Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The Official HID Thread

Here is a thread about HIDs to keep all the HID info together we should ask questions in here so that there are not like 10000000 threads about HIDs

My question :

I installed 8K HIDs in my car (h11 bulb)

now sometimes when i start the car and my DRLs automatically come on the bulbs flicker like a damn strobe! is that because DRL is a lower amount of current (not full strength) or are my HIDs FUBAR?

also i notice when they are strobing because it interferes with my FM radio reception.

anyone else have problems like this?

Thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pull the DRL fuses and yes bc DRL run dim

I'm not 100%, but he's right.

Most of the newer GM's (03+) the DRL is controlled by just the relay.

YANK THAT RELAY OUT!!

It will kill the HID bulbs.

I have 6000K HID's in my GA, and the DRL system is known to pop HID bulbs, as with most other GM's with DRL's.

' date='Feb 9 2010, 01:01 PM' post='9965']

I'm not 100%, but he's right.

Most of the newer GM's (03+) the DRL is controlled by just the relay.

YANK THAT RELAY OUT!!

It will kill the HID bulbs.

I did it in the 09 06 and matts 06

I forget which one it exactly it is. Open the fuse box by battery and its labled and its a light gray one

and yes you will get interference bc of HIDs through the radio. Some are not supposed to but never tried them

hmm... that brings up an issue with mine. my car runs the H4's dual filament. I have blown 2 bulbs on the car. I have some upgraded better 6k bulbs but when i installed my new relay and wiring that came with the new bulbs, 1 of my ballasts blew. they flicker too. with my old relay, they charged up like normal and had no problems. it could also be the relay that you are using as well. might want to look into the wiring harness.

hmm... that brings up an issue with mine. my car runs the H4's dual filament. I have blown 2 bulbs on the car. I have some upgraded better 6k bulbs but when i installed my new relay and wiring that came with the new bulbs, 1 of my ballasts blew. they flicker too. with my old relay, they charged up like normal and had no problems. it could also be the relay that you are using as well. might want to look into the wiring harness.

I hate the hole light set up on vibes

when its night time, is it better to use the lights when they turn on automatically when the car is turned on? or turn on the car and then use the switch for the lights? also, ok to mix brands? when its time to replace the bulbs, does it have to be the exact same brand? or jus match the bulb size, rating and wattage?

My rule of thumb is to replace the HID bulbs on pairs. One will be brighter than the other, and they'll have a different color tint.

But yes, stick with the wattage type it came with.

Flickering isn't normal, even if it's cold. It's usually due to bad wiring, or the DRL's messing with the ballasts. Even on the coldest of days, mine has never flickered warming up to temperature.

' date='Feb 10 2010, 06:10 AM' post='10323']

Flickering isn't normal, even if it's cold. It's usually due to bad wiring, or the DRL's messing with the ballasts. Even on the coldest of days, mine has never flickered warming up to temperature.

I have to agree. I live in AZ where it doesn't get too cold and the ballasts were flickering with 1 wiring kit but with the other, they work just fine.

• 3 months later...

i have an extra H11 kit that i havent been able to sell. can i jus use it in my high beams? i know its H9, so possible?

Keep in mind also, sometimes kits ship with defective or poor quality hardware. My first set of HID's were the dual -filament HID low/Halogen highbeam kind, and one HID bulb was bad from the jump-it kept shutting off 20 minutes after turning on perfectly well.

I changed the bulb and life was good until two months ago,when the side with the original bulb failed totally. I scrapped the entire kit, ballasts and all, and bought a new setup completely.

Just goes to show, you can do everything right and still get unreliable stuff from ' the factory'.

• 4 months later...

HID Bulb swap question....

if i have balasts from other vendors are all bulbs interchangeable?

well? c'mon it has been less that 1 second where are my answers... CHAOS!!!

:D

Interchangeability depends.

For example, I know my ballasts from HIDNY.com will work with most other bulbs, I've been told DDM's ballasts are interchangeable as well, but both of these companies offer warranties....so, what brand are yours?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Anyone here know of a way to disable the DRL's on a 07 vibe but without killing the automatic headlights. Planning on possibly installing HID's and wouldline to keep the automatic headlights feature. Or is the only option for this vehicle to disable both as one unit?

Any advice welcomed.Thanks