Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

72 Lemans Door Panel Door Panel Repair

Last weekend it finally stopped raining, snowing and generally being miserable weather, and allowed me to spend some time working on the car. So I had a couple of projects to do. I had some work I wanted to do on the Lemans. I have been having issues lately with the driver side door sticking when trying to open it from the inside. So I disassembled the door (I’ve done this a lot over the years so I don’t even need the Service Manual anymore to tear it apart).

Once I got the armest, door latch, power window control switches, remote mirror and door panel off, I could get access window and door latch mechanisms. Examining the latches didn’t show anything out of place. So I took the time to spray WD-40 in all the connect joints between the lock, the latch, and inner door handle. I also sprayed it into the plastic nylon bushings that some of the metal rods go through in the door. I also sprayed the lock/latch mechanism. I will have to wait and see if that fixes the sticking problem.

While the door panel was off, I noticed that some of the vinyl is peeling off the card board backing. Mind you, this is the original 41 year old door panel, so it is showing its age and needs to be upgraded or replaced. I have plans to do that in the future, just not now. So I need to make do with what I have. I have some peeling in the past and I have used Gorilla glue but it bubbles up too much. This time I used Loctite Super Glue. It grabs quickly and does not stain or bubble up either.

Driver’s side door panel showing it’s age. The cardboard is a little rough.
100_4357_zpse67550bf.jpg

You can see some of the bubbled dried Gorilla glue if you look closely in a couple of places. I tried to cut out the old bubbles with a knife without damaging the cardboard.
100_4358_zps469422d6.jpg

Applying the Loctite, then laying the material back over it and holding it for a few seconds.
100_4359_zpsafdd93b2.jpg

After that, I put everything back together and she looks great...for a 40 year old panel that is.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!