Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Five Future Goldmines

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/05/05/five-future-automotive-collectibles-if-youve-got-one-these-cars-could-be/?intcmp=features

"Five future automotive collectibles: If you've got one of these cars, you could be sitting on gold

Published May 05, 2012

| Hagerty

advertisement

Car people of a certain age have all had one of those “I wish I’d had a crystal ball” moments while watching a 1960s muscle car sell for huge money on a televised auction. With some cars, you can ditch the crystal ball; it’s just a matter of time before a new generation of collectors recognize them for what they are and pay up accordingly. Here’s our list of future blue chippers:  

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe: The Solstice coupe was a particularly sad story from the saddest part of GM’s long history. The original Solstice convertible was an attractive two-seat sports car that suffered from a serious case of bad packaging. When the top was down, there was barely enough room for a toothbrush in the trunk. The gorgeous fastback hardtop coupe version addressed this lack or storage while still retaining the open air feeling of the convertible by virtue of a lift off roof panel. Just 1,200 or so were built before GM offed the Solstice, the plant it was built in, and Pontiac itself. 

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Another heartbreaker from GM. While four-door sedans generally don’t get the love from collectors, we’re betting this one will buck that trend. The G8 was a rear wheel-drive sedan from GM’s Australian Holden division.  Imported as the G8, a little over 1,800 G8 GXPs were built with a 415 hp Corvette derived V-8 and an available Tremec 6-speed gearbox. The G8 GXPs performance stats put '60s muscle cars to shame — 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 13 seconds flat. It was a half-price BMW M5 that never had a chance to find its market. 

2008-09 Ford Mustang Bullitt Edition: In the collectible automotive world, all things associated with Steve McQueen have some added luster. Ford made a lot of fans of the 1968 action film "Bullitt" very happy when they released a special edition of the Mustang designed to resemble the green 1968 Mustang driven by McQueen’s character Lieutenant Frank Bullitt. It wasn’t the first time that Ford tried to capitalize on the film (there was a 2001 Bullitt Mustang), but this version of the Bullitt Mustang was by far the most seriously retro, and future collectors will prize good examples. 

2005-06 Ford GT: OK, we're cheating just a little bit here. In point of fact, although it’s only been out of production for about five years, the GT is already rather collectible. Just over 4,000 of these world-class supercars were built, essentially to commemorate Ferrari’s 1966 thrashing at the famous Le Mans race at the hands of the car’s inspiration — the Ford GT40. A dead-ringer for the original 1960s race car (complete with racing stripes), we’re guessing that the $200,000 or so these cars bring now will look like chicken feed 20 years from now.

2002-05 Ford Thunderbird: This retro-cool re-imagining of the classic 1955 Thunderbird was actually a pretty competent car that shared its underpinnings with both Lincoln and Jaguar. More of a boulevard cruiser than a sports car, the car perfectly captured the spirit of the original T-Bird. How the same people who came up with the Bullitt Edition Mustang could have resisted an “American Graffiti” version of the T-Bird in white is beyond us.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/05/05/five-future-automotive-collectibles-if-youve-got-one-these-cars-could-be/print#ixzz1u1VLHBNR"

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad and I want a Solstice Coupe GXP so bad. SO BAD. If he had a better income and I didn't have so much student loan debt, we would have had one. Maybe in a couple years, before the prices shoot up... I can only hope, and work my butt off to pay these loans!

My grandpa has a G8 GXP. Red on red, manual, BEAST. I love that thing.

I'll never own either unless I win the lottery. I love them both, even though I cannot fit in a Solstice, my wife can.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

I want a Saturn Sky Red Line. There just so much dam fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I first orginally tried to buy the g8 but that went for crazy money, just like solstices I was looking but in there case I actually ended up buying one. Mostly because I had been talking about them to my parents since the concept came out in like 02 and than again in 07. So my parents used their connections to find one for me to buy.

I was obsessed with the Solstice concept when it came out. I had posters of it and everything. I think I'm destined to own one. I was obsessed with the Opel Speedster, too.

I was obsessed with the Solstice concept when it came out. I had posters of it and everything. I think I'm destined to own one. I was obsessed with the Opel Speedster, too.

I was obsessed with the G8 the first time I ever saw one. I remember driving down the road and going "BLLAARRHRHHRAFAFAFAFAFF WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT?!!??!!" (literally word for word) .

I went home and searched. I came.

• Founders

I was obsessed with the G8 the first time I ever saw one. I remember driving down the road and going "BLLAARRHRHHRAFAFAFAFAFF WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT?!!??!!" (literally word for word) .

I went home and searched. I came.

I remember the announcement of the G8, I went crazy and that was my fantasy car till the Camaro came out. lol

Still would love a G8 GXP, just don't think it will ever be for me :(

I like the G8's but I had posters and everything of the solstice. I was also obessed with the GTO's I so wanted one but I just never got one. The g6 was actually the compromise between getting one lol. Just last week this younger kid passed 4 cars in a v6 g8 on a one lane road.

I used to go to the Pontiac dealership and take all the brochures lol

I have the full 2009 Pontiac line one and 2 G8 ones. That's when I found out I can't fit in a Solstice. :(

Even if the seat is all the way back and all the way down? The thing with verts is they have no little side rear windows, never know how much you miss then til you go to use them.

• Founders

Even if the seat is all the way back and all the way down? The thing with verts is they have no little side rear windows, never know how much you miss then til you go to use them.

I love the look of the Sol Coupes and very true about the side window. Test drove a Camaro vert and was looking there but no success :lol:

Yep, my knees hit the dash under the steering wheel... :(

I used to go to the Pontiac dealership and take all the brochures lol

:lol: thief.

That's when I found out I can't fit in a Solstice. :(

sucks for you dude.