Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

a Michigan Noob

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

wow, that is clean. awesome job! hows about you take a lil drive to Cali, work on another Pontiac. :D

You've been lurking? Say it ain't so Joe !

(I've been waiting to use that line for awhile now!)

• 3 months later...

OK,Back to the car.Life got in the way for a bit but we push forward.Sooo with that outta the way,i finished the trunk in the last couple weeks.As i may have mentioned or not(i dont remember) someone at some point in this cars life stored (poorly) either gear lube or had a couple quarts of oil with a hole in the bottom of the container in the trunk.1st.... thanks,it didnt rust.2nd..seriously? No attempt to clean it?LOL anyways i spent quite a few days of spraying simple green then soaking it up,respray soak it up x's100.Then i did the Brakecleen spray, soak it up,watch the walls melt,respray soak it up x's abunch..dont remember much after that.Once i felt it was "oil free" i wire wheeled,sanded with 80grit then epoxy primed.sanded with 150grit and another coat of epoxy primer.I was going to use the same duplicolor bed liner as i did on the firewall.It wears great and looks good for me.However my buddy at the parts store recommended the duplicolor trunk spatter paint.Heck why not? i thought if i dont like it bed liner will cover it fine,all the prep has been done.well here are the results in pics

post-1672-0-57693600-1414109892_thumb.jp

post-1672-0-08113900-1414109922_thumb.jp

Anyways I am real happy on the way the trunk turned out.Pics dont do justice to the final result The flash from my phone seems to distort the look.I used 4 cans of trunk spray.If you dont stay 12-14" from the panel it will build up real fast,lots of trial and error to get it right.The paint is very directional,meaning the build is from point of shoot.I shot this stuff from front to back,back to front,side to side etc..to get a uniform look.using very small bursts of paint you can fill the low spots and make it blend in to the surrounding areas.After a week of drying it lays flat and feels scuff resistant.time will tell on the last point but short of throwing in an engine block in the trunk i feel it will hold up well.

Came out great, looks good. Hoping everything worked out well for Michelle and you guys are over that hump. Been meaning to give ya a call.

Joe - she looks great. I re-sprayed my trunk with spatter paint a few years too. I know what you've been through buddy. Did you put down a clear coat to seal it or do you plan to? I think they make a flat clear for the spatter paint. A couple of cans will do.

I approve of filling the hole too. It looks great.

No worries Joe - depending on the spatter paint manufacturer, they may or may not recommend a clear to seal it with their paint "system". Check yours to be sure. The brand that I used did recommend a clear.

I remember mine being very rough to the touch when I finished with the spatter paint and the clear helped smooth it out a bit plus the benefits of sealing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind comment sir.Waiting on some lifters from crane to come in.National back order AGAIN! Pssst PY and AMES have joined forces to further make the Pontiac Progress even easier.

• 1 year later...

Just a small update.The new motor has shredded the rear end.One wheel peels are NOT acceptable.So i pulled the rear end today and will be rebuilding it to its former double smokey burnout status.Updates to follow.Hmmmm i cant load pics..OK go to the facebook page here.( i seem to be the only one who does now )LOL

16 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

Just a small update.The new motor has shredded the rear end.One wheel peels are NOT acceptable.So i pulled the rear end today and will be rebuilding it to its former double smokey burnout status.Updates to follow.Hmmmm i cant load pics..OK go to the facebook page here.( i seem to be the only one who does now )LOL

Joe, any idea why the rear end let go in the first place? Other than a heavy right foot.

Well i found out its a 68 pontiac rear end,not original obviously.explains why the speedo was off.But it is a Nodular case with 3:55 gears in it.It looks as if its never been apart so 48yrs old i suspect it was just tired.The cones are worn down for sure.I think it will live again so far.nothing is blued or pitted etc..I always new it couldnt be a 2:78 as the build sheet said.And i never took the time to really find out as to me i knew it needed some help eventually.more updates to come.Cant wait to see how it launches when its back in.which should be this saturday.