Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Knocking Sound?

engine turns on, car drives. but there is a knocking sound. what could this mean? oh and its not my Pontiac. it is '66 Ventura...that i may get. maybe. thinking about it.

thanks.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 81 Monty use to knock and always ment I was a qt or more low on oil. (lifters knocking/ticking)

Is that the kind of sound its making?

• Founders

My 81 Monty use to knock and always ment I was a qt or more low on oil. (lifters knocking/ticking)

Is that the kind of sound its making?

Probably the issue with it being and classic car. Do you know when the last time it was started up and/or how often it is started up?

i should have mentioned i havent see/heard it in person. i have seen only pics. the owner says "motor has knock noise, but it does run. I move it around the yard." so i wouldnt know what else to say.

• Founders

If your serious about it, go look at it, take a video (getting the sound of it and other issues with the car) and we'll help you the best we can to narrow it down. Another thing I highly suggest is if you are serious about it take it either to a mechanic or bring a friend who knows a lot about cars as a second opinion. Even if its a build car, its best to have a second opinion.

Once I get enough money my dream is either a '69 Camaro or GTO or a 2006 GTO as build cars. For all these cars I will be bringing along a mechanic friend as a second opinion.

If your serious about it, go look at it, take a video (getting the sound of it and other issues with the car) and we'll help you the best we can to narrow it down. Another thing I highly suggest is if you are serious about it take it either to a mechanic or bring a friend who knows a lot about cars as a second opinion. Even if its a build car, its best to have a second opinion.

Once I get enough money my dream is either a '69 Camaro or GTO or a 2006 GTO as build cars. For all these cars I will be bringing along a mechanic friend as a second opinion.

at this point im interested in it. but "serious" to buy it tomorrow, no. i have a friend who knows a few things so i would take him. i thought i would post here and see what comes up as possible answers to make me think "that would cost more to fix, so no" or "a simple fix and go get the car, yes". so ill think about going to see it.

I'd actually see the car in person, and get a better idea of what the knock could exactly be. It might just need a top end rebuild, or the oil sending unit could be clogged up with sludge.

Hmmm, dunno, this brings back tonight at work for me... :agreed: The extra STT we have set up for classes, we the Auxillary Generator we had on it threw a rod tonight, still running, but has a really bad knock and spraying oil everywhere through the exhaust....

If there is a knock in the motor I would plan in rebuilding it. On the other hand I thought I had a knock in the motor of the truck at one point and it turned out the transmission bolts came loose. I would want to see it in person and bringing a stethoscope to see where the knock is coming from maybe useful.

i might go see it on sunday. for video, is my cell enough? or should i jus take the vid cam?

;) You said you've only seen pictures of it right??

Well, I'll be the first!!!

:pics_NOW:

I love that gosh darn emoticon :)

:) You said you've only seen pictures of it right??

Well, I'll be the first!!!

:pics_NOW:

I love that gosh darn emoticon :agreed:

;) and yes. honestly, i thought i was gonna be asked when i first posted it, but didnt happend.

3k43o03pa5O75T45R4a1k1e0100d4c3e81a3e.jpg

3ne3oc3l85O85Td5S2a1gb75950a418fb1fbe.jpg

3n13k33lc5O45Pc5R1a1gdcf9dcb209b61520.jpg

3n83m13l55Oc5Tc5P4a1f02424f9677a01e12.jpg

3nb3m73p65O45T35R2a1g69c9528e45571f87.jpg

3n13m23of5O75P45Rca1g6cd37571a0881654.jpg

The body looks like it's in great condition and the interior dosent look too bad either.

Looks like a great project car and not needing much work and worth putting or rebuilding the engine.

GET IT! :dancingpontiac:

the body does look good in the pics. but it can actually be good or look good cuz it might be hiding something. who knows till i go see it.

"All original

All complete

black interior

has some rust issues on lower back window and trunk.

motor starts and drives , but make a noise. may need a motor. has 289 w. auto trans .

Great Project

Have original hub caps skirts"

$2k obo.