Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Notallthere's 1970 Chevelle Malibu

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

It is not difficult but at times a pain in the ass. It is all about prep and patience. I am far from good but I am better then I was 5 years ago

• Founders

I've never done any major welding tasks but agree w/ Notallthere. Its not the hardest thing out there but certainly have to have patience to learn the craft correctly and to perform it correctly. Luckily I've never owned my own welding equipment, always used my bro-in-laws or back in the day, my universities.

ooh. i kinda like to know how to and be like some of you that can actually do stuff to their car.

Have had a couple friends without garages/equipment sign up at local community college. Already knew everything from body to paint, but got to use the schools state of the art equipment to finish their rides at a fraction of the cost. I'm actually considering it to finish the paint on the GTO.

Hmmm....I've seen that somewhere before JUSTA.

I am impressed with notallthere's welding activities. I definitely got to pay the man a visit to the man-cave and check out the Franken-Chevelle. Nice work pal.

I would date Chaos if I could have that.

Ah, the things we are willing to do for shiny things....

I would pay good money to see the expression on Chaos' face after his first experience with the liquid latex!!!! :lol2:

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

is welding difficult?

The toughest part of welding is reading the puddle. Too many amateurs overlook that, thinking the only reason for the helmet is to protect the eyes. You "can't" see the arc. It's just too bright. But you can see the puddle of molten steel behind it. That's where you want to be looking. The look of the puddle is how you know if you're doing well or just laying bird shit. And that is why top welders don't use $50 harbor freight autodark hoods. The lens is plenty of protection from the arc .... but nowhere clear enough to see the puddle properly.

Good explanation and tip Pro.

Just for the record, this explains notallthere's liquid latex fetish just how again?

I should probably take pictures this week eh.

Read the tracker as most of the projects revolve around that.

Separated the body of the Chevelle and the frame stuck the body in the corner of the garage. Then I stuck a bunch of crap in the car.

IMG_0266_zps8vhdulgl.jpg

Stuck the frame outside. Degreased it.

IMG_0265_zpsludqmmi2.jpg

Bad spots on the frame. Gotta fix those.

IMG_0261_zpskb2buiwg.jpg

IMG_0263_zpsiblwpjhl.jpg

IMG_0259_zpsqebrrdsq.jpg

Started cutting

IMG_0270_zpsxk3ef8nm.jpg

New rear frame section

IMG_0275_zpsfbg21aa3.jpg

IMG_0276_zps0mkrftzs.jpg

You should really have Z cut that joint.

Actually I am going to fish plate it on the inside of the frame and then box the whole rear end. That also why I left the inner part of frame in tact.

Separated the body of the Chevelle and the frame stuck the body in the corner of the garage. Then I stuck a bunch of crap in the car.

Stuck the frame outside. Degreased it.

Bad spots on the frame. Gotta fix those.

IMG_0261_zpskb2buiwg.jpg

IMG_0263_zpsiblwpjhl.jpg

IMG_0259_zpsqebrrdsq.jpg

Daaaammmmnnnn son. Them Canuckistany iron moths had a feast on your frame.