Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I've fallen in love with an Austrailian

I'm fairly certain that as soon as the transmission is fixed on the Dirty Bird its going bye bye and I'm getting a G8 GT. Ive yet to test drive one but the more I read up on them its a slam dunk to me and everything that I'm looking for.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

' date='May 7 2011, 06:49 AM' post='53727']

G8GTs are delishus. Mmmmmmm....

:D and OMG :) Chaos and I agree on something! :lol:

Theres nothing in the GXP that I would want with the exception of the Brembos. I dont want a manual I'm tired of driving stick and don't want to be bothered anymore. The GXP is 7-8k more for nothing more than 40hp, better brakes, ugly wheels and badging. No thanks. If I'm going to spend 7-8k more on a G8 it would be for a TVS 2300 Supercharger!

Most importantly the GXP does not have active fuel management, the beast needs as much help as it can get with gas costing what it does

Now its just a matter of what color I want, im thinking red, blue or silver, leaning towards red though, its my fav color and is always the poster child color of pontiac.

10k, only reason im letting it go that cheap (I paid 14,500 for it 2 years ago) is that the tranny struggles to shift 1-2, ive been told it could even be a kickdown switch or something? I know nothing about automatic trannys its witchcraft to me. It runs fine, drove it yesterday actually and cleaned it up. Been this way for almost a year and a half actually just havent had the time to take it anywhere to get diagnosed. Hardly ever drive it anymore because of that.

• Founders

I'd personally go with the Blue because I am mega in love with it, plus I'm not really a fan of red cars. All in all it's your car though.

I'd say with the tranny issue on the dirty bird, it's a nice price to ask. I wouldn't fall too much below it but it's a definitely a good price.

yea if i went to boost id certainly turn off the DOD

but I think ill be plenty happy with it with just an intake, exhaust and freight train torque

I have HP Tuners already so I could do some stuff with the tune, though I really don't want to mess with it since I've never worked with a V8 PCM. I'd prob just use a superchips Cortex programmer they seem pretty effective

Theres nothing in the GXP that I would want with the exception of the Brembos. I dont want a manual I'm tired of driving stick and don't want to be bothered anymore. The GXP is 7-8k more for nothing more than 40hp, better brakes, ugly wheels and badging. No thanks. If I'm going to spend 7-8k more on a G8 it would be for a TVS 2300 Supercharger!

Most importantly the GXP does not have active fuel management, the beast needs as much help as it can get with gas costing what it does

Now its just a matter of what color I want, im thinking red, blue or silver, leaning towards red though, its my fav color and is always the poster child color of pontiac.

i disagree with this post in its entirety. for modding the GT, enjoy trying to ELIMINATE that fuel management system to make more power because it will constantly rob you. the GXP is an LS3...solid as shit. that 40 hp can be turned into 140 in a snap. wheels=sex too.

and yes it drinks gas but thats obvious. no one buys a GTO or G8 for MPG's and if you do, you are an idiot. you gotta pay to play.

Agreed with Eric. It's night and day when comparing the L76 to the LS3. Not just in terms of out of the box HP, but like Erik said, the LS3 is more responsive to mods than the L76. To boot, I've been seeing G8GT owners have issues with the stock AFM cam, most swap it out for a regular aggressive cam anyway.

The thing is I really dont like the GXP wheels, I like the 19s that are in the sport package. I'm also not looking to mod it like crazy, thats what I'm keeping the cobalt for. I want something nice that I dont screw with. Id be perfectly happy with an intake, tune and a Borla catback, really I have no desire to start ripping stuff apart inside the engine. I want to keep it nice.

I find that the more I mod, the more I wish I never did, theres so many things I hate on the cobalt right now because of that.

Biggest reason is I flat out cant afford a GXP, so no matter how awesome it is, its not an option for me.

your cars are very much backwards. you DD the cobalt as its a great car with some power and reliability with great MPG. the G8 has potential to be epic. the balt has limitations, namely its displacement.

Seeing as how ZZP just made 900whp with my engine, depends what your definition of "limitations" is.

