Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Justa66 build

Purchased in 07. 66 GTO stripped to the bone racecar. THAT was my 1st mistake. Got er home plates ins. Pulled the Bird over to get a family shot. Justa6 N Justa66.

IMG_0026.jpg

Thumpin 396 Chevy, No brakes, Entire frontend was sooo shot you could move the wheels back into the fenders. Front to rear missing rubber in bushings. Replace all...upgrade to disk. New Cragers N sticky Mickeys. Interior was completely torn out. Seat mounts welded to the floor for fiberglass race seat. So many holes in tunnel (for diff/shifters) All wiring ripped or cut out. Toggle hot, toggle start. Did find the dash pad in trunk. Did get some interior parts, org seats (destroyed), oddball chrome, couple shot doorpads N 2 armrest. LOL 1 was a backseat. Rust through on pass/floorboard N trunk was cheese.

CopyofDSC_1426.jpg

After years finding GTO parts new and used. Including a 421 SD Tripower motor. I couldn't align the front end with all new parts. Guessing frame damage. Got your Chevy hangin!!!!

CopyofDSC_1436.jpg

CopyofHalloween039.jpg

Frame shop confirmed. Frame is bent in sooo many places, straighten one bends another worse. Then they found front A arm mounts (pass/side)were cut off and rewelded to straighten out. GAME OVER. Floors, missing body mounts. What wasn't rusted off was used to bolt body directly to frame. Inner rockers were Justa plain missing and tranney was holding floors up. Junk it bro. I dont think so......... Worked for PMD 30 yrs, will spend the next 30 building my dream car if thats what it takes now. This was a Thurs. Shop owner told me to haul it outta there by Monday. = DEPRESSION. Made 1 phone call and found a frame. CATCH..its a complete car that needs to be stripped. Me and owner started @ 8am, 75 miles from my house and completely stripped this car right down to gauges, glass and window tracks. Fought with owner over the dash harness as it had all bulbs/sockets missing from my GTO. I won. Had it home by 1:30pm!

CopyofGTOSquare1018.jpg

By myself claimed my new frame prize by 7:30 same day. Sanded, painted/cleared and had it up to shop Monday @ 8 am. Already on jig. They picked up my body and dropped it on new frame. Now haul this pile O parts home. He didn't charge me for any work. I tip my hat to you for takin on this project.

CopyofGTOSquare1021.jpg

CopyofGTOSquare1035.jpg

Back to SQUARE 1. Transfered all new suspension including the cleaned/painted A arms to new frame. Body up and major rebuilding begins as doorpost braces are also rusted away. Fabricated all new and inner rockers and kick pads with new air boxes. NEW floorpans/braces/body mounts front to trunk. Tore out shoulder tendons and rotator cuff lining up body mounts. (way to go might mouse)

Copyofsleds003.jpg

Rebuilt the 421 and dropped er into the framerails. Til rust do you part! All Pontiac with better warpaint!

Copyofsleds006.jpg

Final push to "git er done" for the Woodward Dream Cruise in Aug. Couldn't use the Lemans electrical harness, but seperated and built my own using missing clips/sockets to rewire the entire car. JUSTA use painless...trust me.

Copyofsleds008-1.jpg

Interiour mods include console and the very rare pay to play option. Justa like the LIL car outside the grocery store. LMAO

Copyofsleds003-3.jpg

Finally, 1st fire and ride with stops for photos. Overheat, sometimes workin sometimes not rear tail lights keep er home for the dream cruise. 2days before and have to give up and get the Sunbird ready for display with the Sta-bil rig for the weekend.

Copyofsleds014-2.jpg

Copyofsleds020.jpg

Monday Aug 26th I go into have my shoulder rebuilt. OH for the love of Pontiac. I waited too long for surgery and they can't reattach my bi-cep. During the downtime installed new heater core. hoping the extra coolent in system will help with overheat, rewired rear tail lights with new sockets and also wired in sequential tail lights, VERY COOL. Fabbed up a fan schroud and finished installing new wheel well/rocker chrome. 1st pics out for this year.

CopyofBird001.jpg

Justa in the driveway, but temp never got past 180. Using a single carb throttle cable and had to shorten, still not 100% open. Need to replace with a Tri cable. Every piece has been found. Missing only the original radio knobs for an AM I picked up to fill the hole in dash. Will hide a better setup for tunes. Also missing the square domelight cover. Need new chrome clips for missing window trim front/rear clips. Enough to hold em in place, but took too long to find the chrome. Want it right. Paint will be on the back burner til next winter. Timing is the next issue. Runs, idles well, but has major stumble. There are only 2 marks on crank pulley with no timing scale. Only a peep hole to line up. Gonna install new tune up parts and try the other timing mark. As I live on dirt roads and rainin straight throught the last week. Can't wait for the roads to dry up N test N tune.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Any suggestions how to get pic's up? Changed IMG to img and pic's were up in preview. How did I screw this up?

