Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

• Founders

Whelp just wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys before I start messing around with my spark plugs. Anywho to the story...

Today I drove the Camaro to work and I park the G6 in the driveway. This morning my LX9 in the G6 started up fine, backed her out, put her on the curb and got my Camaro out of the garage to driveway to drive to work. Got back in parked the G6 in the garage, everything was fine. Went work blah blah blah. Came home parked the Camaro, opened the garage, got in the G6 started her up, parked her on the curb, pulled the Camaro back in the garage and then some worries happened :(

The G6 shuttered to start again so I stopped then about a min later tried again and it seemed to run real rich with a real rough idle so I turned her off and popped the hood. Nothing visually or could get my fingers around was wrong so I figured maybe for some reason I had some bad gas or something. Started her up again and she was perfect, backed her up and put her in the driveway with no issues.

My wondering is was it just some bad gas or something that she worked out with the ignition OR is it something with my spark plugs seeing as I'm almost at 50k miles and haven't replaced them. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the spark plugs anyway soon due to there is bound to be some gunk but figured I'd hear ideas first.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

was it the hard to start that all v6 G6's do from time to time or something else? Mine does it every so often especially if I start it then let it run for only a min or two then start it again. Or if I start it go to the store 5 min away turn it off then after I come out of the store it does it. Its almost like the car gets flooded like an older car. I usally have to pin the gas to the floor to start it so it starts like normal when it happens. Its a well documented issue with the g6 v6's in the g6 community but not with GM. I also have not read one single person figuring out why the V6's do it every so often.

• Founders

Yeah going to pull the plugs today and check them out.

Never heard about that Joe and this is my first issue. Going to drive her today too and check it out.

I remember when my GA first did that. :lol:

The LX9 uses iridium plugs, and are supposed to last for 90,000 miles. Unless you've had previous issues, like a clogged cat, or drive the car hard (like me :lol:) or never used a fuel cleaner.

For some reason my Dads 2010 Equinox does this SAME thing. We pulled a code that the engine is running too lean, but we can't figure out why. Somedays it is perfectly fine, but other days the CE light pops on and it does exactly what you stated, but in the same day it does that is sometimes stops too. I don't get it.

• Founders

Just went to the store with the 6 and started like it was brand new both times. I'm thinking it's what Joe was saying. I'm stumped, maybe just the G6 is jealous and it's just misbehaving to get under my skin or to pay it more attention :lol:

Just went to the store with the 6 and started like it was brand new both times. I'm thinking it's what Joe was saying. I'm stumped, maybe just the G6 is jealous and it's just misbehaving to get under my skin or to pay it more attention :lol:

Im telling you thats it, there is nothing wrong its a ghost in the g6's (v6, gt & gtp's) no pun intended ghosty.) mine will do it 3 times in a week then the next 3 months its fine. if it does it and wont start just floor it while starting it and get off the gas right away when it starts so you dont race the engine. if you search on g6p.com there are threads on it. and most of the time its after a short drive to a store than on the restart or if you go on a drive and were driving it like you stole it then stop at a store then start it again 2, 3 5 min's later. If it was acarbureted car I would tell you, you flooded it. but we know thats not the case. Mines done it since I have had it and I went a year with no issues and then it came back. lol its such a random thing

Guys, seriously...this has been a known quirk with 60*V6 OHV engines for decades. My GA does it, my dad's old 97 Buick Skylark with the L82 did it, they all do it, the later VVT engines don't seem to do this, however.