If I was concerned about all out speed I'd keep the dirty bird because that will spank any G8 with ALOT less money put into it. I'm getting it as more of a cruiser and nice daily summer car. Its not going to see a dragstrip, ever. Though I would feel alot more comfortable driving it at the limit than what I would the dirty bird.

The Bird is like an axe murderer waiting to hack you when driving hard, back end has a mind of its own and steps out VERY quickly, theres no electronics like traction control or stability control. For that reason the Dirty bird has never been dragged. I'm afraid of wadding it up into a concrete barrier and for what a piece of paper? Not worth it, theres only so many of them I'd never be able to live with myself knowing I destroyed one.

Update, test drove one yesterday, in some ways it far exceeded my expectations and in others fell a bit short.

I certainly love the looks of the car and from a practicality standpoint its far better than either of the cars I have now. Its so quiet and smooth, if you didnt know any better you would think its a lexus. I expected a bit more noise and harshness from something able to have such performance. When you start it up even its no louder than a V6, no indication of whats under there.

The performance though is where I felt it was lacking. It didn't seem to pack the punch that I'm used to and by that I mean hitting the gas and then feeling yourself pressed into the seat and your eyeballs being forced into your head. Just didn't feel as torquey as the dirty bird or even my Cobalt for that matter. I wonder though if thats all factory doing and I'm sure with some modification it would turn it into the bad boy its supposed to be.

The handling and braking also werent quite what I'm used to. It does feel big and the center of gravity is noticeably higher than what I'm used to. Again though what I'm used to is no longer what I want, and thats to be hurled and jarred around.

All and all I thought the performance would be what impressed me but it was the creature comforts that blew me away.

• Founders

The G8 in some ways was supposed to be the cheap man's M3, if you wanna look at it that way. That's why it has a luxury appeal and is a performance vehicle. There a video of Clarkson driving the Vauxhall version of the GXP and saying it's better than a an M3 and Audi's.

I test drove a G8 back when they first came out and I liked everything about it except for a few small things but overall I was impressed. Then again I was comparing it to my G6 :lol:

MMmmmm.....G8!!

I hope to some day get a G8, I think they are sexy as hell bone stock!!!

Seeing as how ZZP just made 900whp with my engine, depends what your definition of "limitations" is.

If I was concerned about all out speed I'd keep the dirty bird because that will spank any G8 with ALOT less money put into it. I'm getting it as more of a cruiser and nice daily summer car. Its not going to see a dragstrip, ever. Though I would feel alot more comfortable driving it at the limit than what I would the dirty bird.

The Bird is like an axe murderer waiting to hack you when driving hard, back end has a mind of its own and steps out VERY quickly, theres no electronics like traction control or stability control. For that reason the Dirty bird has never been dragged. I'm afraid of wadding it up into a concrete barrier and for what a piece of paper? Not worth it, theres only so many of them I'd never be able to live with myself knowing I destroyed one.

buy a mercedes. if you dont care about speed, just buy something that is comfy and slow.

your car faster than a G8 with less money involved? doubtful beyond question. it might be faster for one pass before something snaps due to old age and too much power.

if you can't handle taking a car down a drag strip in a completely straight line and you aren't making over like 500 hp, you are a driving catastrophe. its so easy to go down a drag strip it's painful (doing it well on the other hand is hard) hold it straight and hit the gas. you are more likely to crash your car on your commute than at a strip. you have no distractions, its straight, and the only traffic you have is moving in the same direction as you are about 20 feet to your left or right.

im tired of people buying speed cars to drive them like grandmothers. buy the V6 G8 or a cadillac. no point in you wasting a hefty motor on something you will hardly use.

Caddy/V6 G8/Mercedes/3 series BMW seems about perfect for you.

I would never buy a German trash heap. The V6 GTs are too slow, I can't drive something that does 15s. I don't drive like a Grandma thats for damn sure.

The G8 GT as it is stock is pretty much perfect to me as is. Whats stupid is people buying a car for 30k new and then putting on a cam that might give them 30hp and gives them 12mpg and a shitty broken down sounding idle. I'm sorry but that's just not cool to me in any way shape or form. I'd much rather put an intake and exhaust with a tune in a single day pick up 40-50HP keep stupid awful noises away and actually improve the mileage to something respectable for what it is.