Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

GM car that are based off other GM cars with diff names discussion.

Jedi3

GM car that are based off other GM cars with diff names discussion.

Now im not talking about a Regal, monty, Gand am & cutlass type thing in diff lines. but with in the same brand. (but a suped up le mans is a gto type thing)

Well Here is my list:

Le Mans = GTO (for most of its life no matter how you cutt it)

The 55,56 & 57 150,210 & Bellair = Nomad (buick, pontiac & olds all did the same thing)

The Malibu = chevelle at one time. (just like the GTOs of the same eara since they were the same platform)

Cutlass = a olds 442 but that the same as the Le Mans and the Malibu which all share the same platform and idea of name changing.

Tempest also = a GTO

Caddy de Ville sedan (80s & 90s) = Eldorado coupe.

so what else is there in the GM line that also has a diff name when it has a perf pk, its a coupe or waggon form ect. Like I said its not so much a regal and a monty are the same car but a chevy is a chevy but with diff names. ( Le Mans is a GTO thing)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

There are the trucks made by GM

Chevrolet

C/K trucks C=2 Wheel Drive K=4 Wheel Drive

Blazer, Suburban, Truck the truck could be a base, Cheyenne, Silverado This does not include the special edition trucks.

GMC

Jimmy Suburban, Truck, Sierra, High Sierra

Then there was the GVW ratings

5 Blazer and Jimmy only

10 truck or suburban 1/2 ton truck

20 3/4 ton

30 1 ton

GMC Jimmy SUV = GMC Typhoon

GMC Sonoma pickup truck = GMC Syclone

both are a classic examples of calling it something else with a high power motor, rims and ground affects. lol but both are just a suped up Jimmy & Sonoma. but both bad ass trucks and well forgivable of the name change and probabbly deserving of it. lol

Cadillac Cimarron and the Chevrolet Cavalier...

So, this isn't exactly the thread, but on this particular topic: Pontiac J2000, Pontiac Sunbird, Chevrolet Cavalier, Cadillac Cimmaron, Oldsmobile Firenza... same platform. Way too identical platform borrowing.

/threadjack.

The only thing similar to what this topic is actually about that I can think of off the top of my head is that a Fiero with a Mera kit is just called a Mera. No make, no mention of Fiero. It's just a Mera. It's so weird to me.

• 1 month later...

Alot of people, even Ebay list the Trans Am as a separate model from the Firebird when really it was just a trim level.

Whats really annoying is when people list a car as a Formula Trans AM, theres no such thing its one or the other.

It always make me lol when you see a Camaro, Firebird or Vette for sale on sites and in the paper and they say Camaro coupe. lol like there a need to say coupe. is there a vette sedan? lol

I get annoyed when on TV shows they see a 80s camaro and are like "driver was spotted in a maroon late model sedan"

its not a sedan and I dont know what late model even means, its a freakin camaro wake up and live in the USA!

• Founders

It always make me lol when you see a Camaro, Firebird or Vette for sale on sites and in the paper and they say Camaro coupe. lol like there a need to say coupe. is there a vette sedan? lol

The only reason it's referred to as a "coupe" is to differentiate it from a convertible :D