Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

@ THE BEACH

Greetings from Virginia Beach!

Joined a short time back and just checking things out.

Cheers.

CHECKEREDWALL2.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings from Virginia Beach!

Joined a short time back and just checking things out.

Cheers.

CHECKEREDWALL2.jpg

Nice Lemans OHC-6. Is it the 2 bbl or 4 bbl carb? What else does she have? As a fellow Lemans owner, welcome !

Gotta love those classic Pontiacs. Would love to have one myself some day when I get my own garage and have the money. It would be a tough call between a '67 GTO or a '69 Firebird though. :bowdown: Anyway, welcome to the site, and enjoy!

Hey Thanks for the welcomes!

As my name says SPRINT 6

She dose have the SPRINT / SPORTS Package option.

This is the 4bbl high comp OHC engine, The base OHC was a 1.75 bore and referred as a 1bbl.

ENGINE1.jpg

She came with a load of Factory & Dealer goodies and we have added to the list over the years...

OPTIONSLIST001.jpg

If you would like to see more of her stop in at my Domain Page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/764053/1966-pontiac-lemans

Cheers!

Hey Thanks for the welcomes!

As my name says SPRINT 6

She dose have the SPRINT / SPORTS Package option.

This is the 4bbl high comp OHC engine, The base OHC was a 1.75 bore and referred as a 1bbl.

ENGINE1.jpg

She came with a load of Factory & Dealer goodies and we have added to the list over the years...

OPTIONSLIST001.jpg

If you would like to see more of her stop in at my Domain Page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/764053/1966-pontiac-lemans

Cheers!

P1010124.jpg

The man on the left is the one you can thank for your Sprint 6 OHC. His name is Malcolm "Mac" McKeller. He was the premiere engine developer for Pontiac Motor Division. He developed the Super Duty and Ram Air V8 programs. Mac was especially good at cam design. You will often refer to Pontiac guys has having (for example) a McKeller #7 grind cam. Mac is the one on the cover of the Hot Rod Magazine surrounded by all the experimental engines (Delorean set him deliberately on that BTW). Sadly, Mac died this past April. I was privledged to have met him and to have him as a member of my POCI chapter. He is standing next to my father in this 2007 photograph (another great GM engineer in my opinion but I am biased).

I asked Mac what his most memorable assignment was. He surprised me that it was the Sprint 6 OHC. He didn't want to do it, but DeLorean told him to develop this 6-cylinder so they didn't have to ever put a Chevy inline 6 in a Pontiac!!! It was tough, but he did it. It was indeed memorable, he said.

Welcome from Virginia Beach (Until January anyway, but even then I'm only going back to Williamsburg.)

:cheers:

Welcome from Virginia Beach (Until January anyway, but even then I'm only going back to Williamsburg.)

:lol:

• Founders

P1010124.jpg

The man on the left is the one you can thank for your Sprint 6 OHC. His name is Malcolm "Mac" McKeller. He was the premiere engine developer for Pontiac Motor Division. He developed the Super Duty and Ram Air V8 programs. Mac was especially good at cam design. You will often refer to Pontiac guys has having (for example) a McKeller #7 grind cam. Mac is the one on the cover of the Hot Rod Magazine surrounded by all the experimental engines (Delorean set him deliberately on that BTW). Sadly, Mac died this past April. I was privledged to have met him and to have him as a member of my POCI chapter. He is standing next to my father in this 2007 photograph (another great GM engineer in my opinion but I am biased).

I asked Mac what his most memorable assignment was. He surprised me that it was the Sprint 6 OHC. He didn't want to do it, but DeLorean told him to develop this 6-cylinder so they didn't have to ever put a Chevy inline 6 in a Pontiac!!! It was tough, but he did it. It was indeed memorable, he said.

I love reading your stories Frosty! :D Very cool you got to meet him

FP needs a section that is like story time with Frosty :P:lol:

I am good with that. One advantage of growing up in a GM family here in Michigan I guess. I get to meet a lot of neat people and I am privledged to meet and know a small number of the famous ones.

