Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

no way this happened

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Only 3? :lol:

Cool though that they were all coupes. I think I am the only coupe in my town anymore, rest are verts and sedans

Neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 3? :lol:

Cool though that they were all coupes. I think I am the only coupe in my town anymore, rest are verts and sedans

thats like one of the biggest six meets of all time lol

Mine @ the Orion Plant where it all began!

Copyofcarpictures013.jpg

i would like to get mine out there some time

The biggest 6er meet I have been to was only 3. :lol:

There isent too many NE members and even less SC ones. Which is funny cuz I see G6/Pontiac's all over the place here in SC. lol I bet it was a big hit to the Pontiac, Buick & GMC dealers out here when Pontiac went away. I wounder if SC was one of Pontiac's better sales territories???

I retired from Orion while building the G6. My daughter ordered one. Got the build # and brought her into the plant to follow the build. She even got to install some small parts along the way. Good chance I worked on everyones G6 before you got to drive it! LOL

is there any way you could find out if you helped with mine?

and ringo was that last summer if it was i'm insulted i wasn't there lol and also i said like one of the biggest meets not the biggest :D

• Founders

and ringo was that last summer if it was i'm insulted i wasn't there lol and also i said like one of the biggest meets not the biggest :D

I want to say it was 2008 or 2009, I forget lol

is there any way you could find out if you helped with mine? and ringo was that last summer if it was i'm insulted i wasn't there lol and also i said like one of the biggest meets not the biggest :D

We went to 2 shifts in 06. 50/50 chance I worked on it. G6 "carried" GM as the #1 seller up til they ended Pontiac. Still shakin my head... LIL known tidbit.....Carroll Shelby had a hand in the design of the ultimate G6 package. Not sure if was with the engine or body mods. He was suppose to visit the plant. Prototype's was JUSTA comming down the line before I retired. Each new part was hand delivered to the build station. An army of engineers followed the build to work out any build issues, fit or install prob's. Think I worked on about the 1st 10. As a co-ordinator in chassi, My area buttoned up the fascia and wheel wells overhead and a repair station. Met Ophra when they did the all out blitz for her G6 giveaway on her show and she toured the plant. We have OBAMA to thank for the demise of Pontiac, forcing GM to choose between Buick and Pontiac to downsize operations. There was a plan on the board to keep Pontiac a a niche car like the Vette. Building TA's with the Camaro and G8's with Impala. Plan was suppose to happen when the loans were repaid. Guess its not gonna happen.

FYI: Obama didn't "force" GM to choose between Pontiac and Buick. Buick was selling more cars WORLDWIDE, especially in China. Sales trumps all, and Pontiac's sales were just not there.

Pontiac's demise was the result of a business decision, and GM themselves neglecting Pontiac to the point of no return.

' timestamp='1336844553' post='71790'] FYI: Obama didn't "force" GM to choose between Pontiac and Buick. Buick was selling more cars WORLDWIDE, especially in China. Sales trumps all, and Pontiac's sales were just not there. Pontiac's demise was the result of a business decision, and GM themselves neglecting Pontiac to the point of no return.

As I stated... Gov/ forced "downsize" and left the choice of Buick or Pontiac. Saturn was a given. Agreed, sales trumps. Was also lookin for Penske to offer on Pontiac after Saturn deal fell throught??? Justa hope. After 30yrs of a daily dose of Pontiac, it still breaks my heart. Its the Pontiac gearheads that'll keep the legend alive, and sites like this one that keep em going.

GM didn't have much of a choice since it was a government loan.

Honestly, the shape GM was in, with their out dated lineup, they needed a major overhaul. Today, it's finally showing, with GM pumping out cars with quality we'd never think was possible ten years ago.

Still sad to seem them go. Don't you agree?

Sad, but at the same time, not surprising. GM just never put effort in their lineup. Sure, the Monaro, Commodore and Solstice really showed some fire behind the brand, but it just wasn't enough.

The G6 had potential, but they were too bland. At least the Grand Am it replaced didn't have the identity issues between trim levels like the G6 had.

The Grand Prix was just too outdated. The W-body was already past it's prime when the last gen GP was built, the L32 was good by 90's standards. There was the GP GXP, but a V8 with a FWD layout just held it back do much, and the LS4 had next to nothing as far as aftermarket support.

The J-body Sunfires have their followings, but their reputation with the general public is horrible. The Delta based G5 showed just how uninterested GM was in making a fun, small car for Pontiac. Don't even get me started on the insult that was the G3 (the Aveo)

With the revamp that GM did, you could bet that Pontiac would have greatly benefitted. The Chevy Sonic may have been a Pontiac model, a light, great packaged sub-compact with a spunky turbo four cylinder? The public would have loved it. The Commodore (G8) would have still been sold, and brining the Chevy Caprice would have been a lot easier.

Who knows what would have become of the G6, with the newer Malibu being four cylinder only.

The GTO, in my opinion, wasn't a good successor to its classic ancestor. It wasn't as sharp and eye catching as the G8 was. I've had GTO's pull up next to me and I don't even notice its a GTO when it gets ahead of me until I read "GTO" or see the arrow head. In my peripherals it looks like another car. The only way time I've had them stand out is if they have an after market exhaust, or hood scoops, or some decal. It should have been able to stand out stock.

Why not? It's exactly what the original GTO was, it was a plain jane Tempest with a big 383 engine shoehorned in it, only this time it was a Monaro, with an LS1 dropped in it, and a year later, the LS2.

The whole vision behind using the Monaro, was as if the GTO never left production. To be quite honest, the retro fad was annoying. Luckily it's dying off with the Domestic Big Three, but there needs to be more fresh new designs, new name plates. Back in the 60's and 70's, they weren't holding onto what past models looked like, they made newer designs and improved upon them.

To be honest, GM should have just brought over Holden as Pontiacs back in the late 90's, when the Commodore really took off.

You can't really use the argument towards the retro styling. Back in the day there was no "retro" because cars really took off in the early 1900's. Now with all the people who had the cars from the 60's and 70's are grown up and the retro styling is appealing to them. I know this first hand because my father loves my Phoenix because he said "reminds me of the days when I drove my '76 Grand Prix".

He has even commented on how Cadillac has the unique wing-shaped tail lights.

The 5th gen Camaro looks good and it takes styling cues from the 1st gen.

Now are there some retro cars that look absolutely retarded? Yes there are.*cough* HHR SSR *cough*

A little nostalgia doesn't hurt anyone, those classics have left behind a legacy and not many cars today will match, and people enjoy that.

G6 bland? Maybe the sedan a bit but no way the verts and coupes they have great lines. IMO they still look currant to me.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gafjho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The G6 was bland compared to the Grand Am, especially with trims. The GTP, GT and base all look the same on the exterior. At least with the Grand Ams, the SEs and GTs looked different.