Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New member from Ohio

Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this site and thought it might get me some help.

I've had my '57 Chieftain since '73 and it's been running off and on since. I would

drive it for a while till something else would go wrong, it would be down till I could get it fixed,

and so on. Currently it is garaged as the tranny went out back in '97. Hoping to

get it taken care of this winter/spring so it will be ready by summer. Have no

idea what's wrong with it, if it can be repaired or needs rebuilt or replaced, and have no

leads on a replacement 3-speed Hydromatic StratoFlite. I'm hoping someone out there may

be able to help.

Thanks, folks.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

welcome to FP! got any pics? anyways, we do have members that are familiar with the older classics. hopefully they get on quick to help out.

http://www.autotran.us/jhmkits1.html

If the transmission needs rebuilding I have heard these are the best guys to deal with older transmission parts.

What is the transmission doing?

Oh Yeah welcome.

Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this site and thought it might get me some help.

I've had my '57 Chieftain since '73 and it's been running off and on since. I would

drive it for a while till something else would go wrong, it would be down till I could get it fixed,

and so on. Currently it is garaged as the tranny went out back in '97. Hoping to

get it taken care of this winter/spring so it will be ready by summer. Have no

idea what's wrong with it, if it can be repaired or needs rebuilt or replaced, and have no

leads on a replacement 3-speed Hydromatic StratoFlite. I'm hoping someone out there may

be able to help.

Thanks, folks.

Welcome to Forever Pontiac. We'd all love to see pics of your '57 Chieftain.

I am one of the old tech guys as hinted above. I own a '72 Lemans Sport Convertible and an '86 Trans Am (only owner). I belong to the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI). I have friends all over too. So I might have some leads.

Now a couple of initial thoughts on your tranny is calling Jasper Transmission. They are nation wide. If you are looking for parts in general, then the monthly POCI publication called Smoke Signals has a large classified section. There is also an online classified section with POCI.org if you are a member.

Hemmings Motor News both printed and online are another excellent source. Also, junk yards in the South West, like Dessert Valley Auto Parts and Memory Lane, might have those hard to find parts that are not reproduced too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the welcomes and replies.

Actually, the transmission isn't doing anything! Back in '97 it was my daily driver.

Went to work one summer day, came out after work and there was a big puddle of fluid under the car and every gear is neutral (except Park, of course. It still locks.)

Later, in '03, I drained the fluid, refilled it, raised the rear, started it and put it in D. The driveshaft

turned, the one rear wheel turned, but it didn't change when I put it in R. But when it was back on the ground

with the weight of the car, it wouldn't move. That's all I know.

If I can figure out how to post my photos here, I'll share them.

I, too, am a member of POCI here in Dayton, but have yet to attend a meeting. I read the Smoke Signals as soon as I get it.

Hoping to attend the next summer event.

Here's the photos I promised.

Pont03.jpg

taken behind my old house in ''02

Pont06.jpg

Pont07.jpg

some shots of the engine - all new ignition parts. Painted the valve covers & voltage reg myself.

The script & indian head look white, but they're painted silver.

Pontenginefrt.jpg

Pontenginert.jpg

Pontenginelt.jpg

voltreg.jpg

Pont05acrpd.jpg

...and this is what I hope it will look like when I'm done (Photoshopped)

PontCustmcrpd.jpg

A fender skirt man !?!? I like it !!! Someone who is into old school looks. You might have to get some different hub caps (like some wire wheel caps) to set off those big ol' white walls.

The valve covers and regulator box like killer. Did you do that yourself?

How about the interior? Do you have a suicide knob on the steering wheel too?

Since your from Dayton, you're to be in the heart of POCI country. So if you are hooked up to Smoke Signals, then you should get some tangible leads. Do you check out the POCI online classifieds too? Hemmings motor news (online and the monthly publication) is an excellent source too.

Here are some parts suppliers for Straoflite transmissions.

http://www.autotran.us/jhmkits1.html

http://www.pontiacparts.net/Mechanical/page105.htm

eBay might also have hard to find parts.

There are also 44 Jasper engine/transmission installers in 25 mile radius of Dayton.

A fender skirt man !?!? I like it !!! Someone who is into old school looks. You might have to get some different hub caps (like some wire wheel caps) to set off those big ol' white walls.

The valve covers and regulator box like killer. Did you do that yourself?

How about the interior? Do you have a suicide knob on the steering wheel too?

Since your from Dayton, you're to be in the heart of POCI country. So if you are hooked up to Smoke Signals, then you should get some tangible leads. Do you check out the POCI online classifieds too? Hemmings motor news (online and the monthly publication) is an excellent source too.

Yeah, I've always dug fender skirts. I'd probably even put on a Continental Kit if I could find one!

Yes, I painted the covers myself, and, no, I don't use a suicide knob.

I like the full wheel covers. Even have a second full set.

The interior is in very poor shape. I plan to have it reupholstered as original. The metal dash is gray,

and will be repainted when I ever get the body done. (I'm thinkin' Black Metalflake or Sparkle and

White Pearlescent. Too much? Opinions, please.

Footnote: in case you hadn't noticed, when I had the exhaust converted to dual (but still using the single exhaust manifold -

they had to do some creative bending!), I had the tips coming out of the bumper corners. They were originally black

blanks which were rusting out anyway.

Good luck finding the correct Continental kit. It would look great on that car. What are your thoughts about the car's paint? Keep it looking factory two tone (white and black) or do you want a different color?

White Pearlescent or white pearl would be good. Black metalflake or sparkle with white pearl might be interesting, but yeah, I think it's a bit too much sparkle. That said, one or the other color can be pearl or flake. Black metal with Cameo white or artic white might do well. The blue/white combo of the day was good. I've like the robin's egg blue and white combo on the '57 Chevys. I've seen salomon and charcoal that works suprising well on Fords and Chevys. Black and red would also be cool.

Now if you go pearl or flake, metallics require a lot more prep and finese in your body work. The panels must be straight or the paint will show all the waves in the panels. So lots and lots of sanding are in that car's future. When it's done, it will be killer though.

The panels must be straight or the paint will show all the waves in the panels. So lots and lots of sanding are in that car's future. When it's done, it will be killer though.

I can vouch for this. The Phoenix shows all the little bumps and bruises really well because of the paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and info. I will be investigating these suggestions during the winter,

and as soon as the cold weather is done, I'll be locking myself in the garage getting it ready for the tranny

repairs. I'll post my progress as it goes. Summer Kruze-Ins, here I come!!