Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Shakercars's 1972 Trans Am

2019 August
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Sign in to follow this  
TeachScience

Bonneville in WV

What is the AC doing? Is it not getting cold or is it making noise?

There is a common problem that occurs as cars age. The seals in the AC system can dry out and allow some or all the refrigerant to escape. If this happens, usually adding an AC system lubricant along with a refrigerant recharge kit will moisturize and expand the seals and solve this particular problem.

Obviously this is just one possible problem and fix. Compressor failure, dryer failure, holes in the hoses or condensers are other thing that can happen and are much more costly to repair. So it is important to take it to a reputable repair shop. I know it gets pretty hot and muggy even in the moutains of West, by God, Virginia.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

It seems to work intermittently and only weakly. Sometimes it will stay off for most of a trip the just slowly turn on an hour later.

Sounds like there's not much refrigerant in there.

I'd do what Frosty suggested and refill it with an R-134 kit with seal additives that will stop any leaks it may have.

I haven't put in more coolant yet because I realized that it would "blow" ice cold with the exterior button on and the sun roof cracked. Looks like it has to be a fan. There was a ticking from the passenger dash.

Keeps us in the loop and let us know what happens.

Yuck, 90* and no air. Then I get stuck in construction traffic so no wind.

Looks like it may be the fan or the resistor. Anyone know why the resistor is 100$

Sadly, the simply the is because they can. Demand for 13-year old Bonneville fan resistors is not huge anymore. My Avalanche had a similar problem. Fortunately for me it was such a huge problem on all of the full size trucks that GM replaced them at no charge.

I still haven't fixed this but I had them pull the codes. I'll post it and see if anyone can advise.

And the Bonnie is dead. Head on collision with a lifted truck who was attempting to pass a big rig illegally. Not only did he total my car and mess me up pretty bad, but it almost caused the semi to take our a school bus. Overall we were all pretty lucky considering the circumstances.

Good to know you are alight. How bad are your hurt? Bumps and bruises or worse?

Is the dumb S.O.B. in jail or at least ticketed to the point that he should not be able to get his license any time soon? The pictures definitely look like he cross the center line and hit you in your lane big time. Any chance that alcohol was involved in his bad judgement? Any chance for civil penalties or is it too soon to tell?

Too soon to tell. He was just being an aggressive driver. It's pretty common for guys in lifted trucks around here to act like they are hot snot.

Posted Image