Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Video: Lutz dishes dirt on GM in latest Autoline Detroit

Jedi3

Video: Lutz dishes dirt on GM in latest Autoline Detroit

bob-lutz.jpg

Autoline Detroit recently played host to Bob Lutz, and, as is always the case, the former General Motors vice chairman dished out some great commentary. Lutz was promoting his new book Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business, and talk quickly turned to his role as it related to product development and high-level decision making at GM. While on the topic of brand management, Lutz revealed a few rather interesting tidbits about his former employer:

All Chevrolet vehicles were required to have five-spoke aluminum wheels and a chrome band up front, as part of the Bowtie brand's overall image.

Pontiac was required to utilize "see-through" headrests, despite the fact that they cost more to produce while offering no consumer value.

All Buicks required a sweep spear in the exterior design language.

Cadillac considered building a 550-horsepower supercharged Escalade.

Saturn was working on a seven-passenger Vue.

Many of the non-car person GM board members preferred to drive imports.

Proportion and shape didn't matter as long as all the brand-image boxes were checked.

Lutz provides an interesting look at the type of decision making that forced GM into a position of bankruptcy. The automaker was being run solely by folks focused on techniques and ideals that don't work in the industry. We don't want to give away the entire interview, but it's worth watching all 26 minutes. Click past the jump to see for yourself.

Also, judging solely by the above screenshot, we'll cast a vote for Robert De Niro to play Lutz in the inevitable movie about this period in General Motors' history.

youtube video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O3Nijmh0Ixo#at=36

source:

Autoline Detroit

autoblog.com

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/20/lutz-di...roit/#continued

Gota love Bob Lutz!!!! :bowdown:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Interesting watch... It is sad how GM became obsessed with designing cars in a financial business sense, versus designing a car that has style, soul and desirability. I mean...my GA was a product of this mindset (OMG, holes in my headrests!) and so much falls flat with what the 5th gen GAGT could have been.

No manual was offered with the LA1 motor because GM's financial and researchers figured "there was no desire for a manual transmission for targeted market," and that's where Lutz has a valid point. The engine itself too, which is so bloody outdated it's not even funny. A Nissan Maxima and Altima of the same model year with VQ35 power, makes double the HP my GAGT's LA1 V6 makes...but GM found it financially "inefficient" to design a new powerplant, when the age old 60*V6 pushrod motor was cheap to produce, and just redesigned the L82 for useage in the 5th gen N-body, W-body and U-body minivans.

GM now is showing hope, and changing a few skeptical minds. Cadillac is leading the way for them, mainly thanks to the Escalade and CTS. Chevy's Malibu was a hit, showing they can produce an appealing sedan with nice fit and finish.

The old GM better stay dead,

• Founders

That was good I liked it.

I loved the explanation of the SC Escalade, I don't think it would have stolen people away from a Vette because of the fan base of the Vette and if it did well they probably wanted something bigger anyway.

Seems to be a constant theme going around lately and I agree with it that smart people lack common sense.

yea saying the SC Escalade would steal sales from the Vette is like saying........ wait for it....wait for it................

Is like saying you sell puppies at the pet store and if you also start selling elephants the elephants will steal sales from the puppies. :bowdown:

• Founders

Another thing that hit me was their reporting of revenue and how they all pinned each against each other in GM and localization.

' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:00 AM' post='55676']

The old GM better stay dead,

Well, I like the GM of my cars era. So much style back in the 70's

IMO old GM 60's and older were great great cars and the 50's eara GM was a GOD!

• Founders

IMO old GM 60's and older were great great cars and the 50's eara GM was a GOD!

:)

The management style from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s needs to stay dead.

Old GM from birth to early 70s needs to come back because that was when like Joe said it was a God!