Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Chaos's car shopping thread!

Welp...time to really consider a replacement for the Grand Ma GT. I have the weekend off, so I decided to start looking around (not just bumbling about) and ask about financial options.

I just got back from FINALLY driving a five speed '12 Focus. It was a black SE 5 door hatch, had the SYNC, winter package. $21K car by MSRP.

Car drove excellent, the shifts were crisp and smooth, aside from the clutch not being broken in (it had four miles! :lol:) I liked the gearbox. Acceleration was smooth, never really romped on it, but it pulled nice in fifth gear on the highway. The center console layout is a bit confusing at first, but the saleslady pointed out the basics, no different than getting used to, say...an iPod 4. With the SYNC, you can use your phone wirelessly, which is nifty, even use apps like Pandora remotely. In the center armrest, the storage bin has both an auxiliary jack and USB hub to plug in for direct use through the radio. Seats were very comfy, but still nicely supportive. Suspension is nice, responsive, but handled rough roads as nicely as my pop's 08 DTS. Very quiet on the inside, which did bother me. :lol:

All in all, it was as nice as I hoped it would be, and quite pleased to see five speed models actually existing on Long Island, compared to back in Janaury when I last visited this Ford dealer.

Next on my list:

2012 Chevy Cruze

2012 Kia Optima

2012 Suzuki Kizashi

2012 Toyota Corolla

2012 Volkswagen Jetta

Not necessarily in that order, expect another update today.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Cruze? its good and all but imo it doesnt seem like...you. i picture you with a lil more power in the car. the Optima, trying out the turbo version?

2012 Chevy Cruze

My dad drove one as a rental, He said its an amazing vehicle. He said it was great on gas. The rental lot also had a manual, I bet you'd like that Chris

With my new job, I have a fairly long highway commute, and I'm sick of the GAGT's mpgs. I've always liked the Cruze, it's a sharp looking car.

The Optima, I may or may not go for the turbo, depending on price.

• Founders

I really like the Cruze. For an eco car it doesn't look bad and actually is pretty nice. Sat in one at Epcot at WDW last month and really liked it.

Okay...test drove a Cruze. Not a six speed manual, but it was an LT with the 1.4T motor.

Car drove very nice, very quiet and comfy like the Focus. Power didn't seem fluid like the Focus 2.0L, definitely felt turbo lag below 4000rpms. Very unusual feeling the six speed shift so much under low acceleration. The tap shift was okay, it felt a bit laggy, and does not like to downshift when commanded to. Seats were nice, not as "secure" feeling as the Focus. The console was less complex than the Focus, but still had the same hands free stuffs. Same interior equipment as well, but no heated seats or mirrors.

This model was priced at $21K like the Focus SE I tested. Not a bad car, but I would consider the Focus over the Cruze after back to back test drives.

' timestamp='1341698332' post='73877']

Okay...test drove a Cruze. Not a six speed manual, but it was an LT with the 1.4T motor.

Car drove very nice, very quiet and comfy like the Focus. Power didn't seem fluid like the Focus 2.0L, definitely felt turbo lag below 4000rpms. Very unusual feeling the six speed shift so much under low acceleration. The tap shift was okay, it felt a bit laggy, and does not like to downshift when commanded to. Seats were nice, not as "secure" feeling as the Focus. The console was less complex than the Focus, but still had the same hands free stuffs. Same interior equipment as well, but no heated seats or mirrors.

This model was priced at $21K like the Focus SE I tested. Not a bad car, but I would consider the Focus over the Cruze after back to back test drives.

Yeah, for me deciding between a Focus and a Cruze is based purely on the fact I'm a GM guy. I like both of them though.

Our Dodge dealership just got in a new red Dodge Dart Rallye with the 1.4L turbo and 6 speed manual. It is a really sharp car and I really wanted to test drive it. If a dealership near you has a Dart, I would test drive that also. I am definitely looking at one next year when I graduate from college and get a real job haha. The 5 stays though lol. Good luck on the car shopping!!!

I'm tossing the idea of trying a Dart, but I dunno yet.

Tomorrow I'm definitely going to Kia, I want to see an Optima, Rio and Fortè. After that, I may check out Toyota, the Corolla S and XRS are still on my to do list.

• Founders

Just say no, when it comes to the Velociraptor... things are UGGGGGGGLLLYY, I feel like this is a re-occurring theme with Hyundai, KIA and Toyota. :lol:

Haven't driven the Veloster yet, I think it's a sharp looking coupè. Add the fact that many are available as a six speed attracts my attention even more.

As for Kia and Toyota, the Optima is my favorite out of those two, it's just gorgeous. The Forte Koup and Sedan SX models have always been on my radar, and I have driven them before, fun little cars.

The Toyotas I had in mind: the Camry SE and Corolla XRS. They don't suffer from the dullness of basic trims, and have a nice aftermarket. Not the new gen Camry, those are fugly, the 07-11 models, the SE models are sleek and quick. A friend of mind has an 08 SE, dropped on Eibachs, and sitting on 20" TSW Vortex wheels, it's a damn good looking touring sedan.

I may look at more GM's, but time will tell. I don't want to be stuck with a dead platform again like the GAGT.

' timestamp='1341965693' post='73944']

Still better than an Aztek.

Not even in the same class of vehicle. haha

I have a feeling that you can probably see out the rear window of a new Camaro than you can out the rear window of the Veloster.

Are you blind?

im with chaos on this one. seems cool. and i want to test drive it jus to see how it is. hey, go for a 370Z.

I really want to stick to cars I can afford and not tease myself. :lol:

I think the Nissan dealer near me is out of stock on 370Z's anyway, I haven't seen any in their lot lately.

' timestamp='1341965693' post='73944']

Still better than an Aztek.

The Aztek was its own class of awesomeness. You can't even compare lol