Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Havoc's Questions Post.

Thanks Jedi. That is a spot-on picture.

Havoc, check your owners manual for the quantity and viscosity of the gear lube for your car. A good rule of thumb is you should be able to stick your finger in the hole and be able to touch/feel the gear lube. Don't forget the new diff cover gasket too. Take your diff cover to the parts store with you too. There were several 10-bolt gasket configurations over the years, This way you get the right one. Almost all cars require gear lube replacement at 50k miles, so you are due. Also, any iidea how old the tranny fluid is in your car? It maybe due for a fluid and tranny filter change. Tranny pans are similar to the diff cover, most GM trannys don't have drain plugs - which makes draining the fluid a messy job.

You can purchase an aftermarket drain plug kit or a new tranny cover with a plug for a few bucks, depending on your budget.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The transmission filter and oil has been replaced. Remember how it leaked? Well I had the filter, gasket and fluid replaced. The cover is still the same.

One more thing. Be sure to hit the lube plug with some good penetrating oil. I suspect that the plug has only been opened once (if ever) in 34 years.

Uhm. I dont think the rear diff fluid has ever been changed. I bought the car with 90k on it and its now at like 110K. I don't know how to change Diff fluid :(

What exactly are the body bushings? and how would I replace them? The leaf springs have rust on them but its all surface. I'm also unsure if I have a rear sway bar. I will take a look at the U-joints for the drive shaft.

Body bushings are a hard rubber/urethane grommet or spacer that bolts between the car's body and frame. It reduces noise and prevents metal to metal contact between the body and chassis. You have an X-body car, which means you only have a front sub-frame. So there are only 4 bolts (other than the fenders) that holds the sub-frame to the body. These look like small hockey pucks with a bolt hole down the middle of them. Your rear end's leaf springs are bolted directly to the unibody.

You definitely have a rear sway bar. Its the the funny shaped bar that runs behind your diff cover to a bracket bolted to the underside of each of your leaf springs with 2 support brackets bolted to the unibody to provide a central location to prevent end to end sway.

Yeah I know what you are talking about. There are two large beams that run under the driver and passenger side to about the transmission pan. The bushings look like they have been replaced with actual hockey pucks. They have that same rough texture and say "OFFICIAL" on them LOL.

Well... my car was built in Canada.

Oh and if I needed one, how much would a new diff cover cost?

According to Summit Racing, $13.95 and up, plus shipping and handling, depending on what you want. I assumed you had a GM 8.5 inch 10-bolt, and not a 8.2 or 7.5 10-bolt when I checked the prices too. You might be able to get something almost as cheap at your local parts store too.Typically you don't need to replace cover unless you want to. A new gasket is a must.

One more thing. Be sure to hit the lube plug with some good penetrating oil. I suspect that plug has be only opened once (if ever) in 34 years.

Yea most of the time I have to use a breaker bar on the ratchet. I slip it over the handle to get more leverage.

Frost you have answered most of the same stuff I have with the diff & body bushings. But your posts are so much more clearer/understandable. :lol:

Well... my car was built in Canada.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee !!

Sorry I watched way too much Molson Hockey Night in Canada on CBC growing up here in Michigan.

Yea most of the time I have to use a breaker bar on the ratchet. I slip it over the handle to get more leverage.

Frost you have answered most of the same stuff I have with the diff & body bushings. But your posts are so much more clearer/understandable. :lol:

The breaker bar is probably the right way to go Jedi. Excellent suggestion.

Thanks for the compliment too Jedi. As much as I hated English composition in high school, I have come to appreciate grammar and punctuation. I have written numerous articles for my ski club, my POCI chapter, and of course, daily emails and blog posts. I have even submitted articles to POCI's Smoke Signals. So keeping it simple seems the best way to me.

Breaker bar, sweat, beer, (yes I know you are 17) swearing, PB blaster, crap I gotta do this on the truck.

All you kids look the same to me.

/>http://www.chevelles.com/vvs/

If your car was a Canadian build car then you can call these guys to get build sheets, dates and information about the construction of the car. I got one for the Chevelle and for giggles I am going to check it out for the truck.

Breaker bar, pphhhtt! That's what pneumatic tools are for dude!!!!! There is still room for beer and swearing though, so long as there is no Moosehead.

I'm 18 brah get with the times broski

All you kids look the same to me.

Children - play nice on the forum. And go clean your garages. They are a mess. Leaving tools everywhere !!!! Shame! Sham! Shame!!!!

no Moosehead.

Crap..... Well, what about Woodchuck?

I always leave tool everywhere xD

It drives my father insane.

If your car was a Canadian build car then you can call these guys to get build sheets, dates and information about the construction of the car. I got one for the Chevelle and for giggles I am going to check it out for the truck.

Yeah, my tail lights give that away.

Crap..... Well, what about Woodchuck?

I always leave tool everywhere xD

It drives my father insane.

Yeah, my tail lights give that away.

Havoc - there is a huge difference between leaving a tool around and being one !!! :lol2:

Woodchuck !?! Seriously? Can I get a Mike's Hard Lemonade chaser to go with it ?!!!! Please. You need to man up and drink quality Canada beer when working on your Canadian-built Pontiac. Molson, LaBatt's, Kokanee. You've got to learn to be evil like notallthere and me. :bump:

OOKKKKAAAAYYY WELL YOU AREN'T EVEN CANADIAN! SO BLAHHHHHH BLAHHH BLAHHHH! WOODCHUCK TASTES GOOD! I will agree that Moosehead tastes awful.

Actually my brother, my friend, and I brew our own beer sometimes.

Havoc - there is a huge difference between leaving a tool around and being one !!! :lol2:

90732067.jpg

EDIT (7:30PM EST): Phoenix is getting the exhaust routing redone. Hopefully I'll have her back by the weekend!

Drink like a pirate and go sailing with the captain!!!! (captain morgan & coke)

Im always yelling at the guys in the shop to clean up the tools it just drives me nuts when I cant find something.

Drink like a pirate and go sailing with the captain!!!! (captain morgan & coke)

Aaaarrrrrgggggggg.....and more grog for me and my men !!!!!

Yah know what a pirates favorite fast food joint is ????? AAAAArrrrrbbbiiiieeesss !