Could it be the A/C belt or the power steering belt and/or pumps?

I did an A/C delete two years ago because the pump clutch never engaged. The only two belts are the power steering and the fan/alt/crank. The power steering belt was cool but when I touched the alt/fan one it was hot. 

I did an A/C delete two years ago because the pump clutch never engaged. The only two belts are the power steering and the fan/alt/crank. The power steering belt was cool but when I touched the alt/fan one it was hot. 

that sounds like a bearing to me.. they are most likely sealed bearings..

that sounds like a bearing to me.. they are most likely sealed bearings..

I'm gonna remove the alternator belt and just run the engine with the fan belt and see what happens. 

Thought you had battery issues?  If you disconnect the alt belt, it's runnin on the battery only.  Don't drive it farther than you want to push it home!

I'm gonna remove the alternator belt and just run the engine with the fan belt and see what happens. 

how did it go.. if the belts getting warm then that means the pulley is heating up and that means the shaft is heating up.. it may feel like it's spinning freely by hand but there could be a little bit of resistance..

how did it go.. if the belts getting warm then that means the pulley is heating up and that means the shaft is heating up.. it may feel like it's spinning freely by hand but there could be a little bit of resistance..

Yeah alt pulley was really warm. Pulled the belt, no squeaks. Tightened it up and covered it in belt conditioner, no more squeak lol.

I drove her up and down my driveway and in the adjacent school parking lot. Still fun to get the rear loose on the gravel. Still drives like the day I parked her. Engine oil is still full and clean too. I also burned off most of the old gas. Starts up right away now.

I popped the top on the brake master cylinder. The front reservoir was still full, but the smaller, rear one, was empty. I have brake but only on the last bit of the pedal. I put fluid in it but nothing happened. Thoughts?

Yeah alt pulley was really warm. Pulled the belt, no squeaks. Tightened it up and covered it in belt conditioner, no more squeak lol.

I drove her up and down my driveway and in the adjacent school parking lot. Still fun to get the rear loose on the gravel. Still drives like the day I parked her. Engine oil is still full and clean too. I also burned off most of the old gas. Starts up right away now.

I popped the top on the brake master cylinder. The front reservoir was still full, but the smaller, rear one, was empty. I have brake but only on the last bit of the pedal. I put fluid in it but nothing happened. Thoughts?

may have to bleed the brakes again..that belt conditioner stuff makes more of a mess than it's worth.. trust me on this on take the belt off get a little bristled brush and some dish soap..get a container that you can comfortably fit your hands and the belt in and scrub it clean.. trust me on this one it will be quiet when you put it back on..

Well I just covered the belt in conditioner when it was off. Didn't spray it while It was on because its a mess lol. I was hoping the brake fluid would find its way to the leak, oh well. More work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnie was whining on the way to work. Power steering. Checked the level on my lunch break and it was at the very bottom of the dipstick. Where did it all go? I don't know, but one bottle of Valvoline High Mileage PS Fluid + Stop-leak later and the problem disappeared. Polished the wheels because why not? Also took the car on the highway for the first time with me behind the wheel. Cruise control works, no shimmy at high-speed. No noises, very smooth and quiet ride. For a car with 163xxx miles it sure doesn't seem like it.

Changed the oil in it yesterday too. PO used synthetic, but its an 8qt oil change (dat Northstar sump doe) and synthetic is overkill. Went back to Valvoline 5w-30 conventional. Its much cheaper because its the exact same oil I put in the Phoenix and the Super A. I buy in bulk. Also stuck an ACDelco oil filter on because I'm a fanboy. Its about 3 inches deeper than the one I replaced which was odd. 

Also stuck an ACDelco oil filter on because I'm a fanboy. Its about 3 inches deeper than the one I replaced which was odd. 

that's the only thing i ever used on the Grand Am..the longer ac delco filter...been getting longer filters for the suabru H6 since the oem size filter is so tiny..found a napa/wix filter with the correct bypass pressure..

Was just putting the jack under the Sunbird when the wife pulled in Blasting trans fluid @ the radiator.  Whatta wierd place to rot out. Have the new line bent and 1/2 installed.(lunch break!)  Hope to find some adjustment to the new clutch in the Sunbird. 2 weeks N 2 shows left til its put away for the winter. Can anybody explain where the summer went to?

i ordered some new bulbs for the outback 9011 and 9012's.. the 9011's replace the 9005's and the 9012's replace the 9006's.....also ordered a Alpine IVE-W535HD head unit..got a pretty good deal on it so..

• 3 months later...

Fixed 3 problems with the Bonneville this week. 

1. Vacuum line was all jacked up under a manifold, car kept throwing lean codes at me. As Chaos put it "the Northstar does not like vacuum leaks. It literally bugs the f&#k out."

2. Transmission fluid was dark. Car had a hidden code, P0897 Transmission Fluid Deteriorated, that ironically I would have never found if it hadn't of been for the lean codes mentioned above that trigger the SES/CE light.

3. GM, why you put power steering line near sharp objects??? Yeah its a design flaw on in these GXPs I swear, the return line rubs on the engine when the cheap brackets get loose. Fixed.