• Founders

I am good with that. One advantage of growing up in a GM family here in Michigan I guess. I get to meet a lot of neat people and I am privledged to meet and know a small number of the famous ones.

If you want to write something for us, feel free to PM me and we can set something up :P No pressure just thought it would be interesting and if you don't mind telling your tales :lol:

Mac's passing was another great loss for we Pontiac enthusiast.

I’m very much aware of his work with the OHC and cams.

I have a copy of his 66 SAE report on the OHC and had hoped to meet and talk with him.

Lost as well is my someday opportunity to meet John Z and Bill Knafel. Just not ment to be I guess.

Some of my Pontiac/OHC heroes.

OHCMAG55.jpg

Here is an old shot of Mac standing next to his 63 with the DOHC V8 still in the bay.

MacsOHCV8GP.jpg

Thanks Man! :P

Mac's passing was another great loss for we Pontiac enthusiast.

I’m very much aware of his work with the OHC and cams.

I have a copy of his 66 SAE report on the OHC and had hoped to meet and talk with him.

Lost as well is my someday opportunity to meet John Z and Bill Knafel. Just not ment to be I guess.

Some of my Pontiac/OHC heroes.

OHCMAG55.jpg

Here is an old shot of Mac standing next to his 63 with the DOHC V8 still in the bay.

MacsOHCV8GP.jpg

Thanks Man! :P

Put meeting Milt Schornack on your list of folks to meet ASAP then. He is still around and a wealth of knowledge. I've met the man twice now, and I have spent 30 minutes or more talking to him each time.

For those of you who don't know Milt, he was the lead mechanic at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac in Royal Oak, Michigan "back in the day". Royal Pontiac was the premiere Pontiac super muscle car dealer - given their location to Pontiac Motor Division, Pontiac,MI and Woodward Avenue. Milt is the guy who wrenched on a lot of the Royal Bobcat cars sold by Royal, plus he worked with Jim Wangers and others at Pontiac for their drag racing programs. He's worked on all Pontiac V8s including legnedary Super Dutys, Ram Airs including the infamous RAM AIR V GTO. Milt is now offering his "Ultimate Bobcat" package to the public.

http://home.comcast.net/~jschornack1/main.html

http://www.widetrackers.com/Schornack.htm

Add Jim Wangers and Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick to this list too. Jim is in his mid-80s and he lives in California but he tours and lectures a lot. Arnie still loves to drag race even today. Doc Watson and Linda Vaughan from Hurst Shifters fame are also still around. I recently meet a man named Paul Deeson. Paul is a retired GM designer. Seems he worked with Delorean and others on the 65-67 GTOs (he designed the boxed GTO logo plus he drew the initial designs for the S10 Blazer/S15 Jimmys once the S10 truck platform developed). More on him at a later date.

Sadly, the OHC tri-power V8 in this picture is no longer in Mac's car. Long story...I talked to Mac's daughter at the tribute car show we had at his former retirement home this past summer. We know where the motor is though. It was very, very finicky to start. Pontiac gave that engine to Mac and installed it in his car as a retirement gift for his years of service to Pontiac. It is only motor from the Hot Rod article that is known to still exist.

Frosty you are correct with the above list being a must meet of Pontiac insiders.

I have been fortunate to have met and speak with Milt over the years in an attempt to get some detailed info on Royals OHC Baby Bobcat kit, but to no avail.

Others I've meet and spoke with are John Sawruk (another great lost) he was amazing with his wealth of detail knowledge on the OHC.

I did at least speak on the phone with Bill Knafel on several occasions but sadly never got to meet him in person.

Ive always wanted to pick him on the 1966 Mystery Tornado OHC Pontiacs his team ran.

Would have been some great stories for sure!

MYSTERYTORNADOS.jpg

Arnie is a good friend of my buddy and we have met up with him at several Pontiac events over the years. He is a good guy and loves to put on a show.