Purchased in 07. 66 GTO stripped to the bone racecar. THAT was my 1st mistake. Got er home plates ins. Pulled the Bird over to get a family shot. Justa6 N Justa66.

IMG_0026.jpg

Thumpin 396 Chevy, No brakes, Entire frontend was sooo shot you could move the wheels back into the fenders. Front to rear missing rubber in bushings. Replace all...upgrade to disk. New Cragers N sticky Mickeys. Interior was completely torn out. Seat mounts welded to the floor for fiberglass race seat. So many holes in tunnel (for diff/shifters) All wiring ripped or cut out. Toggle hot, toggle start. Did find the dash pad in trunk. Did get some interior parts, org seats (destroyed), oddball chrome, couple shot doorpads N 2 armrest. LOL 1 was a backseat. Rust through on pass/floorboard N trunk was cheese.

CopyofDSC_1426.jpg

After years finding GTO parts new and used. Including a 421 SD Tripower motor. I couldn't align the front end with all new parts. Guessing frame damage. Got your Chevy hangin!!!!

CopyofDSC_1436.jpg

CopyofHalloween039.jpg

Frame shop confirmed. Frame is bent in sooo many places, straighten one bends another worse. Then they found front A arm mounts (pass/side)were cut off and rewelded to straighten out. GAME OVER. Floors, missing body mounts. What wasn't rusted off was used to bolt body directly to frame. Inner rockers were Justa plain missing and tranney was holding floors up. Junk it bro. I dont think so......... Worked for PMD 30 yrs, will spend the next 30 building my dream car if thats what it takes now. This was a Thurs. Shop owner told me to haul it outta there by Monday. = DEPRESSION. Made 1 phone call and found a frame. CATCH..its a complete car that needs to be stripped. Me and owner started @ 8am, 75 miles from my house and completely stripped this car right down to gauges, glass and window tracks. Fought with owner over the dash harness as it had all bulbs/sockets missing from my GTO. I won. Had it home by 1:30pm!

CopyofGTOSquare1018.jpg

By myself claimed my new frame prize by 7:30 same day. Sanded, painted/cleared and had it up to shop Monday @ 8 am. Already on jig. They picked up my body and dropped it on new frame. Now haul this pile O parts home. He didn't charge me for any work. I tip my hat to you for takin on this project.

CopyofGTOSquare1021.jpg

CopyofGTOSquare1035.jpg

Back to SQUARE 1. Transfered all new suspension including the cleaned/painted A arms to new frame. Body up and major rebuilding begins as doorpost braces are also rusted away. Fabricated all new and inner rockers and kick pads with new air boxes. NEW floorpans/braces/body mounts front to trunk. Tore out shoulder tendons and rotator cuff lining up body mounts. (way to go might mouse)

Copyofsleds003.jpg

Rebuilt the 421 and dropped er into the framerails. Til rust do you part! All Pontiac with better warpaint!

Copyofsleds006.jpg

Final push to "git er done" for the Woodward Dream Cruise in Aug. Couldn't use the Lemans electrical harness, but seperated and built my own using missing clips/sockets to rewire the entire car. JUSTA use painless...trust me.

Copyofsleds008-1.jpg

Interiour mods include console and the very rare pay to play option. Justa like the LIL car outside the grocery store. LMAO

Copyofsleds003-3.jpg

Finally, 1st fire and ride with stops for photos. Overheat, sometimes workin sometimes not rear tail lights keep er home for the dream cruise. 2days before and have to give up and get the Sunbird ready for display with the Sta-bil rig for the weekend.

Copyofsleds014-2.jpg

Copyofsleds020.jpg

Monday Aug 26th I go into have my shoulder rebuilt. OH for the love of Pontiac. I waited too long for surgery and they can't reattach my bi-cep. During the downtime installed new heater core. hoping the extra coolent in system will help with overheat, rewired rear tail lights with new sockets and also wired in sequential tail lights, VERY COOL. Fabbed up a fan schroud and finished installing new wheel well/rocker chrome. 1st pics out for this year.

CopyofBird001.jpg

Justa in the driveway, but temp never got past 180. Using a single carb throttle cable and had to shorten, still not 100% open. Need to replace with a Tri cable. Every piece has been found. Missing only the original radio knobs for an AM I picked up to fill the hole in dash. Will hide a better setup for tunes. Also missing the square domelight cover. Need new chrome clips for missing window trim front/rear clips. Enough to hold em in place, but took too long to find the chrome. Want it right. Paint will be on the back burner til next winter. Timing is the next issue. Runs, idles well, but has major stumble. There are only 2 marks on crank pulley with no timing scale. Only a peep hole to line up. Gonna install new tune up parts and try the other timing mark. As I live on dirt roads and rainin straight throught the last week. Can't wait for the roads to dry up N test N tune.

There you go. For some reason the http:// parts were messed up in all the URLs, as well as some words. :lol: All fixed. I don't have mod powers in this forum, so I can't fix your fix post with this.

