Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pedal Squeak

i get squeaking noises when i step on or release the brake pedal. i have had it only a few days or so. a bit annoying. did something come loose? or do i use sometime of lube? and curious to know if other G6s have a squeak.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Mine did it too for like a week or more and I was going to have a tech a work look at it. But on that day it mysteriously just went away and never came back lol.

• Founders

Its the pedal itself? huh... would think something is blocking it (In this case is it harder to push the pedal?) or it needs a good lube. If its outside of the car, you need new brake pads soon.

Its the pedal itself? huh... would think something is blocking it (In this case is it harder to push the pedal?) or it needs a good lube. If its outside of the car, you need new brake pads soon.

ya the pedal itself. no pads yet, but almost. and the pedal still feels normal but jus sounds annoying.

yeah, if the lube dryed up it could squeak, form binding up. since it went away, that might have been the case, and it stopped binding.

i know my brake pedal squeaks every once in a while, but the bushings are kinda wore out at 150k+ miles. i have a set of new ones, just too much of a pain in the ass to put them in lol

My clutch pedal squeaks every couple years so all I do is put some lithium grease on the pivot points of the pedal and the noise will go away after a couple of times of pumping the pedal.

this is for later years but may still apply

Some customers may comment on a squeak noise when the brake pedal is applied or when released. This noise is normally heard when the brake pedal is slowly applied with the engine on or off, but can occur when the brake pedal is released. The noise may be isolated to the master cylinder area.

Correction

To correct this concern, remove as much of the old brake fluid from the master cylinder as possible and refill with a new DOT 3 brake fluid, P/N 88862806 (in Canada, use P/N 88862807). Start the vehicle and fully cycle the brake pedal until the noise diminishes to allow the new fluid to enter the system.

this is for later years but may still apply

Some customers may comment on a squeak noise when the brake pedal is applied or when released. This noise is normally heard when the brake pedal is slowly applied with the engine on or off, but can occur when the brake pedal is released. The noise may be isolated to the master cylinder area.

Correction

To correct this concern, remove as much of the old brake fluid from the master cylinder as possible and refill with a new DOT 3 brake fluid, P/N 88862806 (in Canada, use P/N 88862807). Start the vehicle and fully cycle the brake pedal until the noise diminishes to allow the new fluid to enter the system.

Hmmmm, I wonder if this is the reason why I had to replace my master cylinder last year? :wacko:

i havent checked or lubed the pedal. but the squeak hasnt been heard in like 3 days. soo.... :D i dont know...?

i havent checked or lubed the pedal. but the squeak hasnt been heard in like 3 days. soo.... :D i dont know...?

Like I said, you have a mouse :lol2: No, probably just cold metal stuck to each other...