Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

More than meets the eye...

'Ello again. I have yet another question for fellow grand am owners.

My 01 GA has been working alright, and passed inspection with flying colors, largely in part due to chaos's rock auto parts suggestions. But I think there's something else going on with it, but it's hard to diagnose.

When I drive, it almost feels like I'm going over bumps even on a straightaway. It's a rumbly sensation. Everything works, but I fear something somewhere is either grinding or somehow out of sync. In a better world, I'd work this crap out before shit hits the fan.

Recently I'm getting the ((ABS)) light accompanied by "trac off" and "service vehicle soon." It doesn't always turn on...but when it does it stays lit for the duration of the drive. When I start the car again, it's gone.

More troubling still, yesterday when I was pulling forward after backing out of my parking spot, the tires seemed not to grip. It felt like when you try to accelerate a car on ice or snow, and it sputters a bit before the tires find their grip. The "low trac" light turned on briefly. Rest of the trip (about 12 miles through a light urban area) was fine.

Took it to the nissan dealership my wife has connections at. They say everthing seems alright, but I really ought to take it to a GM dealership to make sure. I really don't like the idea of taking my GA to some random dealership...I don't feel like wasting money like I did with that fuel pump incident. I would like to take it to a smaller mechanic, but only if I know what's wrong beforehand.

What do you think?

Duely blundered from my thunderdolt

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes, car starts getting shaky over 60 mph.

Recently I replaced one of the front tires. The rest are older...2010 and somewhere around 30k miles ago, if I had to guess.

Duely blundered from my thunderdolt

Yes, car starts getting shaky over 60 mph. Recently I replaced one of the front tires. The rest are older...2010 and somewhere around 30k miles ago, if I had to guess. Duely blundered from my thunderdolt

Rotate the front tires to the rear. If you still have the shakes, but can't feel it in the steering wheel. One of the two in the back has belts comming apart. Justa something to try.

Hub assembly. These cars crap them out after 100K like clockwork.

Have the car up in the air, check for play in the front wheels, when the bearings get bad enough, you'll hear a hum from the bad bearing.

Alignment aswell as hubs. I swear i need an alignment like every 6 months driving here and it isn't even really that bad

Haven't had an alignment in four years. Steering wheel is straight, no pull, and completely even tire wear. :lol:

I agree with JustA6 and have your tires rotated and checked. A separating belt inside a tire will do that. I also think Chaos is solid with the bearing and hub inspection. Next I would consider is looking at the CV joints. Are one of the boots torn? If so, then the CV joints have been contaminated with dirt and water and it is starting to rust/seize and needs to be replaced. How about struts or shock replacement? Is there any oil on/around the struts or shocks? It is amazing how one bad strut can effect the car. How recently were the brakes done? Maybe you have a warped rotor. Those are some other things to look at and inspect after you have checked on JustA6 and Chaos' recommendations.

i haven't had an alignment on the GA since i bought it 6yrs ago and i have replaced both outer tie-rods, all four struts and my tires wear fine.

as for the thead i would check the wheel bearings. and also try swapping the tires like mentiioned above.

• 4 weeks later...