Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

looking to get some ideas on how i can add power

Can anyone help me out with some good ideas on what i can do to add horsepower to my 2.4 twin cam i want to put a supercharger in but don't know where to find one

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

ForeverPontiac.com decal I hear they give 50hp!! :)

:)

All depends what you're going after, what you have now, etc...

A good supercharger might be a hard find for cheap but like anything depends where you're looking.

ForeverPontiac.com decal I hear they give 50hp!! :D

:lol:

but they go by the pair so youre really getting 100HP! :lol:

You'll want to talk to Craig, he has a supercharged LD9 powered GA like yours. I'm not so familiar with this engine past basic bolt on performance and maintenance.

But I'm telling you right now, boost is NOT cheap. Be prepared to sink at least $4K in the car as far as doing a legit build.

' date='Apr 11 2011, 04:26 PM' post='52410']

You'll want to talk to Craig, he has a supercharged LD9 powered GA like yours. I'm not so familiar with this engine past basic bolt on performance and maintenance.

But I'm telling you right now, boost is NOT cheap. Be prepared to sink at least $4K in the car as far as doing a legit build.

the junk yards around me are not the greatest here not much to choose from what about a engine swap could i do a 3800 series 3 swap and changing the trans and computer and wiring or is that more work i've thought about that but not sure if that is going to cost me a arm and a leg or what like yall are saying look in the junk yards but when buying from there there is no guarentee wether or not the stuff is good any good sites yall would recomend for performance parts

Can anyone help me out with some good ideas on what i can do to add horsepower to my 2.4 twin cam i want to put a supercharger in but don't know where to find one

See when it comes to newer cars im new to it i want to do bolt ons but not to sure of where and what brands to go with

Oh god, not another N-body 90*V6 swap.

Don't bother, it'll be an electrical nightmare. Work with what you have, your motor has plenty of potential.

To boot, the superchargers for the LD9/quad4 motors was strictly aftermarket, you won't find any in junkyards.

' date='Apr 11 2011, 05:48 PM' post='52415']

Oh god, not another N-body 90*V6 swap.

Don't bother, it'll be an electrical nightmare. Work with what you have, your motor has plenty of potential.

To boot, the superchargers for the LD9/quad4 motors was strictly aftermarket, you won't find any in junkyards.

where can i find one online

GM Performance used to make kits, dunno if they still make them, as they currently make roots style superchargers for Ecotecs, mainly the L61 (setup like the LSJ motor)

' date='Apr 11 2011, 04:26 PM' post='52410']

i know it wont be cheap but in the end it will be all worth it cuz where im at ive seen one very lightly modded grand am so i know there arent many around me all i ever see is talons and eclipses and civic and quite frankly its is getting old i dont want to be like all them

Alright kids. First off, GM is not building the supercharger kit for the LD9 anymore, but some dealers still have some kits on the shelf. Part number is 12498660. Call a dealer and find out who may still have them. Or search online. They are cheap now. Here is a video on mine when I had the kit on.

Next, 3800 swapping... I will tell you first hand that if you need to ask yourself about it, then its a flat out NO. You need to swap the whole front end of the 3800 car pretty much. Yes a wiring nightmare. Welding will be involved too. It would be a project car and no longer a reliable daily driven car.

Lastly, if your car is a 95, well then the supercharger kit wouldnt even work. Your manifold is a different pattern than the LD9. If you have a 95 it should be a quad4 motor. Yes there is a difference. And those cant be tuned you have to get a chip or stand alone, all this crap to make a boost application work.

So if you have the Quad4 your best option is to have the motor built. Or swap in a W41 if you can find one. Thats the HIGH OUTPUT Quad4 motor. Or get custom with a turbo kit. But first thing is first. What engine do you have? The 2.3 Quad4, or 2.4 Twin Cam?

I looked into the 4th gens a bit more (I'm a V6 dude, I don't know the GM four cylinders as well as Craig :D ) and he HAS to have a quad4 motor. The LD9s came in the refreshed 4th gens (96-98)

All in all, it's a lot of money as I figured to make it quick. If you're mechanically inclined, and have a good understanding of mechanical know how, and a few friends who know what they're doing, then you'll have a fun project. But if you don't know a ratchet from a pipe wrench...then avoid at all costs. :lol: but if that is the case, simple bolt ons will do for you. Intake and exhaust are very rewarding mods on a daily driver.

' date='Apr 11 2011, 09:41 PM' post='52434']

I looked into the 4th gens a bit more (I'm a V6 dude, I don't know the GM four cylinders as well as Craig B) ) and he HAS to have a quad4 motor. The LD9s came in the refreshed 4th gens (96-98)

Thats what I said. But he refers to his engine more than once as a 2.4 Twin Cam and most people who have the Twin Cam like to refer to it as a Quad4... Except he actually has a Quad4 but keeps refering to it as a Twin Cam. So I dont know if there is a story I am missing or something. Engine could have been swapped in, who knows. Or someone put the wrong ignition cover on lol.

