Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Havoc's Questions Post.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

If it has tits or tires, you will eventually have trouble with it !

Well its true ! :dancingpontiac:

friggin money pits both of them but for some reason i love the cars and well for another reason i keep wanting women..

Yep, I know. She's a bit of a hassle. At least the Phoenix will never break my heart

too true and if they ask why you love the car so much just be like well the cars been with me how long and you have been here how long.

friggin money pits both of them but for some reason i love the cars and well for another reason i keep wanting women..

too true and if they ask why you love the car so much just be like well the cars been with me how long and you have been here how long.

Top 30 Reasons Why Cars Are Better Than Women

1. You can look at pictures of nice cars all you want to and not feel like a pervert.
  2. You can lust after another car and your current car won't care.
  3. You can hang any kind of car picture in your dorm room and not get in trouble.
  4. Women can't go 200 miles per hour.
  5. A woman can't carry four of your friends on a road trip.
  6. You can replace your car any time you want and not feel bad.
  7. A car doesn't have girlfriend cars that will talk about you and tell her that you are not good for her.
  8. You can't install sub-woofers in a woman.
  9. You can rub and wax a car in your driveway and not get arrested.
  10. Car's don't care if you leave them in the garage overnight.
  11. Cars don't care if you go on a trip for three weeks and don't call them.
  12. If you are nice enough, your friend will almost always let you borrow their car.
  13. You can get together with friends and compare cars and not sound like pigs.
  14. Car's don't get mad at you for no reason every 28 days.
  15. You can have two cars at once and they won't be jealous of each other.
  16. Cars don't have relatives that you have to be nice to.
  17. You can always test drive a car before making a commitment.
  18. Car's come with an owners manual.
  19. Your car does not care if you get fat and walk around with no shirt on.
  20. You have 100% complete control over the direction of that car at all times.
  21. You can stare at nice cars in a parking lot and your car won't care.
  22. You can't put a bumper sticker that says "How's my driving? Dial 1-800- EAT-S*IT!" on a woman.
  23. Car's could not care less about commitment.
  24. You don't mind too much if your friends always want a ride in your car.
  25. If your car is being repaired, you can usually get a loaner car.
  26. If you are 21, you can legally rent a car. 'Nuff said..
  27. You can complain about how ratty your car looks and people think it's funny.
  28. You can sell your car to a complete stranger and nobody will get mad at you.
  29. A woman does not have keyless entry or remote ignition
  30. and finally. There are 50 year old cars that still look good

• 2 months later...

What kind of plugs should I get for the GP? (3800 Series III) Also anything I should know about changing plugs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

stock ones. also take off the front dogbones and rock the engine forward and put the parking brake on to hold it to get tot he rear plugs

• 1 month later...

So the Phoenix constantly has two tires go flat. They are the passenger rear and front. I pump them full of air and they are good for about two days and then when I leave the car in the garage they go as flat as a girl in a Speedo (I would know, I'm a swimmer, I've worn a Speedo, WANNA SEE PICS? LOL) I'm scared to think it could be my rims have a hole or the tires don't catch the bead right. Uhg!

I'm gonna take them both off and test them for leaks, basically pump them up and put them one at time in the sink (My sink is that big) and see if bubbles start coming out of someplace consistantly.

Sounds like an excuse to get new (Pontiac)Rims/Tires!!!

Possible problems could be:

1. Small / slow leak in the tire somewhere - soak the tire and wheel in water/soap combination to find the leak - repair or patch the tire depending where the hole is - holes in the tread can usually be patched - holes in the sidewalls usually can not be

2. Damaged or leaking air valve or stem - replace schrader valve or entire valve stem with a new one

3. Corrision or oxidation from the wheel rim is causing the tire and wheel to come loose in a particular spot to create an air leak - the tire must be removed from the rim, the wheel must be cleaned and repaired up properly before the tire can be re-mounted. I have had this problem with a rim on my '04 Avalanche in the past year.

It might be advantageous to take your tires to your local tire store and let them find the leak and repair it for you for a few bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 2 hours of trying to diagnose the tires I gave up. Yesterday I brought them to my local mechanic. (I literally rolled them down the street to him) He said he'd check it out.

I just talked to him about 5 minutes ago and he said the only thing he can see is that the bead leaks a little bit. He's gonna dismount them, clean them, and apply a bead sealer and see if that solve the problem. He said it should be done this afternoon

Hopefully good results will come!!

Tires are all fixed! But not I have a new problem!!!! Yay!

The idler or um steer arm, not sure which (could be pitman, I have no f*cking clue I'll make a video tomorrow), on the passenger side is really loose. If I hit a pothole good say goodbye to steering.

Pitman is attached to the steering box so the one on the right is the idler arm. 25 minutes swap it out. Its one of the easiest jobs I have ever done.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPC4/K6186/02853.oap?year=1978&make=Pontiac&model=Phoenix&vi=1259827&ck=Search_02853_1259827_3354&pt=02853&ppt=C0203

Dirt Cheap too.

Tires are all fixed! But not I have a new problem!!!! Yay!

The idler or um steer arm, not sure which (could be pitman, I have no f*cking clue I'll make a video tomorrow), on the passenger side is really loose. If I hit a pothole good say goodbye to steering.

The question I is this - why is it loose? The bolts are loose or has the metal fatigued? Notallthere is right, its a relatively quick job, especially with power tools like a air ratchet or wrench.

Let me explain my concern a little more. Obviously loosing your steering is a very bad thing. We all know that. It is important to know why it is loose.

If the bolts failed or have come loose, perhaps they are corroded with age, salt, dirt, and weather and they may need to be replaced with new bolts and installed with some Loctite. Be sure to torque the bolts to the proper spec.

If the the part itself failed, then it may have failed from old age/normal wear and tear -OR- it may have failed from metal fatigue or abuse. It is important to know the difference. The idler arm's bushing will wear over time and usage (along with the pitman arms and other drag linkage components). So if the system gets sloppy or there is slack in the system, these parts should be replaced as part a regular maintenance program. If the arm or mounting bracket breaks, bends, or cracks, this is atypical and indicates either a manufacturing defect or some sort of serious abuse and/or possible problems somewhere else in the steering system.

• 3 months later...

Frosssstaaayy, or any of the other old cars guys. How would you rate the difficulty of replacing a trunk lock cylinder in a late model X-Body.......lets say.. a '78 Phoenix? :lol2:

Mine finally went and its stuck in the "open" position so the latch won't engage and I can't close the trunk. From what I see all I have to do it remove the latch mechanism and remove the horseshoe clip that holds the cylinder correct?

Also, while I'm on the topic, what about the glove box lock? Mines being annoying lol

http://www.classicindustries.com/nova/parts/body-components/trunk-components/?q=lock&y=1978&p=1&sb=0

In that link, I'm not sure what product to look at. 1954-94 lock or the 1968-79?

Just go to a GM dealership. They should be able to order you a new glovebox lock and key it to match your current key.