' timestamp='1336441292' post='71485'] There you go. For some reason the http:// parts were messed up in all the URLs, as well as some words. :lol: All fixed. I don't have mod powers in this forum, so I can't fix your fix post with this.

Thankz. It looked good in preview, clicked post N........

Thankz. It looked good in preview, clicked post N........

In the upper left hand corner of where the post options are, there's a button labeled "toggle editing mode", make sure it's off when pasting URLs directly onto the post. Otherwise it doubles up tags, and gets messy.

good work Chaos. and the pics. :blink: awesome. i like the "pay to play" one. and well, the GTO too. :D

Dannnng, so much work! I admire your Pontiac dedication. We are all nuts, and that's what I love about us!

• Founders

good work Chaos. and the pics. :blink: awesome. i like the "pay to play" one. and well, the GTO too. :D

I love your GTO!!! :dancingpontiac:

That's ok guys, I'll edit his post :rofl:

Amazing GTO and Sunbird!!!!! I would love to have a '66 GTO. If I ever get rich I see a '66 GTO, a '67 Firebird and a '69 Camaro being the first few cars I buy.

That's ok guys, I'll edit his post :rofl:

what do i pay you for? i did the spoiler tag as well as the tapatalk update. :D

Thankz, truly a labor of love. Pontiac...still makin dreams come true!

Dannnng, so much work! I admire your Pontiac dedication. We are all nuts, and that's what I love about us!

LOL takes one to know one for sure.

That's ok guys, I'll edit his post :rofl: Amazing GTO and Sunbird!!!!! I would love to have a '66 GTO. If I ever get rich I see a '66 GTO, a '67 Firebird and a '69 Camaro being the first few cars I buy.

Might not have done it if I knew what it would end up involving. Really thought I'd have it thrown together and on the road the 1st summer. WRONG

• 2 weeks later...

I could hardly read my GTO gauges even with the dash lights on. So I pulled it and found that when they gutted the car for racing. They pulled the dash pad, radio yanked or cut ALL wiring and spray bombed what was left black. overspray got in behind the lens and all over the gauges. Add about 2 lbs of dirt N bugs with the lights and idiot lights missing and open holes. I had no idea the gauge background was blue!!! Only the tach was true black.

CopyofGto12004.jpg

Hours of cleaning, reassembling, reglued some edges of the wood vaneer, hand painted all silver trim, The AM radio I was screwed on, buying from EBAY, had the brackets missing from the ON/OFF switch leaving no way to properly mount the radio. Made new and installed. Then I could add the correct radio knobs (25.00) to match the rest of the dash. Radio was JUSTA plug to fill the dash, but was suppose to be working and also showed it came with the correct knobs. BIG FIGHT...I LOST all the way around. 65.00 total + work to even install it. Looks good all cleaned up. I can laugh now.

CopyofGto12011.jpg

Got er all back together N rubbed off some of the nubbs from the new tires, this includes a braking test as well. (short driveway) and took Momma N the dawg for the 1st cruise of 2012 to see if the fan schroud I made would help with overheat issues. Worked well on a very cool night here stickin to 190, but it has a 180 thermostate. I'm not done with overheat issues yet. :indian:

CopyofGto12009.jpg

I have no idea how to link this with the 1st post in my progression thread. But its here. :slap:

Great job! --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zuehxb Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankz man. Been workin today on the OL hood insulation pad. NASTY...Gotta do something about that. The plan seems to be working so far. Will be my next post to the thread. Good or bad. :naughty::pontiac:

Nice! Good the gauges are readable lol

I used rubbing compound on a Q-tip stayin away from the white marker lines, Then JUSTA dot of thinner on a rag to make the white pop back to original. Finish with Meguires. Then used same method on the lens N polished er right up. Whatta difference!

• 4 months later...

Ok, been awhile so I will update. Hood insulation was a no go. Fab'ed a metal cover for inside. Had to cut out for carbs, but almost completely covers the air cleaners. Sooo drilled my hood scoop inserts and made a foam rubber funnel around the carbs under my new metal, while I can't call it ram air. Its breathing throught the hood now.

CopyofGto12020.jpg

CopyofGto12019.jpg

CopyofGto12018.jpg

Made the All Pontiac Dustoff in June for the 1st outing of the GTO with the rest of my TRIBE!

CopyofGto12087.jpg

From carbs to steering gears and many other issues were sorted out this summer. 2nd car event it attended was the Woodward Dream Cruise.

CopyofGto12039-1.jpg

Gto12043-1.jpg

Hit one last show in Milford Mi and the GTO took its 1st award. Even in WIP mode. (work in progress)

CopyofGto12009-1.jpg

CopyofGto12045-3.jpg

Nice! That Goat looks good

Thankz bro. Plan was to get er together and make this puzzle of new/used parts working. Might strip it down again and start the bodywork/paint this winter. Many probs, but driving it this summer after 5yrs of building was priceless.