Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Justa66 build

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ok, been awhile so I will update. Hood insulation was a no go. Fab'ed a metal cover for inside. Had to cut out for carbs, but almost completely covers the air cleaners. Sooo drilled my hood scoop inserts and made a foam rubber funnel around the carbs under my new metal, while I can't call it ram air. Its breathing throught the hood now.

CopyofGto12020.jpg

CopyofGto12019.jpg

CopyofGto12018.jpg

Made the All Pontiac Dustoff in June for the 1st outing of the GTO with the rest of my TRIBE!

CopyofGto12087.jpg

From carbs to steering gears and many other issues were sorted out this summer. 2nd car event it attended was the Woodward Dream Cruise.

CopyofGto12039-1.jpg

Gto12043-1.jpg

Hit one last show in Milford Mi and the GTO took its 1st award. Even in WIP mode. (work in progress)

CopyofGto12009-1.jpg

CopyofGto12045-3.jpg

What a great story pal. Give me a call if you need help this winter doing wrenching and body work (assuming I don't have a '54 Chevy pickup project myself). I'm glad to see you did so well at Bakers. I don't recall you telling me at Woodward that it was a 421 SD motor. I thought it was an HO motor (still I'd take either one of them).

Have you solved your heating issue? Anything more on the carb situation?

BTW - Notallthere and I have a sh*tload of quarters, we want to pay to play too ! LOL! :rofl:

...and where can I find an indian head piece for my tiger?

What a great story pal. Give me a call if you need help this winter doing wrenching and body work (assuming I don't have a '54 Chevy pickup project myself). I'm glad to see you did so well at Bakers. I don't recall you telling me at Woodward that it was a 421 SD motor. I thought it was an HO motor (still I'd take either one of them). Have you solved your heating issue? Anything more on the carb situation? BTW - Notallthere and I have a sh*tload of quarters, we want to pay to play too ! LOL! :rofl: ...and where can I find an indian head piece for my tiger?

Carb issue seems to be the center(small) ventui's loosing up and allowing the spring/checkball to continue leaking gas even after the motor is shut off. Had it apart so many times, but was was looking for probs with the float. Tightening seemed to solve the prob, but after running they loosen back up. I made my own fan schroud and that helps alot keeping it right around 180. Breathing outside air through the hood also helped, but I still have the Chevy radiator in it.

Copy2ofBird002.jpg

CopyofBird003-1.jpg

A good chunk O da summer was steering issues. Ordered 6 different steering gears from 3 Parts suppliers before I finally found one that worked, but also had to change my knuckle. All that N very LIL difference from the one I replaced, still having 1/3 turn of play in the wheel. Finally contacted the supplier, who argued that all their products were tested before leaving the plant. So I took the car up to Advanced auto and pulled the manager out. They had very LIL info in the computer, but I came armed with the company phone and rep contact #. After a round about on the phone, the factory rep sent me a quick ratio steering gear and a new knuckle (like my old one) @ no extra charge. New parts arrived 2hours before the Bakers cruise N I dropped it in and made it over there. BIG difference. Still follows road lines with the 60 series tires on the front. Now I'm back to issues with the USED 350 trans. Its leaking like crazy (pan gasket) but I have a new factory Chrome replacement pan that will correct that prob. Car will lite em up N push ya back in the seat, but not like it should. With the B&M ratchet shifter, I finally pulled it back to 1st to run it throught the gears by hand. Ya better be holding onto something!!! Apparently its not downshifting all the way to 1st. Bringing up the next delema. I had purchased a 200R4 w/overdrive that with reworking will handle the power of the 421. Downside....1200.00 to upgrade, but overdrive will help with gas $$$. Didn't have the $$ and anxious to get er on the road, I bought the WORKIN 350 to get er on the road. So do I sink time/$$ into the 350?? or save up for the 200R4?? Like everyone else $$ R a prob and have to choose my battles wisely. The replacement radiator and correct fan schroud is almost 500.00 But like the trans, it's good enought to get me on the road for now. I have my Flowmasters and tips I want to make my exhaust, but have to buy pipe (and my buddies bender Justa kinks the bends and flattens the backside) or have someone do the exhaust for me. Still lookin @ another 500.00. This is a huge issue with the wife, exhaust under the car stinks bad (esp running rich) and need to drive with the windows down. Need a drivers seat (so I can get rid of the awful seat covers) again 400.00 for foam/covers and ??$$ to have it done. Would have hoped to have this all worked out this summer and be moving onto paint this winter. My cost in materials comes out around 2000.00. But will have to replace all rubber doorseals, window seals ect before re-assembly upping that cost as well. Too much thinkin and I've already wasted half the Bowhunting this month and haven't even been out yet. OHHHHH for the LOVE of PONTIAC......................

Sounds like you love Pontiac more than Bambi pot pie. What a man !!!!

