Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Oil leak on G8 GT need advice

Now that I have asked about my buddies soon to be 08 G6 GT I need some advice on my 09 G8 GT. I have an oil pan gasket leak. I took her into the dealer that's where they told me where the leak is coming from. I have a small dime size spot after I drive it which isn't much since the car is a garage queen. It's still under warranty but I understand there is a lot of labor involved. I don't want to take my car in only to get her home with other issues. Warranty is good until July 2014 and she has 9445 on the clock so I don't have to get the car in right away. If I knew they wouldn't mess anything up I'd make an appointment tomorrow. So what would you guys do drive it like it is or have it repaired?

thanks....

DSC02071-1.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Take it in. When you get her back, check and make sure she's good. If they jack something up take her back in.

:lol:

If you're not satisfied with the work or you have proof they messed something else up just keep going back till it's right and demand they do it for free of course ;)

Take it in. When you get her back, check and make sure she's good. If they jack something up take her back in.

:lol:

If you're not satisfied with the work or you have proof they messed something else up just keep going back till it's right and demand they do it for free of course :rofl:

thanks guys, I may go ahead and try to get her in one day in the next couple of weeks. Just wish people took more pride in their work after all they should do it right the first time… I guess I’m just too freaking particular about my car(s) too....

• Founders

thanks guys, I may go ahead and try to get her in one day in the next couple of weeks. Just wish people took more pride in their work after all they should do it right the first time… I guess I’m just too freaking particular about my car(s) too....

Yup why I like to do most of my work, when I can.

• 2 months later...

I have a 09 GT G8 and an oil leak, dime size at first but increasing. Scheduled for tomorrow at 8AM at Folsom Chevrolet (purchased), CA and see what is going on. Will advise if I learn something.

Mine has 38K miles (2nd owner) but still under full warranty.

Just completed first full maintenance including rotation of fairly new tires. Damned expensive...the 19 inch tires. Salesman said to go to 20" wheels in future to save $ on tires. We'll see.

Am wondering about the "over-speed" settings. Mine was OFF but changed it to 80mph. Have no idea so far what is the difference, and what it represents at the different speed settings: 60, 70 and 80 mph. Is this where "overdrive" kicks in or what? With it turned OFF the past several months I have no complaint since it literally hauls ass. Any advice appreciated.

As a retired paratrooper, OFF may be all I need. This Burgundy Beauty gets compliments every time it is driven and I'm finally in love again since owning a 71 Challenger back in 1970's. Being a defensive driver it is nice to step on it and "get out of trouble as fast as I get into trouble". No longer intimidated when I leave our rural area for Sacramento, or even an occasional trip to LA, Oakland or SF.

I'll be thanking a Veteran every time I see one on 11/11/11, this Friday. Hope you do the same. Regards,

"Doc" Cole :lol:

• Founders

The "overspeed" is just something to warn you if you're speeding. IE the speed limit is 70 so you set it to like 80 (or whenever) so you know you're speeding lol. Should be just a little chime that beeps at you

Yup, Overspeed just goes DING!. I turn mine on at the track so I know when I hit 100.

As far as the oil leak, its a 2 day job, easily. If your car is a garage queen, then I would scope out the dealer and make sure you are ok with the technician that will be doing the job. I also would get under the car myself, perferably with the mechanic and view the leak & undercarriage. The LS engines are pretty well known for having bad rear main seals too. Nothing worse than having the car in for days just to find out 'that wasnt the problem'.