Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Shakercars's 1972 Trans Am

2019 August
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

ok spring time is exhaust time.. finally. chaoswever i've pmed you a while back and i love your setup.

i'm wanting to do flowmaster crossflow muffler just like the stock muffler, along with a glasspack and/or hi-flo cat.

for you grand am owners on here, would it be a bad idea with both hiflo cat and glasspack, or should i just leave one of them out?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have both an 18" glasspack, and a Magnaflow cat, and no SES. My cat is the direct fit model.

and i would need a new downpipe right? so it would be down pipe, hi-flo cat, glasspack, and flowmaster muffer.. sound right?

My Magnaflow cat has the downpipe. It's a bolt on piece, with the flanged ends for the exhaust manifold, and after the cat.

could you hook me up with a website that has that? that would be perfect.

Autozone sells them. I got mine for $160.

is it 2.5"?

Mine's 2.25". Honestly, unless you have headers, ported manifolds, bigger throttle body, and a tune, you'll see no gain from 2.25" to 2.5".

as of right now i have ported upper and 65mm TB. getting ported lower sometime this spring/summer. and headers.. not sure if i'll ever be getting them......

The Magnaflow I have will NOT set off the SES light, I dunno about anything else...

do they make that magnaflow with a 2.5" outlet?

Probably the cut and weld in types, yeah.

alright.. i just wanna get it all done and right the first time.

I've run several different setups on GA's, and I don't know if I've ever thrown a light because of exhaust.

Personally, with the V6, I would go with a high flow cat and no resonator. I ran that setup on my 2.4 for a while, but it was a little loud, so I added a resonator. My GT doesn't have a res, but with the headers, its still pretty loud. Many people think that it sounds better to have the res if you're running headers, but its personal opinion.

If you want a quick soundclip of my GT, let me know, I can throw one up.

so you just ran hi-flo cat then what muffler?

so you just ran hi-flo cat then what muffler?

S&S headers, S&S high flow cat, SLP cat-back.

The SLP catback is no longer made (nor the headers, actually), but I'm sure you can get a SLP muffler.

I'd like to hear that sound clip if possible... I know on my GA, I ran a custom straight pipe all into an 18"x3" truck tip and it sounded really nice :D

If you wanna hear the sound Nick is after, just find my dyno vid.

on my GA that i owned i used two Flomasters with simple dual outlets. just put in a "Y" and run each muffler.

oh and for godsakes keep a resinator on there. i hate that rasp exhausts get without them

on my GA that i owned i used two Flomasters with simple dual outlets. just put in a "Y" and run each muffler.

oh and for godsakes keep a resinator on there. i hate that rasp exhausts get without them

Why not use a crossflow? That's what I have with mine. The Flowmaster 80 series was ment for F-bodies, but sounds great with our V6's.

Better yet, here's my setup:

Magnaflow high flow cat

Cherry Bomb glasspack as resonator (18" in length)

Flowmaster 80 series muffler

My vid:

could you hook me up with links to where i get a downpipe with 2.5" piping? i've looked but i guess i haven't looked hard enough. i'm not sure if i like the way the hi-flo cat makes it sound i might just run straight to glasspack then a flowmaster 80.

Nice clip