Here are my thoughts on the 200 4R, do it. I am still kicking myself for not getting one for the Lemans when I had the chance. As much cross country and even short distance expressway driving that I do all over SE Michigan, it would have paid for itself already. Assuming you are keeping the GTO for the next 10 or more years, I think you have a reasonable payback time. Otherwise, I suspect a gear vendor's overdrive unit will run almost the same money new, however, you don't throw away your 350TH.

The tranny leak. Is it an old pan gasket or perhaps the wrong one? I had a '73 Lemans Sport Coupe as a kid that had a 375TH. It was a 350 case with 400 gears in it. The standard 350 gasket would not seal properly as there was an extra curve in the case that would not allow the 350 gasket to work correctly.. So I had to hunt around for one.

Have you replaced the jag joint when you replaced the steering gear? I am wondering if that could some part of your play in your wheel.

I had to replace the fan shroud on my Lemans back in '01. The plastic around the rubber radiator mounts disintegrated. I found a used unit on eBay in Towa. With shipping it was still less than half of a new one from YearOne. The only things I had to do to it were paint it (it was sun and weather faded from years being propped next to a barn and Dremel out a small recess to widen the area for the lower radiator hose.

Can you go to a local furniture store or manufacturer to see if you can get any extra seating foam they might have lying around (assuming it is big enough for your seats? Seat covers are not cheap but well worth the money. If you are sticking to the stock seat covers, you could do most of the work yourself.

As for paint, yeah $2000 is probably about right. Paint is stupidly expensive, depending on the brand of paint you use. My car uses PPG, which is high end and therefore expensive. I know some people love Duplicolor or Summit Racing's paint. That's fine when you are on a shoe string. I know you want to do it right, so perhaps you fix the mechanicals in 2012-13 and enjoy it one more year. Save your pennies and get the paint done in 2013-2014. Just my two cents worth anyways.

Sounds like you love Pontiac more than Bambi pot pie. What a man !!!! Here are my thoughts on the 200 4R, do it. I am still kicking myself for not getting one for the Lemans when I had the chance. As much cross country and even short distance expressway driving that I do all over SE Michigan, it would have paid for itself already. Assuming you are keeping the GTO for the next 10 or more years, I think you have a reasonable payback time. Otherwise, I suspect a gear vendor's overdrive unit will run almost the same money new, however, you don't throw away your 350TH. The tranny leak. Is it an old pan gasket or perhaps the wrong one? I had a '73 Lemans Sport Coupe as a kid that had a 375TH. It was a 350 case with 400 gears in it. The standard 350 gasket would not seal properly as there was an extra curve in the case that would not allow the 350 gasket to work correctly.. So I had to hunt around for one. Have you replaced the jag joint when you replaced the steering gear? I am wondering if that could some part of your play in your wheel. I had to replace the fan shroud on my Lemans back in '01. The plastic around the rubber radiator mounts disintegrated. I found a used unit on eBay in Towa. With shipping it was still less than half of a new one from YearOne. The only things I had to do to it were paint it (it was sun and weather faded from years being propped next to a barn and Dremel out a small recess to widen the area for the lower radiator hose. Can you go to a local furniture store or manufacturer to see if you can get any extra seating foam they might have lying around (assuming it is big enough for your seats? Seat covers are not cheap but well worth the money. If you are sticking to the stock seat covers, you could do most of the work yourself. As for paint, yeah $2000 is probably about right. Paint is stupidly expensive, depending on the brand of paint you use. My car uses PPG, which is high end and therefore expensive. I know some people love Duplicolor or Summit Racing's paint. That's fine when you are on a shoe string. I know you want to do it right, so perhaps you fix the mechanicals in 2012-13 and enjoy it one more year. Save your pennies and get the paint done in 2013-2014. Just my two cents worth anyways.

I'm assuming the vacume module is bad on the tranney and possably the kickdown cable. Was impressed the front and rear seals appeared to be new N clean before I installed it. Pan gasket didn't start leaking til after Woodward. Already have the replacement pan/gasket. The 200 will find its way HOME somewhere down the line.

Advanced Auto was the only one to have a semi-correct steering gear. After getting it home my knuckle/rag joint had a flat side on the shaft and Advanced didn't have a part #. I called the vendor and he stated that he just sent a shipment to them and they DID have correct part. Main warehouse is down South. Us Northern fingers don't have complete access to inventory. WHY???

He sent me the part# to order through Advanced. They thought I was nuts comming in an telling them (store manager) how to order what I need. Even more amazed when it worked!!! I walk in now and all the counter guys say...GTO Steve is in the house. :bowdown: So after discussing with the vendor the 2nd time and the store manager backing up my story on what parts he had available. The vendor then helped the SM order the correct part # for MY steering gear, upgrade @ no extra cost and also sent the NEW original knuckle/rag joint as well. Everything is new, but I still have a small amount of play.

Cooling setup works for now as well.

