Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

• Founders

Whelp sure enough when we're in the middle of a tropical storm the G6 decides to throw everything at me. Got in the G6 this morning to go to work and the cluster lit up like a Christmas tree, including chimes and the DIC said "ENG PWR REDUCED". Assume the engine put itself into a protective mode. Not wanting to do any damage because I have no idea what exactly is wrong with it. I took the Camaro out of the garage, put the G6 in its spot in the garage and here I am at work.

A little on the ticked side having to take the Camaro in this weather but at least I'm at work and am lucky enough to be able to do so.

Anyway its going to bother me all day what could be wrong with the G6 so any suggestions? If I can make it home at lunch time I might do some checks, anything I should check first?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Easy thing first: pull engine codes. If there is none, the BCM may have a bad ground, accumulated moisture or may have a short somewhere.

To pull codes from the BCM, you'll need a specific code reader.

• Founders
' timestamp='1340627204' post='73591']Easy thing first: pull engine codes. If there is none, the BCM may have a bad ground, accumulated moisture or may have a short somewhere.

To pull codes from the BCM, you'll need a specific code reader.

Don't want to jump to conclusions but the moisture part may be the most likely with the storm we had/are having. What would be the remedy for that? Just let it dry if nothing is hurt?

Thx

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yes and no is the answer. If it truly is just moisture intrusion, letting it dry out should be okay and hopefully the G6 will be okay. That said, you may have moisture intrusion and it runs the risk of coming back at some point in the future. So it is a problem you need to try to find and take steps to fix. As Chaos mentions, pulling codes is the first step in the process.

I found this dealer bulletin notice online as well:

Bulletin No.: 07-06-04-019A

Date: November 06, 2008

Subject:

Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with Reduced Engine Power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to Body Harness Connector)

Models:

2005-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)

2005-2008 HUMMER H2

2006-2008 HUMMER H3

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:

This Bulletin is being revised to add additional diagnostic service information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-04-019 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent MIL/SES light Illuminated with a message center or an indicator that displays Reduced Engine Power. DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation may be set. The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a predetermined value for more than a brief period. Refer to DTC P2138 in SI for further diagnostics.

Cause

On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Water intrusion into these areas could cause an electrical short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Correction

Note: Make sure that no add-on/aftermarket equipment is electrically connected to the APP signals or to the other ECM/PCM five volt reference or return lines. These can generate false P2138 and/or other ETC System DTCs. If there are other engine DTCs besides P2138, such as MAP sensor faults (i.e. P0107, P0108), resolve these first before attempting to diagnose P2138 DTCs.

Important: Refer to DTC P2138 in SI to confirm that the ETC pedal is operating correctly.

Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area or inside the IP. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary. Use a water hose to determine the source of a water leak and effectiveness of repair. Some examples of potential water leaks are: A-pillar seals, sunroof drain lines (if so equipped) and windshield/cowl sealing. Finally, repair or replace the IP to body harness connector, making sure no corrosion or debris is left on or between the terminals.

• Founders

So I'm on my lunch at my house and the G6 still seems to be doing the same deal. Took it for a slow ride down the street and they weren't joking, barely any power in the low RPMs. Gonna have to see what it does after work and then ill probably get the code pulled.

Thanks guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Are you able to pull any trouble codes? Most of local auto parts stores offer free readings, if you don't own a scanner. Makes a great item for the Christmas list.

• Founders

Are you able to pull any trouble codes? Most of local auto parts stores offer free readings, if you don't own a scanner. Makes a great item for the Christmas list.

Yeah I was probably gonna head to Advanced Auto... Been thinking about getting a scanner for a while now just never got around to it lol.

Yep, you need a scanner. I bought mine on sale for $44 at autozone and I love it!

Any luck with the codes yet?

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

• Founders

Yep, you need a scanner. I bought mine on sale for $44 at autozone and I love it!

Any luck with the codes yet?

Have a friend coming over w/ a scanner, we'll see what it reads...

Have a friend coming over w/ a scanner, we'll see what it reads...

WD40 displaces water N dries out electrical. Old fix for bad cap or wires on old points style cars. Have used on coil packs too on newer cars. Tells ya what needs replacing. Saved my no start probs many times.

WD40 actually stands for water displacement formulta #40. It started in the aviation industry. Apparently the first 39 receipts didn't work as well as #40. LOL.

• Founders

Well my friend didn't come through last night because there were a couple tornadoes that touched down and he was a pansy lol. Anyway woke up this morning at 6:30am to be at the dealer for 7:30 because I know there is a leak of water coming from the sunroof and honestly don't have time to deal with tearing the inside of my car apart with all the crap going on plus have to have the car next week to go to Heathrow (Orlando). Didn't get to do that this morning because it was basically a hurricane out this morning and I didn't want to subject the car to more water nor did I feel safe out in its "reduced powered" state.

Well got home today from work and turned over the G6, the good news is that the "ENG PWR REDUCED" is gone from the DIC and only the check engine light remain so its slowly drying up.

Overall I'm just ready for this freaking storm to be over, tired of rain, wind and power outages...

I'm glad things are drying out and the water level is starting to recede. Keep your head up, things will get better.

Being a northern, I always hear people brag about how great Florida winters are. I never hear anyone brag about how great the Florida summers are, now I know part of the reason why.

As Red Green says, "Chin up, we are all in this together".

• Founders

Whelp dropped it off this morning, haven't heard form the dealer so I'll probably give my guy a call here over lunch soon. Driving to the dealer, it seemed 100% fine. Had acceleration and just had the CEL on then of course when the service guy was there the CEL didn't turn on :picard: Just need to fix that leak so hopefully I'm good to go.

I'm glad things are drying out and the water level is starting to recede. Keep your head up, things will get better.

Being a northern, I always hear people brag about how great Florida winters are. I never hear anyone brag about how great the Florida summers are, now I know part of the reason why.

As Red Green says, "Chin up, we are all in this together".

Yeah, this is probably one of the worst "storms", don't think it ever became a hurricane, we've had because it really just sat on top of us for a while then we had a system pass through before it too. Think it rained constantly for about 2 weeks, today is the first real "dryish" day we've had

Way I look at it is that you're going to have a weather issues no matter where you live so make sure its weather you like lol. In this case I'll take a rain and storms over snow, not because I don't like snow, I just don't want to subject my cars to it :lol:

Good, glad its getting checked out.

You can keep your hurricanes, I like thunderstorms, tornados and snow! Except I don't get any of that here in Cali... :/

• Founders

Turns out there was a short with the accelerator senor which was causing the CEL, DIC message about reduced power and of course the actual reduced power. Part is on order and should get it tomorrow. While that is happening I have them taking off the headliner to fix the drain tubes from the sunroof and inspect for leaks.

WD40 actually stands for water displacement formulta #40. It started in the aviation industry. Apparently the first 39 receipts didn't work as well as #40. LOL.

Actually, it started off in the 50's as a way to prevent corrosion on ICBMs.

• Founders

Got the 6 back, $500 later ugh... Everything seems fine, we'll see if it is fine in the rain though or if there is another leak other than from the sunroof