Yes Quad4forums is where its at for this. Im on there too lol. Its been a while.

If you look at his introduction thread he mentions that he stated he had the wrong engine. He since has looked at it and realized he has the quad 4.

Here:

yeah i just looked and duh i dont know how i mixed up which motor i had your right i have the quad 4

Well, considering (not saying you're stupid) but you seem to have about my intelligence level when it comes to working on cars. Seems like you know a little bit, got the basics, could do a few things yourself. For better top end power your best bet for exhaust would be a resonator delete, and a flowmaster 80 series all 2.25". Then, pull your junk stock air box off, and throw a K&N Filter on the end of that intake tube. That's the wicked cheap way to go because you wouldn't pay for a new intake tube. You can pick up cheap kits for Cold air/short ram intake on ebay if you want, otherwise www.siliconeintakes.com has all the parts for you to throw together your own set up. All in all these cheap and easy mods should put you up appx. 10-15 HP, and will probably run you (depending on exhaust install) $200-250ish.

My van has Cold Air on it is you can see and when I installed that, noticed a huge difference in the 30-45 MPH, and 55-70 MPH range. Just put a K&N on my gf's grand prix and hers sounds a lot better, and also has much better acceleration. I'm waiting to do an 80 series on the van, it's got a dynomax crossflow right now which is good enough (but I want louder.) I replaced my resonator with a glasspack, sounds pretty good and it did help with top end power a quite a bit.

That's the cheapest "bolt-on" you're gonna get my friend. Good luck on the performance and work!

Alright kids. First off, GM is not building the supercharger kit for the LD9 anymore, but some dealers still have some kits on the shelf. Part number is 12498660. Call a dealer and find out who may still have them. Or search online. They are cheap now. Here is a video on mine when I had the kit on.

Next, 3800 swapping... I will tell you first hand that if you need to ask yourself about it, then its a flat out NO. You need to swap the whole front end of the 3800 car pretty much. Yes a wiring nightmare. Welding will be involved too. It would be a project car and no longer a reliable daily driven car.

Lastly, if your car is a 95, well then the supercharger kit wouldnt even work. Your manifold is a different pattern than the LD9. If you have a 95 it should be a quad4 motor. Yes there is a difference. And those cant be tuned you have to get a chip or stand alone, all this crap to make a boost application work.

So if you have the Quad4 your best option is to have the motor built. Or swap in a W41 if you can find one. Thats the HIGH OUTPUT Quad4 motor. Or get custom with a turbo kit. But first thing is first. What engine do you have? The 2.3 Quad4, or 2.4 Twin Cam?

2.3 quad four dont know how i mixed up motors prolly from the last grand am i had which sadly i junked when i shouldn't have i found a site where i can get chips which i will prolly do this summer thanks for the awesome input

sell the car and buy something that semi-fast to begin with.

not being a dick whatsoever, but that is THE BEST advice i will give. trust me on this one, ive been in your shoes, completed your dream, and then traded it in because once you do all you can do, you will still want to be faster.

your best bet for exhaust would be a resonator delete, and a flowmaster 80 series all 2.25".

Ack, no. He has a DOHC 4 cylinder motor. A chambered muffler like a Flowmaster 80 would sound like absolute crap. To boot, it's a crossflow muffler, which hangs transversely under the rear bumper. In the case of the 4th gen Grand Am, this setup is not possible due to the trunk setup, a dual muffler setup is what these cars use (look at GT models)

Also, Erik has a point...quad4 cars are fun to tinker with, but you won't ever go as fast as you really think it will. Find a better platform with more aftermarket support (performance, not just looks) and you'll be happy.

uhh-hmm.. :bacon:

Unless you do a HO swap, yes you can only get so much out of a '95 2.3. But Quad4s can be very fast, it just depends on how much time and money you're willing to invest. :lol:

• Founders

uhh-hmm.. :bacon:

Unless you do a HO swap, yes you can only get so much out of a '95 2.3. But Quad4s can be very fast, it just depends on how much time and money you're willing to invest. ;)

It's all on your personal preferences, we went over this on the G6 forums, Erik can back me up on this. I personally love the G6 but know its nowhere near a race car, thus I'll be using the thousands of dollars spent to mod it and get a faster car that I can get faster with. I'm more than excited to keep the 6 as a DD and that's what it will do :lol:

but if you're the person who likes to build rare cars then that's something as well.

All depends what you want to do and go to.