Exhaust is the next issue. Have 50 series Flowmasters 2 1/2in and bought the very expensive TA double chrome tips. These will be exiting before the rear tires. Simple bends, but my bud doesn't have the correct 2 1/2in die's. His bender is for tube chassi, not exhaust. I tried bending junk pieces before buying my new.

Seat covers embarrass me the most. Need the correct foam (thats half the cost) and a hog ring kit to do it myself. Barry (SONIC) has another seat and will take mine as a swap, but he wants 250.00. Question is how long would his old/new seat last before it tears up as opposed to 150 more for brand new cover??? Then again will the new cover match my old pass/seat? or do I need to do both, upping the cost to 1000.00. I could always put 2 NEW adjustable/reclining seats in for 500.00, but I've kept everything mostly stock so far. :pontiac: I'm also looking for Chrome "carrage" seat belts. Have 2 but using 2 - 70's black plastic (that have already broken beyond repair. :slap:

I purchased the front and rear seat covers from Legendary Auto Interiors all at once and then paid my upholstery guy to take them apart to add the blue piping. So my experience says replace everything at once so they match. So $500+ plus for front and back seat covers from Legendary. My uphosltery guy added more foam to my seats for me.

Have you talked to anyone at Midas, Tuffy or Muffler Man for mandrel bends or a custom exhaust? What about getting a 2 1/2 universal pip kit and making you own? It's a lot of hassle, but it might be a lot cheaper. I think Magnaflow and Dynomax both sell these kits.

I purchased the front and rear seat covers from Legendary Auto Interiors all at once and then paid my upholstery guy to take them apart to add the blue piping. So my experience says replace everything at once so they match. So $500+ plus for front and back seat covers from Legendary. My uphosltery guy added more foam to my seats for me. Have you talked to anyone at Midas, Tuffy or Muffler Man for mandrel bends or a custom exhaust? What about getting a 2 1/2 universal pip kit and making you own? It's a lot of hassle, but it might be a lot cheaper. I think Magnaflow and Dynomax both sell these kits.

Original Parts Group is what I'm basing my #'s on for seats. Justa checked Legendary and they appear to be the same on covers, but didn't see foam or hog ring sets. I've seen cheaper, but you usually get whatcha pay for. I agree on doing all at once. I like using galvinized pipe for exhaust. Last longer N it polishes up like stainless. Downfall is you can't weld it as it gives off toxic gas. So it needs to be one piece....measure 3 times, bend it once! LOL Been lookin for an old buddy that had his shop, but went under. Heard he still has his equipment but moved to Waterford area since I last saw him before his divorce. I could buy prebent pieces of steel pipe N jigsaw it together, but a ton of clamps look tacky and welded/ground area's rust quickly. Don't like painted exhaust.

NPD is in your backyard an has hog ring sets. Also they have just expanded into the Lemans and GTO cars. The best part is they are in your backyard.

NPD is in your backyard an has hog ring sets. Also they have just expanded into the Lemans and GTO cars. The best part is they are in your backyard.

Easy to find parts....Harder to find $$$. :lol2:

• 1 month later...

Steve,Monty the exhaust guy?he is good but..you know.kieth's in westland is gonna do mine headers back 500.00 seen his work and its good! right down the street from my tire guy,Harlow tire.ya have to get there an hr before he opens as people are lined up,first come first served.

Steve,Monty the exhaust guy?he is good but..you know.kieth's in westland is gonna do mine headers back 500.00 seen his work and its good! right down the street from my tire guy,Harlow tire.ya have to get there an hr before he opens as people are lined up,first come first served.

I've known Monty N his wife for longer than I care to admit. He does good work, lil pricey. Kinda ticked me off last time I had my truck done with him. His wife will get a call if I get tagged on the seats. She is the best. Forest is by far the best exhaust workman I've seen and have already talked with him. I have to get new reducers for the headers N my straight pipe to mufflers, weld and install, then he will finish the rest for me. Was hoping to get my exhaust finished before snow hit. My $$ have now been spent for the seat parts. LOL

• 9 years later...

Your '66 looks exactly like the one I had in 1972...right down to the Cragars. I bought mine for $650.00 off a car lot, but found there was a large cloud of blue smoke following it everywhere. I installed a junk yard 400 and drove it for a while, then traded for some piece of crap Chevy van. We all make mistakes.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Hey JustA! I JustA found my original picture of something I think you recognize!

D999B8FD-8592-4AB6-9710-8250911F0641.jpeg
recognize the one on the right? This was the original picture I had taken to send to a notable wheel mfg. in 1979 to see if they had an interest. They said it would cost to much to build.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Last Indian said:

No doubt, after all your goat was built before my Z! I was JustA holden on to that wheel till I found ya! Couldn’t have found a better home for it. JustA to clarify, the right one is the wheel you now have, different horn button.

OOOOOOOhhh I know which one and will always be grateful Gary.

• Like 2