Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Bonneville in WV

What is the AC doing? Is it not getting cold or is it making noise?

There is a common problem that occurs as cars age. The seals in the AC system can dry out and allow some or all the refrigerant to escape. If this happens, usually adding an AC system lubricant along with a refrigerant recharge kit will moisturize and expand the seals and solve this particular problem.

Obviously this is just one possible problem and fix. Compressor failure, dryer failure, holes in the hoses or condensers are other thing that can happen and are much more costly to repair. So it is important to take it to a reputable repair shop. I know it gets pretty hot and muggy even in the moutains of West, by God, Virginia.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like there's not much refrigerant in there.

I'd do what Frosty suggested and refill it with an R-134 kit with seal additives that will stop any leaks it may have.

I haven't put in more coolant yet because I realized that it would "blow" ice cold with the exterior button on and the sun roof cracked. Looks like it has to be a fan. There was a ticking from the passenger dash.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, the simply the is because they can. Demand for 13-year old Bonneville fan resistors is not huge anymore. My Avalanche had a similar problem. Fortunately for me it was such a huge problem on all of the full size trucks that GM replaced them at no charge.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And the Bonnie is dead. Head on collision with a lifted truck who was attempting to pass a big rig illegally. Not only did he total my car and mess me up pretty bad, but it almost caused the semi to take our a school bus. Overall we were all pretty lucky considering the circumstances.

Good to know you are alight. How bad are your hurt? Bumps and bruises or worse?

Is the dumb S.O.B. in jail or at least ticketed to the point that he should not be able to get his license any time soon? The pictures definitely look like he cross the center line and hit you in your lane big time. Any chance that alcohol was involved in his bad judgement? Any chance for civil penalties or is it too soon to tell?