Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

markpetersonii's 71 VW Squareback

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Seatbelts. Pfft. [Cranky old person]Back then we didn't need no stinkin' seatbelts! People today are too soft. [/Cranky old person]

"Back then the windshield was made of tough glass that you didn't go through it!" :P

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the Voltage Regulator today, hoping that, that is what was wrong with the keeping it running... But it wasn't. I'm still convinced it is the generator that needs to get replaced. Which, thank goodness, I bought as well and I'll be putting in that tomorrow since it died on me on my way home tonight... :welcomeFP:

Here are some before and after of the Voltage regulator.

BEFORE:

IMG_3221.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_3223.jpg

Those air cooled flat four engines are stupid easy to rebuild. Also, with only engine oil in the block, less messy too. I helped rebuild a 68 Karmin Ghia motor (basically the same as yours) and teardown took us just under two hours. :yup:

' date='Nov 17 2011, 09:27 AM' post='62092']

Those air cooled flat four engines are stupid easy to rebuild. Also, with only engine oil in the block, less messy too. I helped rebuild a 68 Karmin Ghia motor (basically the same as yours) and teardown took us just under two hours. :yup:

Yeah, It's getting easier and easier to work on this thing. I love it! lol

LS engine? ;)

Uh, probably not... Well, my buddy does have an extra 383 sitting in his garage.

So, after the Voltage regulator was installed I had been having a bring of starting issues. Come to find out that now it is the ignition switch that is screwing up the starting of the Square. One more thing to add to the list... If I can find the right one for my car.

I have replaced to date:

(2) Seat Belts - $49.00

Left Turn Signal Cover - $15.00

(4) Spark plugs - $3.12

Distributor Rotor - $0.76

Distributor Cap - $1.53

Battery - $88.00

Generator - $69.40

"Automatic" Emblem - $5.20

Voltage Regulator - $25.00

Oil Pressure Switch - $8.76

Oil Strainer Cover - $10.12

Oil Strainer - $4.38

(2) Valve Cover Gaskets - $3.12

(2) Heater Hoses - $18.05

(2) Turn Signal Base Units - $25.00

• Founders

ha ha ha...

:lol2: This thing is easier to fix and work on, than the G6 was!

That's a given, it was made before complex computers were invented and cramped engine bays :lol:

so its kinda like a neutral saftey switch?

Yeah, I guess so. A 40 year old one lol

That's a given, it was made before complex computers were invented and cramped engine bays :lol2:

True, the best kind of cars. I don't know if I'll ever have a modern car again. This is just too much fun being able to fix these kinds of things and stuff like that. You learn a lot!