Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Project V6 Firebird (lots of pics)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Shoulda swapped an LS1 in there...

I keed, I keed.

That thing sounds like a beast of a V6. Nice work man. V6 or not, always good to see a build log go smoothly and come out great.

Just got back from a dyno session at Texas Speed & Performance, I've been nervous all morning hoping everything would work out okay. I think I was more nervous than the day I got married!

As many of you know, I've been doing part throttle and cruise tuning on this car for quite awhile with help from a friend of mine [John Ginter]. The tuner at TSP commented on the overall idle of the car and how it did on the cruise and that it was doing pretty well. He did 4 or 5 pulls with cooldown in between. He was just trying to get the AFR just right, finished it up around 12.9:1 and it was pretty happy at that point. Open longtubes were creating a little noise issue with the knock sensors, he said it might have made a little more without it causing havok on that.

Going to look at getting a new harmonic balancer to help with spinning this thing up above 6K at the track since this thing without a balance shaft vibrates like crazy.

Just getting there:

100_1393.jpg

3.8 Liter capacity strap-on:

100_1398.jpg

Hot under the collar:

100_1394.jpg

Anyway, numbers.

3rd gear pull, unlocked 3800 stall:

196.02 hp @ 5600 rpm

196.33 tq @ 4600 rpm

100_1404.jpg

2nd gear was a little cleaner line:

195.12 hp @ 5750 rpm

206.14 tq @ 4600 rpm

100_1402.jpg

These weren't really power pulls more just to get a good tune. He didn't want to lug it too bad in 3rd with it locked out.

Compare to stock 'verter/trans and 140K mile motor:

184 TQ @ 4700 rpms

169 HP @ 5300 rpms

I am honestly pleased to see these numbers through a big stall. There's so many things that have changed on the car that just looking at the numbers it is hard to really compare the two as this car is very different from when I first started.

Going to the track tonight, running the 1/8th and hopefully get some times for everybody tonight.

• Founders

Why didn't I comment on this?!?! :)

Sounds great! I'd say those are some good numbers it's putting up, especially for an 11 year old car.

Comparably a stock G6 GT is around 200hp stock but it's a 2006. I'd say that's great that a car that a 6 year older car can get up to that, not to mention it's 11 years old now and has dealt with time.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh why would you ditch a stalled auto......WAY faster in the 1/4.....

I know that. That's why I got a stalled auto to begin with. I won't see much fun at the track anyway. The track has been open for two months now and I haven't had time due to work and school to make it out there for my first runs on the new setup. I am just getting a little annoyed with the car sounding like I'm trying to race everybody from the light :agreed:

I find much more enjoyment rowing gears, even though it isn't as fast. A T56 will offer a bit more efficiency as well in the long run.

Also, I am working on this for the V6 community as many people have wanted a T56 for their cars but nobody has had one available since 6-speeds inc. went out of business.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove it with the refreshed headers. Dunno if it has been the long absence and driving the Mazda3 or if it has a marked difference even with the open headers right now, but it pulled hard and fast with just a quick blip of the throttle. I got smart and went to Lowes and got some earplugs that have the little tether and a carrying case. Fits perfectly in the cupholder lol! No more threshold damage for me at least.

Waiting to get it all buttoned up so I can give it the beans again.

Pics of them repaired/modded and installed. Ready to see those parts turn that nice bronze pretty soon!

100_1489.jpg

100_1490.jpg

100_1493.jpg

Very cool, got a sound clip of it?

and :rofl: about the ear plugs and the cup holder

I'll get a soundclip after I get the cutout running to a good electrical source.

So I finally got a different catback to replace the TSP Rumbler. The wife complained a bit too often even when I'd drive trying to be mellow and not let it go over 3K rpms (no small feat with a 3800 stall).

I decided to start putting together a catback with the 13secV6 catback as a guideline. The serial numbers have changed since that thread was started, so I'll try and give you my best finds. I must note that I had to have a new y-pipe fabricated to work as the slip-fit setup as I got rid of the v-band setup as they were constantly snagging on things.

I did make a departure as the Summit Turbo Muffler had the dual out on the same side of the muffler instead of being a transverse setup. I went with a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler that was 3" inlet and 3" dual outlet in transverse location. I couldn't find any 3" tailpipes to use, but figured I'd just have it done at the exhaust shop.

Parts:

Flowmaster 3" intermediate pipe: FLO-26087

Dynomax 3" Axle cross over pipe: WLK-53061

Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler: WLK-17670

Impressions:

Very mellow startup that still has a nice rumble compared to stock but won't attract too much attention with the cutout closed. It gives the car more of the grainy V6 sound instead of the scream from the Rumbler. I can carry on a conversation with my wife and the radio going without too much issue. No drone either inside the cabin.

I can also go WOT without people half a mile away knowing I'm coming.

This will offer much more of a sleeper standard for me which is what I liked. It sounded like I was trying to race everybody with the Rumbler, though I was part throttle all the time.

VIDEO:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho4hMFh8pRM

Old catback w/ Rumbler:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVjFEK_70c

For those that are wondering, I sold the Rumbler to another V6 owner in the area

• 1 month later...

Running open headers for only a short time killed my O2 sensors. Replaced them today.

Local track is indefinitely closed, who knows when I'll get 1/4 times now...

do some research and drive the extra 30-60 min to get to a track lol

do it for US

Trust me, it's not 30-60 it's more like 2 1/2 to 3 hours :lol:

Running open headers for only a short time killed my O2 sensors. Replaced them today.

Local track is indefinitely closed, who knows when I'll get 1/4 times now...

that sucks, it just never ends does it?! lol

:lol:

I feel your pain on being nowhere near a track. One racetrack exists on Long Island...ONE, and it's not open to everyone. If I want to go to a 1/4 track, I need to drive all the way out to New Jersey to do Atco or Englishtown. All +140 miles away, and usually +2 hours of driving with traffic. :/

' date='Jul 19 2011, 12:08 AM' post='57280']

I feel your pain on being nowhere near a track. One racetrack exists on Long Island...ONE, and it's not open to everyone. If I want to go to a 1/4 track, I need to drive all the way out to New Jersey to do Atco or Englishtown. All +140 miles away, and usually +2 hours of driving with traffic. :/

there's 2 tracks i can go to both are around the same time away. right around the 2hr+ range. if they were closer i'd go more often.

I can also go WOT without people half a mile away knowing I'm coming.

now where's the fun in that. :) usually why i don't night drive the Grand Am.

i'm trying to find a compromise with my car as the uber loud drives me nuts sometimes. holding a conversation requires me letting off the gas and forget about the radio haven't tried that in awhile.

my problem is i like how bitchin it sounds as it sits now but i want something quieter without neutering the badassness it produces now.